TA near you replacement

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Detective_Dewar_Cooler, May 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd like a decent amount of test data initially, so if some of you helpful chaps could go to www.tanearyou.info , TA unit locator and bang in your own unit details that would be much appreaciated.

Granted it's pretty bare but it's very early work in progress.

Anything added needs a tick in the box from one of the admins before it goes live.

2. You, sir, are a legend.
  3. I'm a bit tired, so I probably should have mentioned you can reposition the marker on the map when you add a unit!

Will add that explanation in.

* We're getting there, cheers for the few samples so far, it's very rough at the moment (plain text, ugly boxes, not much explanation anywhere) but the core minimum functionality is there. Now we shall set about making it prettier and easier to use!
  4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Welcome back :)
  5. Sweet job. The map feature isn't showing up on Google Chrome, not sure if that's just me or not though. I know this discussion's been had once (or twice or...) before, but is there anyone well trained enough to write some sort of script to just lift all the TA units of the armyjobs website and pump them into your database? Or wishful thinking much?!

6. There's a good call for that. Eventually people will be able to log in and maintain their own TA units, sometimes official websites get out of date. Whereas people on the other hand....

Also if you are good enough to plonk your unit up, please remember to drag the marker to the unit! It's nowhere near perfect yet...
  7. This is very good! you do however need to check your DW. '35 Signals' is an awfully common and inappropriate term to refer to a Signal Regiment.

I would simply just remove it, it will be history soon along with many other fine 'Signal Regiments'.
  8. There is a filter process in place, but that's let down by a lack of people to run it! However I see what you mean about 35 Signals being in bad taste so that's now gone.
  9. Good idea - only prob being that the list on the Armyjobs website cannot be guaranteed to be correct/up-to-date. I mean, it's the Armyjobs site, FFS. Better to leave it to a bunch of gifted amateurs to sort out.
  10. msr

msr LE

"The Royal Artillery delivers a vast amount of the Army's firepower. We
    help deliver that capability using a range of equipment, including the
    highly manoeuvrable 105mm Light Gun - which can be under-slung beneath a
    helicopter or even attached to a parachute."

I rest my case.

11. DDC,

Good work on getting the website up and running.

How do we add our units now-also, the site itself is littered with spelling mistakes..not a dig, just a comment..

12. says its under construction? so how do you find / add a unit?
  13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Why? 3 x 105 plus prime movers are part of the standard configuration for the heavy drop aspect of the lead airborne battlegroup.

granted the gun is not directly attached to a parachute, but it can certainly be dropped by parachute.
  14. msr

msr LE

I have never seen either in the TA and I am concerned it gives a false impression of what my regiment does, as we have no airborne role.

I believe the guns were underslung on an exercise once, but that was many years ago.

15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

The guns can be underslung, and air dropped so no lies were told. The fact that you have not seen it would not prevent anyone in your unit attending a large exercise where this could (and does) happen.

What would you prefer? "We have guns, but rarely use them. We spend our time doing admin and MATTs"