TA OJAR - Pointless ?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by saladin, Apr 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After a conversation with a few fellow sufferers...

How many TA Majors have had a better OJAR than last year but magically found that their scores at APC have somehow dropped ?

Rumour has it that within my Bde only one TA Major has been scored high enough by APC to even apply for a promotion and that NO TA Gp A unit will be commanded by a Territorial next time round as a result.

I'm too old so I'm out of the running - but it stinks

2. What is this scoring malarkey you talk of? haven't heard of that before, outside the actual boards.

3. Because the agency that is in charge of the APC has imposed a glass ceiling on promotions for the next two years. All to do with saving money and making do with the Officers at the moment. APC has fought this tooth and nail but lost the battle. APC for example will want to make fifteen posts but the agency that oversees them has turned round and limited it to five. This has a knock on effect with scoring. Manning Control points and natural wastage will get some people promoted. This is regular service as well as TA. There is going to be a lot of teddy bears in corners during the next two years.

4. TA Majors who are qualified and recommended for promotion are all graded by a board at APC.... those who fall "below the quality line" are not allowed to apply for Lt Col posts, despite being, as above, both qualified and recommended for promotion - its a "sift" board. The issue is that it appears that the "quality line" keeps moving upwards - to the extent that very very few TA Majors are getting above it.

The scores were: Inf 17, AMS - Nil. RAC - 4, RA 5, RE 4, R Sig, 4, AAC Nil, RLC 2, REME 1, AGC 1, Int 3.

Thats the total allowed to even apply for promotion. The rest, despite their B+ High, comments from the Bde Commanders etc - are sunk. Makes the OJAR system a bit of a joke ?

5. Surely you meant "even more of a joke"? Mutters. Must go back to writing overdue Lts OJARs ...

6. It's the way the system works for everyone. You can be the best thing since the proverbial sliced bakery produce, but if there's no slot for you it's sorry old man; better luck next year!

7. [quote="saladin] Thats the total allowed to even apply for promotion. The rest, despite their B+ High, comments from the Bde Commanders etc - are sunk. Makes the OJAR system a bit of a joke ?[/quote]

Ah good old grade creep. Wasn’t a B+ meant to be an exceptional grade :?

Give it 5 years and people will only be making the cut at A+ :D

8. If you squint at the 2009 and 2010 results, there appears to have been an across the board reduction on the star charts of about 2-3 points so something is going on. Hadn't heard anything about a governing agency or a glass ceiling though...other than that usual guff about 'intense competition' which I take to mean a failure to impose the three-posts-then-promote-or-leave aspiration that is causing the backlog.

9. Ah good old grade creep. Wasn’t a B+ meant to be an exceptional grade :?

Give it 5 years and people will only be making the cut at A+ :D[/quote]

Certainly we at subaltern level were being told to consult with our OCs for anything that wasn't in the B level. As far as the wider TA OJAR issue is concerned, in my part of the world there isn't exactly much to get promoted to/new posts to apply for!

Doubtless msr will be along in a second to tell me to go on tour, but I'll get to that as soon as I get my degree!

10. msr

msr LE

No need to go on tour. Better to bury your head in your regimental MS Guidelines and the relevant JSPs.

The drill night of the future for the commissioned officer is looking rather full of JPA right now...

msr

11. Certainly is..I have become far too familiar with JSP 757 and assorted documents..

12. Makes the TAPO Offer even more exciting..... :cry:

13. msr

msr LE

Is there an offer?

14. 8.5% off, compared to the equivalent regular price?

15. Not really....but I live in hope.

:x

Money?...Oh no, there isn't any
    Command?..Oh no, no real opportunities for that.
    Leadership?...Oh no, no real opportunities for that either.
    Adventurous Training?...Oh no, cancelled.
    Fun?..Oh No, can't be having any of that nonsense.
    Mobilisation?...Oh no, well, you can, but not to do the job you were recruited and trained for.
    New skills? Maybe, Like writing SJARs...?