TA recruiting posters - how easy is this?

I am after 1x A5 poster to put in my local supermarket.

Why can it not be as easy as this: http://www.freepdfcards.com ?

Just need to create a similar site where you add the type of unit / unit name / address / contact number and off you go. All produced to 'brand standards' and instantly available for printing.

Now, if we had a graphic designer and a web designer who were out of work...

msr

Something like this?

Other units also available for the scruffy oiks.

msr said:
Hang around a couple of months, and I'm sure you'll be able to take your pick :x

Seriously though, if it's got to be A5 (filofax size), you don't need a lot of design. You've got enough space for about 4 words, in a font size big enough for people to see from about 10 feet away. "Want to be a soldier?", with contact details at the bottom,and a picture of an unpaid extra from Ross Kemp's latest series, and the job's done.

Is direct mailing to all the 17-year-olds on the electoral roll illegal these days?

angular said:
msr said:
Hang around a couple of months, and I'm sure you'll be able to take your pick :x

Seriously though, if it's got to be A5 (filofax size), you don't need a lot of design. You've got enough space for about 4 words, in a font size big enough for people to see from about 10 feet away. "Want to be a soldier?", with contact details at the bottom,and a picture of an unpaid extra from Ross Kemp's latest series, and the job's done.

Is direct mailing to all the 17-year-olds on the electoral roll illegal these days?
I would like to put it up on the Community Noticeboard at a local supermarket.

msr said:
I am after 1x A5 poster to put in my local supermarket.

Why can it not be as easy as this: http://www.freepdfcards.com ?

Just need to create a similar site where you add the type of unit / unit name / address / contact number and off you go. All produced to 'brand standards' and instantly available for printing.

msr
MS Word. Couple of big words to grab the attention, a nice piccy inthe middle of your unit doing something warry (MUST BE TOTALLY UNRELATED TO NORMAL ROLE) and the contact details at the bottom.

A few bullet points arround the edges of the piccy like wages, commitment required. on the left could be the "down sides" like commitment and time expended on the right could be the "up sides" like adventure training etc.

Trouble is, you can't go round just designing and putting up your own posters.

They have to be 'brand standard' and produced by an external Agency.

msr

I do a bit of graphic design for my company, making stickers etc. Ive got a bloody long PDF file stating the do's and dont's of my regiments insignia, colours etc. Theyre not copyrighted but theres lots of specifications, an example...

"When incorporating text on the TRF with cap badge lettering will be placed above and below the 'Red Lines'. For battalion boards the battalion number with BATTALION appears central and above the line and blah blah blah"

Riveting stuff, really.

PrepareToDouble said:
I do a bit of graphic design for my company, making stickers etc. Ive got a bloody long PDF file stating the do's and dont's of my regiments insignia, colours etc. Theyre not copyrighted but theres lots of specifications, an example...

"When incorporating text on the TRF with cap badge lettering will be placed above and below the 'Red Lines'. For battalion boards the battalion number with BATTALION appears central and above the line and blah blah blah"

Riveting stuff, really.
Which exactly proves my point: set up a site which will let us produce materials which meet the required standards.

msr

That's just about average sh1t which you get in corporate land, too.

Had some right fun and games with the red-tape junkies in the past trying to get them to accept that rule A and rule D on some crappy branding guideline are actively contradictory and thus we can go around the loop as many times as we like but either they accept that the only way to comply with 1 is to fail on the other.

msr said:

msr
Ahah! but some of us work to brand standards for external agencies....

Hardysa said:
msr said:

msr
Can you run me up a poster then?

msr said:
Hardysa said:
msr said:

msr
Sure - if you give me the copy, any layout prefs and what the repro pipeline is.

Check your PMs

msr said:
Hardysa said:
msr said:

msr
Is your target market mums that go shopping or supermarket workers? should be the ideal place then :wink:

Don't you know anyone who works in Marketing then?

MSR

I will preface this post by saying my experiences in this area are pre OAR.

As you know, in theory all promotional/recruiting media should be branded, however in practice this does depend on who is funding the activity.

If the RFCA are stumping up the cash then you will be subject to the brand manual and in the North West, the RFCA are likely to insist that any graphics are handled by an external company. This does mean that a large amount of allocated funds are swallowed up by the external company. The argument being that this external company are the only ones who understand the brand !!!!!!!.

If you are financing the stuff from Rgmt/Sqn funds then you have more freedom in the way in which you apply the brand.

However as you may also be aware the requirements of the brand manual are not actually that onerous and if you have someone handy with Photoshop etc then it is not difficult to sort out.

The most significant challenge is usually finding images of a high enough standard to be useable.

PM if you need to discuss.

YM

I'm with Wngles on this...OAR OAR OAR!

Things have changed a bit since 'pre-OAR' (unsurprisngly!) and Unit advertising should be through CO/OC and the RARO.

The RFCA aren't involved anymore - it's all through CRR and the ACIOs.

When OAR started, the plan was that all advertising and PR would be through OAR/CRR but as time has evolved, local advertising has crept in as OAR isn't really working for the TA - certainly not at grass roots levels.

There's no effective branding anymore - and most such effort is done on the black economy.

It's back to standing around in shopping centres....and giving out what you want.....it'll be shillings in the bottom of tankards soon.

MrTracey said:
The RFCA aren't involved anymore - it's all through CRR and the ACIOs.
Not strictly true. As recently as a few months ago I had CRR, the Bde Comd and the local RFCA all telling me that they controlled the adspend purse strings. The money used to be doled out by the RFCAs and I detected a few noses being put out of joint when it was all pulled back under Golly Slater's control. The net result was that the TA were fobbed off with one-size-fits-all regional recruiting shyte (upwards of five different capbadges all fighting for attention in a 4pp A5 leaflet with pictures of Life Guards on the front and Warrior in the centre :x :roll: ) whilst the rest of the cash was spent on the real reason for OAR, namely plugging the G1 breach caused the Regular Army post-op exodus that was/is taking place.

What you are also going to come across is the impasse that exists between Regimental and Army branding. They are not the same. Army brand does not allow for TRF colours whereas most Regimental brand manuals insist upon them. CLANGGGG!

The answer is plain and simple: follow the money. If CRR is paying (pigs fuelled and ready for take off, sir) you will have to use the Army brand.

Ditto if the RFCAs pay (and a good tip is to go to the chief exec and bleat that 'it ain't as good as when you wuz in charge, sir' — which probably won't be a lie) but you can at leas negotiate with these people.

If the Regiment pays, you will have to use your Regtl brand...but if the Bn/Coy pays, do what you like but be prepared to take incoming.

I was severely upbraided (well, as much as one can be by someone who isn't in your chain of command) at an RFCA meeting for spending £350 of my Coy's money on a open day. Later in the same meeting the PR bod was praised for the organisation of a £10,000 open day which I later found out had caused a huge disruption and a massive MTD bill for the three units involved. They recruited ten people in total; my lads and lasses recruited eight. Do the maths and crack on.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
smallbrownprivates Armed Forces Jokes 6
HantsTiger The NAAFI Bar 2
C The Intelligence Cell 0