TA Officers and Differences In Application; Advice Please

Discussion in 'Officers' started by JayCam, Nov 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

For around 6 months now I have been working towards becoming a regular officer but recently I have started to consider a TA commission for various reasons. I wonder if you could give me some advice.

Would it be advisable to go through with the regular AOSB Briefing and Main and decide after a hypothetical pass which route I would like to go down? This way I can keep my options open, but would it be frowned upon by the DS, my sponsor etc? I understand there is a specific TA board but I would assume as pass at the TA board would not allow you to go on to the regular commissioning course at RMAS?

EDIT: After reading the "TA are not proper officers?" thread I am deleting this part of my post for everyones sanity.

2. Oh sweet Jesus, do you know what you've done? Lets not kick off this fight again...

"The Future of TA Officers" http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=66858/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html

"Are TA Officers Proper Officers" http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=37535/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html

"Arfur's Views on TA Officers"

Summary : TA Officers, Regular Officers, whatever - both types are good, but different, with tw.ats & heroes in both camps.

Can we leave it at that and this guy to the links so we don't go through another bout of blood letting? It just gets so tedious.

Answers to your questions ref: AOSB etc can be found in stickies and through the Search function.

( Just waiting for Msr to jump on this one... )
  3. msr

msr LE

I'll jump in, but not bite ;)

Go down to your local unit and speak to the Offrs.

Take the regular AOSB, as I don't believe the TA one will let you go the other way. You won't piss anyone off.

4. Thanks Charlie and msr... sorry to open up a can of worms! I was inviting a TA vs Reg argument.. please noone make it into one, I also can't be bothered lol.

I will phone up 105 RA tomorrow and see if I can go in and have a talk to someone there.

5. There is now some inter changeability between AOSB Regular and TA passes.

If you do the AOSB Regular Board and pass then if you wanted to go the TA route your case would be considered by a AOSB Transfer Board and they would make a decsision.

As I understand it you would not have to go back to Westbury they would just look at your file.

Given we are pretty short of TA officers it is pretty unlikely they wont take you.

It is harder to go the other way without having to do the Board again, so if you are in doubt about whether you are going to do regular or TA then do the Regular board and cover both angles.

However before making any formal decision get your Admin Officer or Recruiting Liaison officer to phone up AOSB and check the details.
  6. Cheers, will do!

Not been able to get in contact with my local TA regiment today... no answer to the phones. Do they only open on drill night?