TA on CV?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Emkay, Feb 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So...is it the 'done' thing to put the TA on your CV or not?

Possible advantages:

Transferable skills.
    Evidence that you are a team player.
    Other benefits associated with employing people who have forces experience.

Possible disadvantage:

Not getting the job because your prospective employer thinks you are about to get dicked for Herrick and they won't see you until late 2010.

Possible consequence of not putting the TA on your CV:

Your employer goes spastic when they find out you are in the TA.

2. You have a legal obligation to inform your employer that you are a member of the TA. So, yes, it is the done thing to put it on your CV.

3. put it down mate, more pluses than minuses, when you put it down, make sure you make a note or remind then that it works around you etc.

4. Like the man said. It can be grounds for dismissal if you fail to inform your employer that you're in the TA.

5. Personally put it down, you gain nothing from hiding it and would you really want to work for a company that doesn't support it?

6. i would like to see a civvy employer try and go spastic at me. he would get a shock and a half

7. Put it down, mate. Attitudes are slowly changing...at one time TA service meant the prospective candidate was likely to need an extra two weeks off each year, wouldn't work weekends and would probably turn in a bit late and hung-over one day a week and was therefore a possible liability. Thankfully now, all but the least progressive employers have realised that our recent operational experiences give us excellent team working/leading ability, decision making and communication skills. However, as a caveat, I look carefully at the organisation I'm applying to and 'tailor' the amount of information I provide and/or highlight according to their likely ethos. Certain Units, I understand, do not have to declare their membership due to the nature of their role and it's worth considering what information you really want or need to divulge.

Edited to remove early morning spelling malfunctions!

8. Why would he be shocked? What would you do?

9. Sh!t in his Cornflakes? P!ss in his pocket? Steal the jam out of his donut?

10. Two years ago when I went for the job I do now I put It down on my CV, I included a extra sheet explaining all the skills and courses I have gained and done with the TA.

After I got the job I was chatting to one of the people who Interviewed me about the TA and they said that It went In my favor the stuff I had learnt.

Just thought I would add this was for the civil service, and they are normally very supportive of this kind of thing.

11. Put it down, just don't over-egg it.
    Your prospective employer will question your commitment to him, if three pages of your five page CV are dedicated to what he probably sees as a hobby.

12. Mention it as a one liner in activities/interests and then you can waffle on to your hearts content at the interview if it is raised about how your ta experiences can benefit the company.

13. Agree wholeheartedly with yater_spoon, I have it as a one-liner in interests and hobbies, and make sure I mention in the interview that my civilian employment comes first, and if the TA ever gets in the way of that, its time to give it up.
    Never stopped me getting a job so far.
    B

14. msr

msr LE

15. I made it a big part of my last interview quoting the training and responsibility, proiritisation things and they brought into it....

But then they know I've got more chance of getting caught in a "dogging 3-some with the Pope" than get mobilised!