TA medal wearing bloke in the Stainer.

Discussion in 'RLC' started by General Melchett, Dec 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

I'm not one to normally make adverse comment about things I see in the Stainer, but the TA chap on page 636?

Badly mounted and wearing on CS95? Plus, I'm sure, he's also wearing the Non-article five NATO medal with the FRY and Kosovo medal which I was under the impression was not to be worn if either/both the others had been awarded.

Grantham, tell me walt is going on?

Thank you.
  2. Have not seen the photo in question but not uncommon for TA to (be ordered to) wear medals on CS95 for some formal occasions / presentations due to lack of more suitable uniforms.

Usual story - "medals to be worn" - "but, sir, we've only got CS95" - "SHUDDUPANDGEDDONWITHIT!"
  3. General Melchett

OK, I hear you, but one glance at the picture and all will become clear.
  4. Goes looking for the Sustainer and cant find one anywhere, but....i have the Non-Article 5 thing and if you have had the FRY Medal you cant wear the 5 medal (its in my desk top drawer as i type). But as for the CS95 thing, Yellow is right.
  5. General Melchett

Defo looks like the Non 5 medal with the FRY and Kos.
  6. I believe you may be right about the "extra" medal but as for the mounting, they are clearly not mounted in his case but being worn pinned on seperately. As that is how they were issued, I wouldnt take too much offence.
  7. I'm also very sure the other guy on his right is wearing the rosette on the GRANBY medal which is deffo a no-no
  8. The rosette is for ribbon bar only I believe.

Stand to be corrected though.
  9. Yer totally correct. It's only the Falklands rosette that is worn on the medal.
    The rosette on the GRANBY and TELIC medals is only to be worn on the ribbon to signify you have the bar to the medal.
    (JSP 336)
    (3rd EDITION)

Volume 12. Supply Chain Instructions for the Land Environment
    (formerly Materiel Regulations for the Army)

Part 3 Clothing, Pam 10, Orders, Decorations and Medals

Seems to contradict itself:
    (Please correct me if I am wrong, But No 8 Dress is Temporate Climate Combats aka Operational Clothing)

15. Orders of Dress on Which Awards are to be Worn.

Orders, Decorations and Medals are worn with the following orders of dress:
    a. Full dress, and frockcoat (Not H Div).
    b. Nos 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 10 and 11 dress.
    c. No 8 dress when authorised by regional commanders for specific parades.

16. When Awards are not Worn.

Orders, Decorations and Medals are not to be worn:
    a. On greatcoats.
    b. When attending an Investiture.
    c. When attending Royal garden parties.
    d. When attending parades or ceremonies as a spectator unless ordered to wear them.
    e. On operational or protective clothing.
  11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

That's the problem with the TA these days - we keep getting sent to foreign places and then (eventually) given a Medal to remember them by.

Very, very few TA Units have No2 Dress. Given that the only Uniform that they are issued is CS95, when/how/on what are TA Soldiers expected to actually wear their medals?

I have seen several parades when Medals were worn on CS95 - not through choice, but necessity. They do't look that bad, and of course THERE IS NO CHOICE. It is hardly the fault of the TA Soldiers involvedif the Army is happy to award them Medals, but not willing to stump up for a decent Uniform to wear them on!
  12. I find it interesting that medals should not be worn as a parade spectator. See quite a few infractions of that nature.
  13. Some medics wore them on their smocks on last remeberance parade.It looks wrong but guess if you just got it you'd want to wear it at least once .
  14. The guy looks like a bag of shite plain and simple!!!!