TA Officer Specialists - Doing a stint with the regulars

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by lastresort, Jan 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. This doesn't affect me directly (at least, not yet), but has been hinted at in several places, so I ask the question for interest.

    A specialist officer (say, a linguist) commissioned via the TA, has apparently the possibility to do a "short contract" (three years) on a full-time basis. Sorry cannot quote the official source, it was mentioned in a contact with my prospective unit.

    How does that work then? And what happens if she/he likes it and wants to stay in afterwards? It all sounds like a bit of a shortcut round Sandhurst to me - anyone know more? Soroban, perhaps?

    as I say, this is just for interest, so feel free to ignore.

  2. Sounds like an FTRS contract to me. More information at http://www.army.mod.uk/servingsoldier/career/mcmdivs/ta/ftrs/index.htm - you can also download a list of all the jobs from here.

    Regards joining the Regs afterwards - this can be done but is assessed on an individual case by case basis. Usually go to the Army Officer Selection Board who decide if you've to go to Sandhurst or not and then what seniority/pension rights you have.
  3. Thanks Posh_jock.