TA & Reserves

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by randomguy, Mar 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are the TA & the reserves the same thing?

Do they have the same pay and terms?

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

The TA are part of the Reserves - the Reserves includes RAFvR, RNR, RMR, various types of Cadets (Incl OTC) and Cadet Instructors/Officers, and many tens of thousands of ex-Regs.

Complex issue, can't be explained in a couple of paragraphs. Read the Reserve Forces Act for all the real gen.

3. The distinction is blurring. The Territorials were a separate army, but it's a bit academic whether they still have all the bits necessary to function as a stand-alone force. The Reserves have substantially been formed of ex-Regular servicemen who elect to be mobilised in time of emergency.

Now, there's a tendency to think of the Terriers as Reserves, even to the point that some units tag on a (R) sub-nominal instead of the traditional (V). Depending on your point of view, it's either ally or waltish.

Edited to add:

Think of the Terriers as having been a part-time army while reservists were individual replacements. The current vogue is to use the Terriers as individual replacements, hence the confusion.

4. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use That Word again, save in a thread about dogs.

It reeks of the long retired antediluvian duffer.

5. Correct. There's a perfectly good alternative word. STABs.

6. I'm not retired yet.

I like the term. It reflects tenacity and not being afraid of the big boys. Being called a "Reserve" insults me, though.

7. And if you dont like STAB's you could opt for Part Timers..

8. Wrong. S.T.A.B. is an acronym not a word. The exact term for an acronym that can be said escapes me... for the moment.

9. Isn't it called an acronym? If it can't make a word, it'd just be an abbreviation.

10. STABs is fine; the T-word is just wrong.

11. ...and in the COE Terries is even worse....

12. My error. S.T.A.B. is an initialisation... it can be said as a word and therefore becomes an acronym.

R14D takes himself outside, and has a word with himself.

13. I am proud to be a STAB = Simply The Army's Best !

Stilts

14. What is the deal with leaving the reserves? Do you have to stay for a certain amount of time? Or can you just hand in one months notice?

15. Do you mean the TA?

Check your PMs.