TA medical officer: eyesight standards and Hx depression

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Muffinsmuggler, May 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

Im considering an application to join the TA RAMC as a medical officer (Im a qualified GP). I wondered however if having had a couple of brief bouts of reactive depression (twice in 20 years) will mean its a no go. I'm not on medication, have never had any sick leave due to depression in past 3 years etc (max was 2 weeks after divorce).

Also, Ive got a mild visual defect in right eye (amblyopia, lazy eye) which means vision even with glasses out of it is only ab 6/24, but left eye is fine for drivng and work etc (6/9 - 6/6 on a good day). Since its never caused me any problems with work/driving, I wondered if its something I might be able to get in with?

Plus, who does medical for entry to TA? Local GPs (most of whom I know) or a TA medical officer- Id prefer the latter.

Advice from those in RAMC or in the know very gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks
  2. I'm a urology SpR and I had my medical done by a medical officer. I have heard others do have theirs done by GPs... I'm not sure how it gets decided.

Give it a shot - I'm not sure how they'll take to the history of depression... I think that might frighten them off a bit, especially as it wasn't a one-off. Still, you can but try and it does no harm to apply.

With regards to the vision, I think if it's correctable, it's acceptable but I don't know for sure (I don't do medicals and don't have an eyesight problem).

Good luck.

3. Thanks FF;

I will give it a shot anyhow, although am surprised that 2 minor episodes of depression/adjustment reaction in 20 years are that much of a problem- guess I will have to wait and see. Considering we work in the NHS and Ive done lots of stints in A&E which like a battle zone at times, would have thought that demonstrated my ability to handle stress and pressure! its funny how stigma of depression haunts your career - no wonder no-one ever comes forward about it. Ill have a chat to the MO at the unit and see what he thinks. Fair enough if I'd had bipolar or schizophrenia however.

I thought the eyesight thing would be more of a problem!!!!

Thanks anyway for feedback and best of luck with rest of your training.

4. Hello Muffinsmuggler

I'd expect that an RAMC MO (probably a GDMO) would do your medical for you. It's a bit more than a formality - as one would expect - but I wouldn't anticipate the Hx depression (especially given that it was reactive rather than bipolar) would cause that great a problem.

Feel free to drop me a PM.