TA PJNCO

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by icecold, Jul 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. icecold

icecold Clanker Reviewer

Anyone done this course recently? Any bits of advice? Any good bits of kit anyone can recommend?

2. msr

msr LE

Try demonstrating your initiative by using the search button and confirming it by producing a wiki page.

msr

3. icecold

icecold Clanker Reviewer

Haha fair point! Have tried and came up with nothing, but I'll try again, probably searching in the wrong bit!

4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

icecold,

It depends on your capbadge. I did two PJNCO cadres; the first was with the R.Signals and was just a weekend of physical activities and section scenarios. All very enjoyable, not taxing in the slightest and essentially a tick-in-the-box so you could qualify for promotion. My second cadre was as an Infantryman having transfered and needing to justify my rank, and it was a completely different affair.

The Infantry PJNCO cadre is two weeks long and is held centrally at ITC Catterick or regional in-house battalion camps. They are held to the same set of criteria so the format should be the same wherever you do yours. '303SMLE' wrote up a good breakdown of events here: PJNCO Cadre

Read through the whole thread as there's some interesting points there. Be advised Inf (if that is what you are) PJNCO is by no means an attendance course. You WILL have to demonstrate leadership and command potential. You WILL be pushed mentally and physically. I can't emphasise that last enough, start training! Many guys who are decent Rfn, just don't make the grade at PJNCO as they just lack the 'stuff' to lead a fire team.

Note the last sentence and note it well! The higher you climb, the harder the courses get! Wait to you go to Brecon to earn your second tape. Enjoy it, mate and try to get something out of it, even if you don't cut the mustard the first time around.

5. icecold

icecold Clanker Reviewer

Thanks RP578

Yeah I'm an infantry capbadge, so sounds like it'll be the one that was described.

6. Did it in June. The staff all thought I was a cnut. But still gave me a good course report and third on course. At the moment its a turn up get beasted and pass as long as you finsih the course.

You NEED to pass :
    risk reduction run 1.5 miles under 13 min ish
    CFT
    Field Craft - don't be a mong.

And no daysacks justjet packs.

It was about what I expected but i'm still not convinced that I wanted to do it, but never again. Roll on Brecon.

Nuts

PM for any specifics.

7. I did my CIC in June/July and we had a PJNCO cadre running alongside us, they acted as our section 2ic's when we went into the field and they had to help 'lead' us through the CFT under the PTI's supervision, from what I saw they got a fair thrashing through out the course, and those who didn't cut the mustard were failed at the end of the course, including the guy who was placed as my section 2ic.

I know I'm still fairly green and not much more than a crow myself but does any one know when you can do a PJNCO cadre at Catterick? I heard you could right after CIC but I also heard you need 3 years experience before you can make lance jack, I want to get the course done so when my unit want new lance jacks i can get my tape, but by no mean do i wish to be promoted yet, i just want to get the course done and out of the way.

8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Theoretically you are eligible to go on your PJNCO after having served as a Class 1 Trained Infantryman for at least a year. In practice many TA Battalions just load candidates on the course a year after they passed out from CIC.

9. I thought that something along those lines was the case, a mate of mine from my section at CIC was recomended by our training screw to go for promotion to lance jack within six months though so im not sure how he could do that?

10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Whilst there maybe a technicality (CO's discretion etc.) that could make it possible, I'd be amazed if that would ever happen, especially in this day and age. Even if he completed his PJNCO cadre in that 6 months, he'd still have to wait for the promotion board. To be honest you need a good couple of years as a Rifleman to actually learn your job. You'll find that a lot of the lads that go on PJNCO have been doing the 2ic job already as a senior bod.

11. I joined the TA in a September, did CIC the following April, and then PJNCO's 5 months later....I actually hit my 1 year point on the first day of the final ex. So yes, it can be done, but you have to work hard, be a bit of a spotter and take to it naturally.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I cheated slightly, my kit arrived 2 weeks after attesting and had to go away for a stripe to be sewn on, 12 months later I passed Brecon. I had left the regs after 7 years only 2 months before joining but I suspect that it was pretty swift going even for then. My Pln sgt hated this as he left the regs as a cpl and had to serve 3 years as a private before being recommended for a JNCO carde. I had left as a buckshee!

13. rp578 - your dead right that was course - ahhh the memories

it depends who your instructors are whether they are at your unit or at catterick. I did mine at Catterick and the instructors wanted to beast us to an inch of our lives - 45 started 1 passed and 9 delayed passes got love that! I was one of the 9

my advice is train really hard and get our fitness up to a good standard - the guys who passed were running their bft at under 9.30

learn the order process and admin should be first class in the field!

14. Oh good something to look forward to then!! I suppose it only goes to prove that the infantry is far superior to any other arm?

15. I might be doing this course in November over two weekends. Does anybody have any experience of this course? Is it more or less the same as the Infantry PJNCO? The only info ive found seems to refer to the infantry course.