Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright lads,

I've been lurking for a while now and still haven't found an answer.

I'm hoping to join the Intelligence Corps Reserves during uni (which for me will start in September), and then transfer to the regs after finishing my degree. My fitness and mental ability are both good, but it's looking hit and miss in terms of my medical, I was born with clubfoot (which was corrected at a very early age) and have always had hammer toe.

Neither of these things affect me as I'm good at running and tabbing, but on the army website they both count as a fail on the medical

HOWEVER: I have heard from a that the TA medical is slightly more forgiving providing you are of good fitness. Is there any truth to this?

Moreover, would it be easier to attain a waiver for the reserves?

No time wasters please as i am genuinely trying to join and need to find out

Cheers to whoever answers

Best thing is to apply or you would always regret not trying. You will certainly fail, but you will know for sure that there was nothing else you could do.

Mad Barry are you angry or mentally ill?

In the past a lot of people got into the TA having failed the Regular medical. Hole in the heart, fused vertebrae, diabetic, asthma, partial deafness, cervical spine deformity, all sorts. ( Yes these are all real examples and they are not me!) This was mainly due to a lack of due diligence on the part of medical officers doing the checks. Also, people didn’t care all that much if it didn't present itself as a problem.

However now it is all being screened by an outside agency and they aren't going to cut corners.

Give it a go and see what happens.

Cheers for the answers, I can see that the standards are the same in both the regs and reserves, and from the sound of it are stringently enforced.

However, as neither condition affects my physical ability (sub 8:30 on the 1.5 miler) do you think i could get a waiver?

Cheers to all those who have answered so far it's much appreciated.

The_Duke

LE
If it says no, then your application will be declined. You may then appeal. No-one on here will be able to accurately predict how that appeal will go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads