TA not entitled to No. 1 dress

#4
as a newbie to TA banter, whats the chat with dress stuff then? no1 etc?
i'm sure it could be found on the search but I'm more curious to know the difference between TA and regular and search isn't yielding too much for me...
 
#6
Bravo_Bravo said:
Which will make eg. the Lord mayors' Parade rather interesting when the current kit gets toooooo threadbare.

C95, perhaps?
Are you doing the parade? Im doing it in cs95, CEFO etc. Sod that posh stuff.
 
#9
I had a little chat with my SQMS only yesterday as I needed a Tie.

No more demands can be made for NO.1 dress as it is due to be replaced imminently. Thankfully, he had ties in stock.
 
#10
Never knew there was an entitilement. Always had to get it issued for each event ( such as Lord Mayors Show) as it occured or buy it if needed frequently once I was commisioned. However QM dept was always able to get loan or hire for private wedding type do's
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#11
arfah said:
I had a little chat with my SQMS only yesterday as I needed a Tie.

No more demands can be made for NO.1 dress as it is due to be replaced imminently. Thankfully, he had ties in stock.
Ties for No.1 Dress? You sure you're not getting it confused with No.2/SD?

1stgulfmac said:
Never knew there was an entitilement. Always had to get it issued for each event ( such as Lord Mayors Show) as it occured or buy it if needed frequently once I was commisioned. However QM dept was always able to get loan or hire for private wedding type do's
I think what he means is that currently each unit is scaled for X amount of No.1 Dress Uniforms which is used as a pool for various events, but that this has been discontinued so that there will be no way of replacing what we currently have when it falls apart.
 
#12
RP578 said:
arfah said:
I had a little chat with my SQMS only yesterday as I needed a Tie.

No more demands can be made for NO.1 dress as it is due to be replaced imminently. Thankfully, he had ties in stock.
Ties for No.1 Dress? You sure you're not getting it confused with No.2/SD?

1stgulfmac said:
Never knew there was an entitilement. Always had to get it issued for each event ( such as Lord Mayors Show) as it occured or buy it if needed frequently once I was commisioned. However QM dept was always able to get loan or hire for private wedding type do's
I think what he means is that currently each unit is scaled for X amount of No.1 Dress Uniforms which is used as a pool for various events, but that this has been discontinued so that there will be no way of replacing what we currently have when it falls apart.
Whoops ! :lol:
 
#13
Now it's a while since I've seen it but I can only recall one TA unit wearing No1 Dress for Lord Mayor's and that was with Greatcoats.

Everyone else, including marshals (less bands) seemed to wear No 2s or No 8s.
 

Pob02

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#14
QRK2 said:
Now it's a while since I've seen it but I can only recall one TA unit wearing No1 Dress for Lord Mayor's and that was with Greatcoats.

Everyone else, including marshals (less bands) seemed to wear No 2s or No 8s.
The Old 4RGJ/ F and G Coys Londons/ now 7 RIFLES like to make a show of getting out our Greens.

Let's the rest of you know what you could look like :wink:

As already mentioned sadly there is a shortage of the new pattern trousers, so the old green ones will be used for Lord Mayor's this year, and still no sign of new pattern trade badges.
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#15
Pob02 said:
As already mentioned sadly there is a shortage of the new pattern trousers, so the old green ones will be used for Lord Mayor's this year, and still no sign of new pattern trade badges.
I saw some Band & Bugles guys a while back and they seemed to be wearing their old gold trimmed badges alongside their new silver edged chevrons.

Ref the new trousers; is it just a colour change to black?
 

Pob02

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#16
RP578 said:
Pob02 said:
As already mentioned sadly there is a shortage of the new pattern trousers, so the old green ones will be used for Lord Mayor's this year, and still no sign of new pattern trade badges.
I saw some Band & Bugles guys a while back and they seemed to be wearing their old gold trimmed badges alongside their new silver edged chevrons.

Ref the new trousers; is it just a colour change to black?
Rifles - Uniforms

Black trouers, with black welt.

I have also seen numerous crossed rifles/flags etc etc also in the old RGJ pattern, however as per page 43 of attached link they are supposed to be Rifle Green with silver Russia braid outline.
 
#17
SNCOs wear Mess Dress trousers ( = black with a black stripe down the leg ) with No. 1 Dress jacket, cross belt etc.

I was told today that TA cannot get replacement No. 1 Dress as we are not entitled to it. Even the bands have to beg, borrow or... ahem...

I've only ever worn No. 2 dress once and that was some time ago; I've not seen any in the clothing stores. The Londons parade in tailored No. 2 dress and look very smart.

@ 5A - you're creeping me out - thats twice you've made me laugh this week...
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#18
Pob02 said:
I have also seen numerous crossed rifles/flags etc etc also in the old RGJ pattern, however as per page 43 of attached link they are supposed to be Rifle Green with silver Russia braid outline.
Seen, but if you don't got 'em then you don't got 'em. A year and half on and even Rifles Direct still hasn't got any. Maybe this will lead to some kind of moratorium within the Regt of having to put on skill/trade badges.
 
#19
I really cannot get less excited. What the hell do TA need a parade uniform for - to be worn one day a year ? CS 95 reminds people what we really do. Personally I'd rather the money was spent on something useful.

Reminds me of our Adjt when we left NI " Good, get the tartans on and back to some real soldiering ...."
 
#20
Trossachs said:
I really cannot get less excited. What the hell do TA need a parade uniform for - to be worn one day a year ? CS 95 reminds people what we really do. Personally I'd rather the money was spent on something useful.

Reminds me of our Adjt when we left NI " Good, get the tartans on and back to some real soldiering ...."
I think you've slightly missed the point here, Tross. Its not about personal issue or a strnge desire to ponce around rather than get into the field. Its more about the ability of a TA unit to hold a serviceable central pool to equip whichever poor sods are jiffed for the latest 'Army in Society' wheeze—usually, it should be noted, dreamt up and insisted upon by a Regular officer.

The bit that pisses the TA off is the fact that the Army don't seem to be able to supply the kit to do the job which they still insist gets done (this applies to a lot more than uniforms too).
 

Latest Threads