TA Rifle Association

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Kazz, Jan 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys,
    Basically I'm going to be spending the next 2, possibly 3 years, getting shuffled around the country every 3-6 months, which is going to make it nigh on impossible to be part of a local rifle club, so I'm looking at joining TARA so I can have a club to shoot with at Bisley. The problem is, I've not been able to find anything online about how to join, and when they shoot, and the PSIs at my unit don't know anything either. Does anyone know how often they shoot, and how I'd go about joining?
  2. It doesn't really operate as a club in the same way that your local club does, but more like the NRA or NSRA (the last letter in all three is "Association" - they are all governing bodies); if I remember correctly, you are a member of TARA by virtue of being in the TA.

You might want to try joining the Army Target Shooting Club, based at Bisley, which does operate as a club. it It sounds like rifle storage will be an issue, so you could always just stay a member of your current club and keep your kit there.

The next question is "what disciplines"?

Link to TARA/CCRS
  3. I've looked into the ATSC before and was told it's not an option as it's regular army only. Rifle storage isn't a problem for me, it's just the issue of being able to go and shoot with other people. I don't mind shooting on my own, but it's not particularly economical. My discipline is Target Rifle, I probably should have mentioned that at the start as it makes quite a big difference.
  4. I'm not sure thats the case - they take my money and that of several other non-regular fossils...

If you join the NRA, you can of course just shoot on your own at Bisley, or with a couple of other members.
  5. I resemble that remark........
  6. Me too...
  7. You may just have got away with it. Several members of HBSA have been told - its no TA! (Even though at least two of us were in a "good regiment".)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. One point to note is that during Service Weapons meeting, it used to function as the ARA Officers' Mess (i.e. no TA, you've got Derby Lodge, be off with you). All it takes is a bit of confusion over what you were asking / who was telling you, and voila.

Of course, it could just be that after the horror of allowing a STAB like me to join, they've decided better of it all ;)
  9. TA with guns, scary scary stuff!
  10. Nope. The Officers' Mess function was/is well known.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well they turned down Big Mark H the HBSA range officer who was HAC, its obviously a place with no taste and should be avoided!
  12. Bloody hell!
    The man would be an asset to the ATSC, it's a shame that they can only see TR as their future.
    It does make me laugh when I see the ATSC logo on the wall outside showing crossed No.4's in SR"b" configuration, they told the LERA sec they wouldn't have an "Historic" section in the club yet managed to host the Classic SMLE shoot for years.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. In Mark's case it is simply the rest of the Army getting their own back for the HAC politely refusing to join the "new" Territorial Force in 1908. It took separate Act of Parliament ( the Honourable Artillery Company Act 1908 ) to get the HAC in.

We're probably not allowed in the TA Rifle Association either.
  14. You can join as an associate member if you were TA; that's what I did.

Personally I'm uncomfortable with that given that TA soldiers are good enough to get killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. Its not something I want to make an issue out of because I very rarely get down to Bisley and I've never shot with the ATSC but nevertheless....