TA Medical Query

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Derfel2010, Jan 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright guys?

Is the medical different depending on the unit you wish to join?

The reason I ask is I had a thorough medical at Woolwich which I passed.

However someone on here posted their GP had been contacted as part of their's - mine wasn't.

I just think the medical should be the same for all.

Any ideas???

2. msr

msr LE

Some units have access to a military doctor, some don't. The medical remains the same whoever conducts it.

Also, if there are any queries, they may ask your GP for clarification.

msr

3. Thanks msr, that clarify things.

4. You should have filled in a health questionnaire (form RG8), which is then passed on to your GP for him to confirm your answers and add anything relevant before you undergo your medical. This is to prevent people being economical with the truth regarding things like asthma.

The medical standards required are the same regardless of which part of the Army you want to join.

5. Err. Nope. Not really.

You want to be UKSF(R), 4 PARA or Infantry, you'll need to meet a higher medical standard than, just for example, R SIGNALS (says the nearly blind, high blood pressure, knackered knees signaller). Some people will take the colour blind, some won't, some will take ex-service injuries, some won't etc, etc.

Asthma, diabetes, bits of other people in you - okay, yes.

6. What about Royal Artillery?

7. You need to be a little more specific I think ... if your asking about a specific injury/problem then speak with the unit you want to join and check with their doc.

For me I was given my RG8 to take to the doctor, he then sent it back to my unit, I then had my TA medical, the army doc went through the returned RG8 with me ....

8. msr

msr LE

You have passed the medical, so worry not :)

msr

9. yep, now just gotta get on a TARS!!!

Missed one because defence cuts were announced, then Pirbright had a sickness and the shits bug and was closed (weird) so hoping for February!!!

10. Mine was pretty thorough, looked up my arse the lot!!!!

Still just wanna get cracking now (Excuse the pun)

11. In an ideal crown-and-a-pip-on-your-rankslide view, perhaps. From personal experience - no. Doctors all differ, as do professionals in any walk of life and some will let you through with bits missing whereas others will bounce you because you had a few sniffles back in 1987 and saw the doctor about it.

12. Out of intrest are the medical standards for UKSF(R), 4 PARA and infantry the same?