TA Regulations - any point any more?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Jun 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Is there any point in having these any more as there is no way they can be updated to reflect the unending stream of changes which are forced on the TA?

2. The only things in life that are certain are death, taxes and change.
    Times are changing, and we must change with them, the TA Regs were written a while ago, it may be time to review them. Or do what they do with pamphlets - issue amendments that pile up in the store until Pte Bloggs has a spare MTD and spends a day inserting them into the Pams!! Oh the joys!!
  3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You have good point. QRR might need a bit of tweaking to include the TA but is there a need for separate regs?
  4. I'm amazed we even bother with TA Regs, seeing as the vast majority of the NRPS / Reg staff, ie PSI's either don't know them, don't bother with them or even worse fcukin make the rules up to suit!!!

From bitter experience, try and point out what they are doing is actually contrary to TA Regs, ........ :roll:
  5. As I understand it, they are being looked at just right now. Thing is, they do offer some interesting opportunities, if only people read them....without them, will we not finally be part time regulars?
  6. msr

msr LE

We already are. One example: JPA. No mention in TA regs for the requirement to use JPA for MS matters, just a simple form. Try telling that to your Adjt...

3.265. Reports are to be completed as outlined below:
    a. TA Recruits and Trainees. Recruits & Trainees do not require CRs during their first 2 years of training. However, they are to receive reports from training establishment staff for the TA CMS(R) and Phase 2 courses. In addition, unit recruit training staff should maintain continuous assessments during the TA Foundation Skills training and while soldiers are completing the balance of Phase 1 training after completion of the TA CMS(R) course.

b. TA Private Soldiers. Private soldiers are to receive their first CR on an AF B2047(TA) at the end of their third TA Training Year.

c. OTC Officer Cadets. CRs are not required for OTC officer cadets. However, candidates for a commission will require a pre-RMAS report.

d. TA Lance Corporals and above. All TA NCOs and Wos are to receive an annual CR at the end of each TA Training Year.
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

So TA Regs lag behind the changes in MS activity and requirements? No great surprises there. Do you propose to dig your heels in on the grounds of the "but the TA regs say so, and we've always done it this way" defence?

If you follow that logic we should also dispose of all pamphlets because there is usually a time lag between the identification of the need for an amendment, the drafting of said amendment, approval, printing, circulation and the biggest lag of all - updating the pamphlet.
  8. msr

msr LE

Not at all, but a single point of reference, kept up to date, would be very welcome.

It could also serve as a conduit for all the changes which are coming through the system and affecting the TA.

Happy to see them presented online (the armynet ones are one edition behind the times :( ) with the changes made accordingly.

Would give me a warm, fuzzy feeling that someone is actually tracking all the changes which flow in an unending stream from LAND.

9. I would agree with most of the comments already expressed on this thread. There are always classic examples of out of date training/ pam's contradicting what someone else has just taught/ told you (OntheBus may be aware of one to do with the medics at our Bde HQ at present as an example). What is absolutely insane is that on ArmyNet's own websites, School of I for example, have advice and information that is years out of date (courses and the like). Surely, it is not beyond the whit of man to insist that all units keep their Army Net pages up to date and that there all PAMS are kept in PDF format, up to date, ready for downloading with an email alert to inform units/ sub units/ individuals of changes? Or am I being ridiculously naive? :?
  10. BuggerAll

There is a difference between Regulations and Pamphlets. The former have the force of law behind them and the latter are training aids.

The problem that has been suggested is that people are being asked to do things that run contrary to TA Regs in order to fit in with a badly programed computer system.

As I said earlier on I cannot see any reason to continue with TA Regs but QRR will need tweaking to reflect the needs of the reserve element.
  11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

12. BuggerAll

I take your point about PAM 21 but what would happen if you told the investigators that you did not follow Pam 21 because you were following 'current practise'.

Why would you imagine that there would be any sadness at getting rid of TA specific ways of doing things? What people are saying is that they are not happy about being asked to do things that run contrary to regulations. If you want things done differently then change the regulations.
  13. Probably over simplistic but why not just re-categorise the TA once and for all as 'ready reservists' or some such name and re-write QR's to accommodate both full and part time soldiers?
  14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Until a suggested new practice is accepted for inclusion in Pam 21, then it is an incorrect practice - no matter how much sense it makes to you. I am sure that there are more experienced SASC bods who will know the detail better than I do, but I would suggest using "current practice" as a defence for not following Pam 21 leads to a loss of qualification (at best).

I take it your second paragraph was tongue in cheek? There are people on here who would have the State in mourning for every single change to the TA, no matter how much it is needed or how relevant to capability.
  15. BuggerAll

That is the point I'm making. You seem happy to abandon one set of regulations but not another. Who gets to choose which regulations we should follow and which are inconvenient?

I'm sure there are but its not my experience of the TA in general. In fact most resistance to change I come across is from the regular side.