TA OJAR - Pointless ?

#1
After a conversation with a few fellow sufferers...

How many TA Majors have had a better OJAR than last year but magically found that their scores at APC have somehow dropped ?

Rumour has it that within my Bde only one TA Major has been scored high enough by APC to even apply for a promotion and that NO TA Gp A unit will be commanded by a Territorial next time round as a result.

I'm too old so I'm out of the running - but it stinks
 
#2
What is this scoring malarkey you talk of? haven't heard of that before, outside the actual boards.
 
A

armadillo

Guest
#3
Because the agency that is in charge of the APC has imposed a glass ceiling on promotions for the next two years. All to do with saving money and making do with the Officers at the moment. APC has fought this tooth and nail but lost the battle. APC for example will want to make fifteen posts but the agency that oversees them has turned round and limited it to five. This has a knock on effect with scoring. Manning Control points and natural wastage will get some people promoted. This is regular service as well as TA. There is going to be a lot of teddy bears in corners during the next two years.
 
#4
quiller said:
What is this scoring malarkey you talk of? haven't heard of that before, outside the actual boards.
TA Majors who are qualified and recommended for promotion are all graded by a board at APC.... those who fall "below the quality line" are not allowed to apply for Lt Col posts, despite being, as above, both qualified and recommended for promotion - its a "sift" board. The issue is that it appears that the "quality line" keeps moving upwards - to the extent that very very few TA Majors are getting above it.

The scores were: Inf 17, AMS - Nil. RAC - 4, RA 5, RE 4, R Sig, 4, AAC Nil, RLC 2, REME 1, AGC 1, Int 3.

Thats the total allowed to even apply for promotion. The rest, despite their B+ High, comments from the Bde Commanders etc - are sunk. Makes the OJAR system a bit of a joke ?
 
#5
saladin said:
Makes the OJAR system a bit of a joke ?
Surely you meant "even more of a joke"? Mutters. Must go back to writing overdue Lts OJARs ...
 
#6
It's the way the system works for everyone. You can be the best thing since the proverbial sliced bakery produce, but if there's no slot for you it's sorry old man; better luck next year!
 
#7
[quote="saladin] Thats the total allowed to even apply for promotion. The rest, despite their B+ High, comments from the Bde Commanders etc - are sunk. Makes the OJAR system a bit of a joke ?[/quote]

Ah good old grade creep. Wasn’t a B+ meant to be an exceptional grade :?

Give it 5 years and people will only be making the cut at A+ :D
 
#8
If you squint at the 2009 and 2010 results, there appears to have been an across the board reduction on the star charts of about 2-3 points so something is going on. Hadn't heard anything about a governing agency or a glass ceiling though...other than that usual guff about 'intense competition' which I take to mean a failure to impose the three-posts-then-promote-or-leave aspiration that is causing the backlog.
 
#9
CAARPS said:
[quote="saladin] Thats the total allowed to even apply for promotion. The rest, despite their B+ High, comments from the Bde Commanders etc - are sunk. Makes the OJAR system a bit of a joke ?
Ah good old grade creep. Wasn’t a B+ meant to be an exceptional grade :?

Give it 5 years and people will only be making the cut at A+ :D[/quote]

Certainly we at subaltern level were being told to consult with our OCs for anything that wasn't in the B level. As far as the wider TA OJAR issue is concerned, in my part of the world there isn't exactly much to get promoted to/new posts to apply for!

Doubtless msr will be along in a second to tell me to go on tour, but I'll get to that as soon as I get my degree!
 
#10
No need to go on tour. Better to bury your head in your regimental MS Guidelines and the relevant JSPs.

The drill night of the future for the commissioned officer is looking rather full of JPA right now...

msr
 
#12
msr said:
No need to go on tour. Better to bury your head in your regimental MS Guidelines and the relevant JSPs.

The drill night of the future for the commissioned officer is looking rather full of JPA right now...

msr
Makes the TAPO Offer even more exciting..... :cry:
 
#13
Is there an offer?
 
#15
msr said:
Is there an offer?
Not really....but I live in hope.

:x

Money?...Oh no, there isn't any
Command?..Oh no, no real opportunities for that.
Leadership?...Oh no, no real opportunities for that either.
Adventurous Training?...Oh no, cancelled.
Fun?..Oh No, can't be having any of that nonsense.
Mobilisation?...Oh no, well, you can, but not to do the job you were recruited and trained for.
New skills? Maybe, Like writing SJARs...?
 
#16
This is also the reason that no one wants command postions. Endless Tuesday nights and special weekends just to get OJARS/SJARS up to speed drive good commanders away.
 
#17
1stgulfmac said:
This is also the reason that no one wants command postions. Endless Tuesday nights and special weekends just to get OJARS/SJARS up to speed drive good commanders away.
I'm glad you said that , I was wondering if it was just me...

msr
 

BBear

LE
Kit Reviewer
#18
1stgulfmac said:
This is also the reason that no one wants command postions. Endless Tuesday nights and special weekends just to get OJARS/SJARS up to speed drive good commanders away.

Pretty much.

I don't know about you, but 2 years and 12 week long courses, every other weekend during this time (at times every weekend for months due to being double hatted), 3 weeks at Sandhurst and 2 at Brecon meanwhile doing a degree and holding down a job, and people are surprised that there's not so much motivation to commission into the TA these days?

Certainly lost me
 
#19
saladin said:
quiller said:
What is this scoring malarkey you talk of? haven't heard of that before, outside the actual boards.
TA Majors who are qualified and recommended for promotion are all graded by a board at APC.... those who fall "below the quality line" are not allowed to apply for Lt Col posts, despite being, as above, both qualified and recommended for promotion - its a "sift" board. The issue is that it appears that the "quality line" keeps moving upwards - to the extent that very very few TA Majors are getting above it.

The scores were: Inf 17, AMS - Nil. RAC - 4, RA 5, RE 4, R Sig, 4, AAC Nil, RLC 2, REME 1, AGC 1, Int 3.

Thats the total allowed to even apply for promotion. The rest, despite their B+ High, comments from the Bde Commanders etc - are sunk. Makes the OJAR system a bit of a joke ?
Thank you for that, I'll ring APC to get my score and see where I am, but possibly after four years of busting my balls and getting A-/B+ grades, if i have not heard so far then I'm probably not on the list.

What a way to run an army.
 
#20
quiller said:
saladin said:
quiller said:
What is this scoring malarkey you talk of? haven't heard of that before, outside the actual boards.
TA Majors who are qualified and recommended for promotion are all graded by a board at APC.... those who fall "below the quality line" are not allowed to apply for Lt Col posts, despite being, as above, both qualified and recommended for promotion - its a "sift" board. The issue is that it appears that the "quality line" keeps moving upwards - to the extent that very very few TA Majors are getting above it.

The scores were: Inf 17, AMS - Nil. RAC - 4, RA 5, RE 4, R Sig, 4, AAC Nil, RLC 2, REME 1, AGC 1, Int 3.

Thats the total allowed to even apply for promotion. The rest, despite their B+ High, comments from the Bde Commanders etc - are sunk. Makes the OJAR system a bit of a joke ?
Thank you for that, I'll ring APC to get my score and see where I am, but possibly after four years of busting my balls and getting A-/B+ grades, if i have not heard so far then I'm probably not on the list.

What a way to run an army.
Sounds like they don't know where you live. All majors get written to twice a year with the results of the promotion and command eligibility boards regardless of whether or not they pass the quality line.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr Army Reserve 6
Scribbler Officers 4
A Reports & Promotion 4

Similar threads

Latest Threads