TA & Reserves

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
The TA are part of the Reserves - the Reserves includes RAFvR, RNR, RMR, various types of Cadets (Incl OTC) and Cadet Instructors/Officers, and many tens of thousands of ex-Regs.

Complex issue, can't be explained in a couple of paragraphs. Read the Reserve Forces Act for all the real gen.

The distinction is blurring. The Territorials were a separate army, but it's a bit academic whether they still have all the bits necessary to function as a stand-alone force. The Reserves have substantially been formed of ex-Regular servicemen who elect to be mobilised in time of emergency.

Now, there's a tendency to think of the Terriers as Reserves, even to the point that some units tag on a (R) sub-nominal instead of the traditional (V). Depending on your point of view, it's either ally or waltish.

Edited to add:

Think of the Terriers as having been a part-time army while reservists were individual replacements. The current vogue is to use the Terriers as individual replacements, hence the confusion.

Bravo_Bravo said:
putteesinmyhands said:
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use That Word again, save in a thread about dogs.

It reeks of the long retired antediluvian duffer.
I'm not retired yet.

I like the term. It reflects tenacity and not being afraid of the big boys. Being called a "Reserve" insults me, though.

Hobo-Ken said:
Bravo_Bravo said:
putteesinmyhands said:
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use That Word again, save in a thread about dogs.

Correct. There's a perfectly good alternative word. STABs.
Wrong. S.T.A.B. is an acronym not a word. The exact term for an acronym that can be said escapes me... for the moment.

R14D said:
Hobo-Ken said:
Bravo_Bravo said:
putteesinmyhands said:

Wrong. S.T.A.B. is an acronym not a word. The exact term for an acronym that can be said escapes me... for the moment.
Isn't it called an acronym? If it can't make a word, it'd just be an abbreviation.

My error. S.T.A.B. is an initialisation... it can be said as a word and therefore becomes an acronym.

R14D takes himself outside, and has a word with himself.

Bravo_Bravo said:
putteesinmyhands said:

Its what the Queen calls us! Getting my gong from HM, she asked me how long I had been in the Terriers. If its good enough for her....

MightyBigEgo said:
Bravo_Bravo said:
putteesinmyhands said:

Its what the Queen calls us! Getting my gong from HM, she asked me how long I had been in the Terriers. If its good enough for her....
That's one argument won in the most decisive of fashions I'd say.

Jiblit said:
Hobo-Ken said:
Bravo_Bravo said:
putteesinmyhands said:

And if you dont like STAB's you could opt for Part Timers..
Technically, no. "Casual labourers" perhaps?

Bravo_Bravo said:
putteesinmyhands said:

Well I actually like it...my uncle, who joined the RA TA in 1938 said to me in 1979 "Ah Cuddles me boy, I see you have become one of the Terriers." It was as if in his mind there was a connection between the Terriers of 1908, 1914, 1939 and beyond.

I also like the fightiness implicit in the word Terrier - although no doubt given recent events in our urban centres "STAB" has all the fightiness the yoof require!

MightyBigEgo said:
Bravo_Bravo said:
putteesinmyhands said:

He shoots...he scores! Well posted that man.