TA on tour

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Shaun sooty, Aug 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

Im intrested in joing the TA and am wondering what their is to know about going on tour with them, i am soon 17 and will join then. I will be at college unti 18 but could i go on tour after college if all trainning is done?

Many thanks.

2. Can't go on tour til you're 18 anyway.

It's also rare that you'll get through the Joining-Up, Selection, Phase 1, Phase 2 series before your 18th birthday.

3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

17 1/2 still isnt it? so he could start the ball rolling and jump in ready. if he wants to tour though why not just sign up for three years and have done with it?

4. Because i want to go to uni and i was only wondering if i can take a gap year and go on tour in that year and then go to uni.

5. Have a word with the member that is Bravo_Bravo; he knows more about TA tours than anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ok will do, thanks ill look him up

7. Snigger!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ss you need to be 17 and 1/2 to join and then you have ASDC phase one and phase 2 or CIC if your infantry, you wont get on tour for another year after that, no matter your age, thems the rules now.....and dont bother looking for BB CC TA is just being a cheeky chap...........

• Like Like x 1
  9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

if you're that smart then look at a sponsored commission with a serving gap year or the military colleges. I doubt they will send you off fighting but you would have it easier and be paid for it. the timings for an active attachment might not fit the academic year.

little brother did similar when they decided he needed to grow up a bit after welbeck and before rmas.

if you do the TA route then you can go through the process, do your cadre, get an attachment, then do your workup and deploy for 6 months so you would be looking at the joining phase, first training then if they decide to let you go your year starts.

I may be wrong as it might have changed. I know some units will tell you you could be deployed in 8 months if you want to be.

10. Boooo hiss to you! :)

11. ok thanks, what i want to do is apply for sandhurst and do the aosb after college some time and then go to uni and i felt this could be a great experiance to help me

12. You've broken me.
    First: If you want to do AOSB then go to Uni when is this tour going to happen? It would stand you in good stead but your admin and dedication is going to have to be awesome.
    Second: At the moment (and for the forseeable) you don't go on tour with the TA (with a few exceptions) - you just go on tour.
    Finally: Please, please learn to capitalise and punctuate; AOSB are quite keen on that kind of thing apparently.

13. Naughty step for you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. msr

msr LE

Get your Uni out of the way first, then worry about going on tour - I rather suspect that by the time you have gained sufficient experience to volunteer, we will be out of Afghanistan.

m-s-r

15. As MSR said, I would go to university first.

You sound like you could do with a bit of growing up and despite what they might tell you, University should be a nice casual curve to take you from being a teenager to being an adult. Going on tour young may be possible but if you're not mature enough it'll be a good opportunity to make a complete **** of yourself and really not enjoy the 6 months. (The regulars don't have this problem as 6 months full time basic training completes the growing up phase).