TA Officer Development/Junior staff college

Can anyone help me out with the process for TA officer development.
As I understand it, MK1 comes first, follwed by Jotac for promotion to Capt. Then MK2 studied at home. Then what? Is there a new course to replace AJD? How long is it, and when in your career do you do it? Also, is there still a Staff College TA course for majors, and is there a home study element?
Thanks for your help.

The_Duke

LE
Jock,

The last TA junior staff course is due to run this September. After that promotion from Capt to Major will be driven by MK2 home study type stuff. If it applies to you, get your bid in fast or stand by for lots of dull work at home.

Duke

The_Duke said:
Jock,

The last TA junior staff course is due to run this September.
Duke
JSC has had more last courses than the Rolling Stones have had good-bye tours...

msr

The_Duke

LE
msr said:
The_Duke said:
Jock,

Duke
JSC has had more last courses than the Rolling Stones have had good-bye tours...

msr
Granted, but would you gamble untold hours of home tedium on there being no "final comeback"? It means me missing out on our live firing camp, but it has to be done I suppose.

The_Duke said:
msr said:
The_Duke said:
Jock,

Duke

msr
Granted, but would you gamble untold hours of home tedium on there being no "final comeback"? It means me missing out on our live firing camp, but it has to be done I suppose.
No, I have passed MK1 and completed JOTAC ;)

msr

The TA Higher Staff course seems to continue.

What concerns me is that while JOTES and JSC(TA) are supposed to be my promotion hurdle there is the all-important catch-all in the regulations that state that qualification for promotion to Major will "have to meet Arms & Services’ requirements for promotion, as appropriate to cap badge." (TA & Res MCM Dic Newsletter dated Mar 05).

While I know it took me ages to get my third up because I was a naughty Subaltern there was also an element of the goalposts being moved every time I got close. What's the chance all of us who have qualified under the JOTES route will be stitched up by our beloved Corps and still have to do JOTAC and MK2?

Jock Sinclair wrote:

So if an officer has done JSC(TA), he goes next to staff college and does not have to do MK2? Is that how it works?
I hope this isn't a wah! The SC in JSC stands for Staff Course - held at the Staff College.

I've posted this before, but, The Military Secretaty Wrote:

The introduction of ROCC(V) has had some far-reaching consequences for TA CM; particularly in the amendments to the promotion rules. The following rules for promotion to captain and major now apply:

• Promotion to captain:

• Officers commissioning into the TA via the TA Commissioning Course, on or after 1 Sep 04, will complete JOLP 2 and MK1 at RD and attend JOTAC as their criteria for promotion to captain.

• Subalterns whose TA commissioning date is 31 Aug 04 or earlier have been offered the choice of whether to adopt JOTES 1 or ROCC(V) as their criteria for promotion to captain. JOTES 1 will remain in place until 31 Mar 06. Officers on JOTES 1 for promotion, who fail to qualify under JOTES 1 by 31 Mar 06, will automatically be transferred to ROCC(V) for promotion to captain.

• All TA officers who hold the substantive rank of 2Lt or Lt, as at 1 Jan 05, will complete MK1 and attend JOTAC (either for promotion or employment training).

• Promotion to major:

• Substantive captains with a seniority date of 31 Dec 02, or earlier, must successfully complete the Junior Staff Course TA (JSC(TA)) to meet the requirement for promotion to major. Additionally, they will have to meet Arms & Services’ requirements for promotion, as appropriate to cap badge.

• Substantive captains with a seniority date of 1 Jan 03 or later, who have not attended JSC(TA); must successfully complete MK1, JOTAC and MK2 for promotion to major. Additionally, they will have to meet Arms & Services’ requirements for promotion, as appropriate to cap badge.

JUNIOR STAFF COURSE TA

One JSC(TA) course per year will be run in 2005 and 2006; each for 150 students. Dates for 2005 are 23-31 Jul 05: with the 2006 course currently planned to run over a similar timeframe. Substantive captains with a seniority date of 31 Dec 02, or earlier, must successfully complete the course to meet the requirement for promotion to major. Additionally; captains and majors holding QM commissions who are currently, or are likely to be, employed within deployable TA sub-units and units should also attend JSC(TA) as employment training. The current take-up of places on the 2005 course has been very disappointing, with 60 of the 150 places left unfilled. Captains with a seniority date of 31 Dec 02, or earlier who fail to qualify at JSC(TA) will be subject to ROCC(V) requirements for promotion.

There is going to be one "last" course run in 2007 - announced in the last few weeks - due to demand and big question marks over MK2 as the tool to use.

Check with your Adjt for dates etc.