TA Officer Entry

Discussion in 'Officers' started by BoringUsername1, Apr 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Folks,

So I passed TARS the other week and the command tasks went very well indeed. One of the chaps suggested I consider officer entry, however, I think I'm out of luck here as I haven't got any A-Levels. Long story short, I was offered a job in 6th Form college and took it, I've been a Computer Programmer type now for the last 9 years. I do a very technical job and have done in a number of team lead and management jobs. I have 10 GCSEs, 1xA*, 1xA, 7xB, 1xC, but still, no 180 UCAS points.

I'm 26 years old, 27 in September so I could in theory try to sort out a couple of A-Levels but I'm hoping to be mobilized in December and time wise I might just be pushing it. I'm joining the infantry.

Any thoughts?
    WAID

2. In theory the latest entry date for a TA officer is 35, i know there was a guy on my course who was 32. There is plenty of time before you hit the upper age limit. However, i know the army is fairly strict on educational requirements. One of my friends isnt even allowed to do his board until he graduates because he doesnt have enough UCAS points to count. That said, if you took your A-levels and did well in them then there's no reason why you shouldn't do your TACC after completing all of the other modules/AOSB etc...

My advice to you would be, deploy, enjoy the tour as a tom, and then knuckle down to academic work/AOSB etc when you get back. That way, if you change your mind after the tour you've not lost anything. You've got plenty of time before you have to commission and its always better to spend a little time with the guys doing the grunt work before you commission, and people will ahve more respect for you (in theory)
    Hope that helps.

HFH