Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

TA MK1

Dr_Evil said:
Well, they'd better start resourcing MK1 properly if they don't want people to start doing naughty things such as copying the MK1 CD-ROM and dishing it out to those who need it. Which would be very naughty indeed and I wouldn't advise doing it at all (even though it wouldn't be a breach of copyright as it constitutes "fair use" and in any event what damage could the MoD show it had suffered from the breach; and document security issues would be covered by the fact that the recipient would know what it was and how to safeguard it).

Whoops! However, in many cases it is the only way if you want to move forward.

Meh. You've got some way to go:

Level 1: Cheeky trickster
Level 2: Naughty
Level 3: Under-henchman
Level 4: Henchman
Level 5: Arch-henchman
Level 6: Mrs Evil
Level 7: No 2

abacus said:
Not just WO2s - all NCOs from LCpl up.

I presume their isn't one for SSgts?

Can't wait to tell Mrs the good news.... After doing courses every single year since SDR to get to the next rank ... I know find the goal posts moved from being no courses to around 3-4 for me to get to Capt (If I choose to go that route).

Even if the OC is willing to sign the MK1 excemption to attend JOTAC (which I am sure he will), still need it to get promoted hence might as well do it first. Not holding my breath for MK1(V) as likely to be some time before we see it. In the meantime will continue to print the modules off as at least that gives me an option when going online not available. Whilst I think that the principle of doing the same courses as the Regs is a good one, it must be having a real impact on some units where troopies courses, JOTAC and other courses mean that unless you have a generous employer, it can mean not attending camp for a number of years!

Agree with Dr Evil. would be much better if the files were available from ArmyNet, only got them myself from the discs that 31 Sigs produced. Still find it crazy that you have to justify requesting a cd rom and get your OC to sign the request slip, not everyone has 24hr access to the net!

Rant over, back to the grindstone.

MK1, such a joy.

Had no idea that the cd was no longer available. Terrible.

Again, a regular will be pleased with himself that he's saved 30p on the budget and more importantly, shafted the TA again.

I wonder how much the book set cost? Pennies I would have thought in the grand scheme of things...

I can honestly say I would have thrown in the towel if I hadn't been given a set of the books just before going to Iraq.

msr

And confined yourself to a life as a '2 pip'!!!!!

I expected better of you. With your experiance you should know that there is always a get out clause/loop hole.

A friend who went the WO2 to Commissioned route said that he's glad he did some of the commissioning courses he did. I think there is an element of "I'm a WO2 so why am I doing all this!" without realising that the knowledge the subbies get pumped into them is of a much broader nature, than you get from your Seniors or WOs course, and can be very indepth.

Juggling the amount of time required is what's preventing me from going that route, especially as I can see that these days this is required information to enable me to operate as an officer in todays Combined Arms environment.

Mr_Relaxed said:
A friend who went the WO2 to Commissioned route said that he's glad he did some of the commissioning courses he did.

Damn I forgot about that, so if I eventually go for LE. I would have to do the following (assuming all have been introduced)

1. WO2 CLM (hopefully online taking X amount of time)
1a. LECB (weekend)
2. LE Commissioning course (2 week Sandhurst where I'll learn to call it Sanbags .. :lol: )
3 MK1 (online)
4 JOTAC (2 weeks at a Staff college?)
5 MK2 (online)

That would qualify me as Capt(Tfc), in a LE slot not (normally) available to a DE.

msr said:
I wonder how much the book set cost? Pennies I would have thought in the grand scheme of things...

I guess about £100 per set. Well, they were very colourful and attention-grabbing, with nice pictures. A bit like a nine-volume junior encyclopaedia - but all about war.

As a teenage scrote I would have killed my granny to get hold of such a thing. As a grown-up, I'd kill her for having it. I mean, what the hell would she be doing with MK1? Crazy old Irish biddy.

Maybe the MoD were worried that the MK1 boxed sets would end up in the hands of teenage scrotes (donated by bored post-JOTAC subbies) and that said scrotes might end up joining the forces or something, causing an unbudgeted financial problem for MCM Div in FY 2007/08. So they axed it.

mac_uk_00 said:
unless you have a generous employer, it can mean not attending camp for a number of years!

Great isn't it. Its entirely possible that a newly commissioned officer could go for three to four years without ever actually having to command troops and put into practice what they are supposed to be learning. This takes into account doing the post TACC mods, Pl/Tp comds course, RMQs, JOTAC and the unfortunate fact that not every weekend involves practical command the ubiquitous ITD weekends not counting IHMO.

On the MK1 / JOTAC side of life I welcome the principle of doing courses comparable to the regulars, at least it shows willing for the 'one army'. I do however have the advantage of spending the remainder of this decade and part of the next as a student, making it substantially easier to find the time necessary. My concern lies in some of the content of MK1, which appears to be learning based largely on short term assimilation of large quantities of definitions and specific phrases which will be forgotten as soon as the summative assessment is done.

Purely out of interest... are PQOs required to do MK1 and 2?