TA ODP 254 Med Reg

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by John1983, Nov 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I start my training as a civvie ODP next year but also want to join the TA. I've got a few questions and any advice would be a great help.

1) I live in Colchester, my local TA unit is B Squadron, 254 Medical Regiment. What is the exact role of this regiment? Do they have ODP's serving within the regiment?

2) If not, would I have to join a TA field hospital? Are there any local one's or would I need to find a national unit?

3) Lastly, when would be the best time to think about joining? I.e. before I start my ODP training, during or after I hopefully qualify?

Cheers

2. welcome to ARRSE

1. as an unqualified individual - whether you join a field or hospital unit, youll be taken on as a CMT. Once you qualify as an ODP then you can be classed as a ODP in the TA

2. National units are all based in York - check out 2 med bdes website

3. join now - get some time in

3. I don't know if 254 Med Regt has ODPs, but recommend you go and knock on the door anyhow. Always good to show willing.

4. As said the best thing to do is go and ask 254 and if they cant help im sure they will point you in the right direction .

5. Thanks for the advice, I will be getting in contact with my local unit next week. :D

I have already got previous healthcare experience as a Cardiac Technician. If I join the TA as a CMT prior to qualifing as an OPD would I be able to join as a CMT class 2 or 3?

6. Well by the time they have worked out how best to seed you its probably quicker to just do the CMT3 and CMT2 courses !

It could be a long wait due to the fact they probably wont start thinking about it until you have done all your recruits courses !

7. John1983, PM me, you can join the TA as an Student ODP.