TA Officer Development/Junior staff college

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by jock_sinclair, Jun 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone help me out with the process for TA officer development.
    As I understand it, MK1 comes first, follwed by Jotac for promotion to Capt. Then MK2 studied at home. Then what? Is there a new course to replace AJD? How long is it, and when in your career do you do it? Also, is there still a Staff College TA course for majors, and is there a home study element?
    Thanks for your help.
  2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

The last TA junior staff course is due to run this September. After that promotion from Capt to Major will be driven by MK2 home study type stuff. If it applies to you, get your bid in fast or stand by for lots of dull work at home.

3. So after September there is no residential course? just MK2 at home? And what about the next level up?
  4. Good to see you're planning ahead.
  5. msr

msr LE

JSC has had more last courses than the Rolling Stones have had good-bye tours...

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Granted, but would you gamble untold hours of home tedium on there being no "final comeback"? It means me missing out on our live firing camp, but it has to be done I suppose.
  7. Is the staff college course for majors also being phased out?
  8. msr

msr LE

No, I have passed MK1 and completed JOTAC ;)

9. The TA Higher Staff course seems to continue.

What concerns me is that while JOTES and JSC(TA) are supposed to be my promotion hurdle there is the all-important catch-all in the regulations that state that qualification for promotion to Major will "have to meet Arms & Services’ requirements for promotion, as appropriate to cap badge." (TA & Res MCM Dic Newsletter dated Mar 05).

While I know it took me ages to get my third up because I was a naughty Subaltern there was also an element of the goalposts being moved every time I got close. What's the chance all of us who have qualified under the JOTES route will be stitched up by our beloved Corps and still have to do JOTAC and MK2?
  10. So if an officer has done JSC(TA), he goes next to staff college and does not have to do MK2? Is that how it works?
  11. Jock Sinclair wrote:

I hope this isn't a wah! The SC in JSC stands for Staff Course - held at the Staff College.

I've posted this before, but, The Military Secretaty Wrote:

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

That confirms it then - JSC "the final countdown" it is for me then!
  13. There is going to be one "last" course run in 2007 - announced in the last few weeks - due to demand and big question marks over MK2 as the tool to use.

Check with your Adjt for dates etc.