TA medical officer: eyesight standards and Hx depression

Hello,

Im considering an application to join the TA RAMC as a medical officer (Im a qualified GP). I wondered however if having had a couple of brief bouts of reactive depression (twice in 20 years) will mean its a no go. I'm not on medication, have never had any sick leave due to depression in past 3 years etc (max was 2 weeks after divorce).

Also, Ive got a mild visual defect in right eye (amblyopia, lazy eye) which means vision even with glasses out of it is only ab 6/24, but left eye is fine for drivng and work etc (6/9 - 6/6 on a good day). Since its never caused me any problems with work/driving, I wondered if its something I might be able to get in with?

Plus, who does medical for entry to TA? Local GPs (most of whom I know) or a TA medical officer- Id prefer the latter.

Advice from those in RAMC or in the know very gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

I'm a urology SpR and I had my medical done by a medical officer. I have heard others do have theirs done by GPs... I'm not sure how it gets decided.

Give it a shot - I'm not sure how they'll take to the history of depression... I think that might frighten them off a bit, especially as it wasn't a one-off. Still, you can but try and it does no harm to apply.

With regards to the vision, I think if it's correctable, it's acceptable but I don't know for sure (I don't do medicals and don't have an eyesight problem).

Good luck.

FF.

Thanks FF;

I will give it a shot anyhow, although am surprised that 2 minor episodes of depression/adjustment reaction in 20 years are that much of a problem- guess I will have to wait and see. Considering we work in the NHS and Ive done lots of stints in A&E which like a battle zone at times, would have thought that demonstrated my ability to handle stress and pressure! its funny how stigma of depression haunts your career - no wonder no-one ever comes forward about it. Ill have a chat to the MO at the unit and see what he thinks. Fair enough if I'd had bipolar or schizophrenia however.

I thought the eyesight thing would be more of a problem!!!!

Thanks anyway for feedback and best of luck with rest of your training.

MS.

Hello Muffinsmuggler

I'd expect that an RAMC MO (probably a GDMO) would do your medical for you. It's a bit more than a formality - as one would expect - but I wouldn't anticipate the Hx depression (especially given that it was reactive rather than bipolar) would cause that great a problem.

Feel free to drop me a PM.