TA & OTC

The TA & OTC are:

• different and I want nothing to do with the OTC (I am TA)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • two totally different organisations and should be treated as such.

• a bunch of wannabes, so lump them together (I am a Regular)

• different and I want nothing to do with the TA (I am OTC)

• Total voters
It would appear that the TA & OTC boards have been combined. Your thoughts?

One is an organisation full of unfit smokers and drinkers who shag each other like rabbits while going on and on about eastern philosphies and creaming the system for a bit of extra bunce to suupliment their state-sponsored funds, the other's the OTC! :lol:

Woopert!

I have often wondered if I joined the wrong unit. It would appear that someone in the TA is having a lot more fun than me. It must be the RLC.

if you combine the ta and the otc boards who do we look down on now
the acf ? reinactment groups ? as the regulars look down on the ta
the ta look down on the otc who are either too hung over, drunk or doing pressups for upsetting a nco to notice what we think of them when they come out on exercise with us

I think the OTCs get an unfair press. Seeing as they are just a big PR exercise by the army, they succeed in numerous ways. They work well as a recruitment pool for both the regular and reserve army. They provide reasonable military training with the resources and time availible. They often provide a large amount of man-power for various exercises, again both regular and reserve. And they provide a worthwhile activity for countless students who become better people as a result.

They also provide a ready supply of 'fit' chicks/ chaps (its allowed now), a constant excuse for a piss up and the cash to pay for the beer, spirits, silly costumes, etc, etc.

Maybe all this 'looking down on the OTCs' is just jealousy because the fine OCDTs of the various OTCs get to do what all these moaning TA types would like to do if it wasn't for the wife, kids, mortgage and job.

Half Rations
self appointed i/c OTC PR

what drop rifle in mud .make private pike look like a termanitor.and genrally behave like a complete dick who the army should comission
because they happen to be doing a degree in media studies or some other
waste of tax payers money .
the ta supply bodies not just for exercises but also operations and
we dont want to be share the same forum as otc

what drop rifle in mud .make private pike look like a termanitor
Are we referring to an OCDT or a TA squaddie? Sorry, an OCDT or a band A TA squaddie - seeing as OTC's are actually in the TA, rather than a branch of the girl guides.

And as for providing bodies for operations, I'm of the opinion that it is the MoD stopping OCDTs from going on operation rather than OCDTs not wanting to go. I know a vast number of OCDTs that would jump at the chance to go on tour during their slack summer break rather than work in a pub etc.

And before you reply with something along the lines of 'they are a danger to themselves and unto others', so to, in my experience, are a number of the band A TA soldiers. There are muppets in both the TA and the OTCs, as there are in the regular army. There are also some decent soldiers in the OTCs as proved by the large number of my ex OTC mates who, having only recently transferred to class A TA units, were sent to GWII. Your not telling me that the couple of months they had spent with their new units had transformed them from private pikes' understudy to lean mean guard post manning machines?

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and print up some 'OTC needs you' posters.

PS. Please note that A) since the introduction of student LOANS, students are no longer 'scrounging of the state' as they are obliged to pay back what they BORROW. And B) the more people graduating from university increases the standard of living of the entire country as more money is earnt and therefore spent. GCSE economics taught me that - would you rather I have dropped out of school to spend a lifetime claiming unemployment benefit?[/quote]

half_rations said:
And B) the more people graduating from university increases the standard of living of the entire country as more money is earnt and therefore spent. GCSE economics taught me that - would you rather I have dropped out of school to spend a lifetime claiming unemployment benefit?
CSE Remedial English taught me never to start a sentence with "And".

:twisted: Personally I prefer unemployed dropouts to unemployable graduates... :twisted:

I was in the TA........

But am not know by as/of/beacuse/maybe/possibly by any known name or otherwise in any vain possibly pertaining in that light in the confused mind of certain indivduals who would not have spent hours searching this site to find that out............

Start bleeting SS

Im just posting this so i can use one of the faces things..... sad i know but its better than work :oops: :twisted: :evil: 8O

half_rations said:
[
I know a vast number of OCDTs that would jump at the chance to go on tour during their slack summer break rather than work in a pub etc.
Good thing we only go to war in the summer break, eh?

Petard, your own, hoisted by....

OTC arent anything special. I have a friend in the newcastle uni one. I'm at teeside uni and in b coy green howards as a squadie. He's no better than me. we're both doing a degree so what if he's a Officer cadet.

They get issued more than us...I got the basic bare minimun when i joined up until after module 1 or somthing like that i'll get 4 times the amount of kit. They obviously trust the trainee wooperts more.

TA = more hands on

Right gent's. Background. Former ACF former OTC current RSigs TA rupert.

Rant starts...

Having been in and served with all 3 of above at various times I can quiet happily say that all three organisations do have a fair share of muppets. I've worked and served with a fair few of them. Some I've served with will consider me to be a muppet but hey it's all personell opinion. For those TA who insist on puting down OTC's I'll say this. The OTC is not and hopefully never will be a recruting tool for the british army and the TA. Although a fair proportion of those who go through the doors will go reg or TA at some point not all will go as ruperts I've got 2 soldiers just now who were both at the same OTC as me and do not wat to be ruperts but loved their time at OTC. Also consider that most Uni graduates will be aiming for management jobs. A TA soldier walks into his bosses office and asks for 2 weeks off to do a carear course and another 2 for camp. The boss has never had any TA experiance or worse still is "anti" army. That guys chances of getting the 4 weeks are pretty slim. Now consider a manager who has spent a couple of years in an OTC and has fond memories of camps and weekends. In this situation the soldier has a much better chance of getting the time off.

Rant over

Lets just say I enjoyed my time in both the minor ones and I love the TA with a passion! If I catch any regs putting down the TA they get a rifting and the same goes for TA putting down OTC's truth is many of the OTC folk are better infantry than some (not all) TA infantry. I know we were allowed to play hard but we were expected to work much harder. My first weekend with the RSigs I ended up teaching infantry tactics.

FECKOFF said:
OTC arent anything special. I have a friend in the newcastle uni one. I'm at teeside uni and am in b coy green howards as a squadie. He's no better than me. we're both doing a degree so what if he's a Officer cadet.

They get issued more than us...I got the basic bare minimun when i joined up until after module 1 or somthing like that i'll get 4 times the amount of kit. They obviously trust the trainee wooperts more.

TA = more hands on
Err are you bluffing your student status?

Sorry to be construed as pernickety abeit anally retentive but your spelling / typing ability is rather pump:

Arent... try aren't
Squadie... try squaddie
minimun... try minimum

The TA may be "more hands on" round your neck of the woods but...

Bear in mind that your OCdt chum is a member of an organisation tailor made for students, with allowances for workloads and examinations and a training calendar that is built around the university semester system.

Wouldn't like to rub it in but bear in mind the high percentage of OCdt's at TA sandbags vs TA soldiers. If you don't believe me see the related threads.

Oh Hi Cakes ya sexpest! we're on the same table at the ball! Stand by!

Landie_Bashir said:
Wouldn't like to rub it in but bear in mind the high percentage of OCdt's at TA sandbags vs TA soldiers. If you don't believe me see the related threads.
Young Student Grant would go to Sandhurst even if there was no OTC. I suspect that very few are pursuaded by the OTC to go for a commission; they wanted to do that before Uni and the OTC is a convenient interim step

You seem to be the subject matter expert; what ARE the percentages, and what are the drop off rates for TA vs. OTC?

Ho. Landi. You just know it's gonna be carnage! Do you remember the jumbo straw from a few years back? Same again this year me thinks:0)

I am now officially puting you in charge of stopping me beating the s**t out of anyone above the rank of Capt. Also. Fun and games at the dinner table we need a heads together to plan stuff if you know what I mean :twisted:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P OTC and ACF 43
R OTC and ACF 129
woopert The Intelligence Cell 8