TA LE commission

Hi all,

was speaking to an ADJ of an OTC at the weekend, he mentioned that a new way for getting a commssion along the lines of the regular LE commssion. this is aimed at people over 30 with a minimum of 5-6 years service, it cuts out all the TAPOC?DETAPO stuff by the sounds of it you have to get recommended by your OC then you sit an interview with 3 officers (i wouls imagine like TCB) if you then pass this interview you get comissioned with the provision that you attend a 2 week confirmatory assesment at sandybuckets!

anybody heard of this?

ps if i got some of the thing wrong please excuse me as i was slightly intoxicated :wink:

I believe you have to be a SSgt or above, be interviewed by the LECB (Commisioning Board). If recommended a SSgt would normally get Lt and and WO2 Capt.
I don't believe you have to attend Sandhurst.
http://www.sandhurst.mod.uk/leoc/ta.htm Have a look at the RMAS site. They do a TALEOC course now for SSGTS and above who have passed a Bde board (3 X Lt Cols) and over 30 years old with "considerable" service.

"a TA LE officer is deemed to be one who has served in the ranks for a considerable period of time, is over 30, and was commissioned by a Div/Dist/Bde Board".

PM me if you need more info.
^I see you have to do the Mk1 before attending that course and the course should be done within a year, how long does that take?
Also I see one course straddles two financial years, how does that work for bounty?
The two week course has been designed for well motivated students with some previous knowledge and experience, who have completed a small pre-reading package based on current affairs and Military Knowledge 1 (MK1) material

The small pre-reading package is based on MK1 it is not actually MK1.
LE Promotion Rules

Full details of the rules for promotion to Major and Lieutenant Colonel are in a number of sources. AGAI 35 has yet to be updated following the 1998 LE Review so DCI(A)56/98 should be consulted if necessary. Below is a summary of the rules for the substantive promotion of LE officers. (In all cases, officers must have received a positive recommendation for promotion in their latest Appraisal Report).

* Captain. Hold a SSC(LE) or SRC(LE). In due course newly commissioned LE officers will attend the 3 week LE Officers Course (LEOC) at RMAS.

* Major. Hold a SSC(LE), SRC(LE) or Reg C(LE). Have been selected by No 5 Promotion Board. Officers enter the promotion zone on 1 Jan of the calendar in which they complete 6 years commissioned service. Officers remain in the promotion zone for four years leaving on 31 Dec of their fourth year in the zone.

* Lieutenant Colonel. Hold a Reg C(LE). Have been selected by No 4 Promotion Board. Officers will be selected at age 51-52 for promotion at age 52-53.

* Colonel. SSC(LE) and SRC(LE) officers who are converted to a DE Reg C may have the opportunity for promotion to Colonel and beyond, subject to Direct Entry promotion and selection criteria.

* QARANC Only. QARANC nursing officers are commissioned as Lieutenants and promote under the current rules with antedated seniority calculated in accordance with Article 57 of the Army Pay Warrant 1964.
NAP6W, how recent is that? I had a PM a month or two back which indicated their was to be no differences in the rules for promotion, i.e. the quartermaster commission would exist in name.
The routes to commissioning in the TA are changing (yet another one of the big changes). There will be different routes in to commissioned service - Direct entry (both the DE scheme and Sig/LCpl as currently exists), and serving soldiers (SSgts and above). Currently there is a limit of the number of LE/QMs each unit can have - ie it should only be QM, Tfc Offr, TOT etc as set out in the Estab. Under current rules LE offrs are all comissioned as QM offrs who should not normally qualify for Sig Sqn comd (but hey we all know differently). Promotion thereafter is time spent.

That is all changing - all LE officers will enter as combat officers - the same as those who entered as Sig/LCpl but for SSgts at Lt (promted to Capt in one year) and WO's as Capt. Thereafter they compete for places and do the same courses as the DE offr and get the same opportunities for Sqn comd and possibly promotion to Lt Col!

I presume that you are currently a SSgt. You should get to WO2 in about 2 years time. Dependant how old you are I would suggest you go for LECB in 2008 to enter as a Capt. If you are now a WO2 you will need to speak to the CO if you want a go this year (06) or aim at 2007.

With regards your old CRs I would not worry about them to much. They are already historic, by the time you go for LECB they will be achived. You must however make sure your Tfc Offr or Ops Maj (or whoever in your Regt writes your CR Pt1) recommends you for a commission and make it clear that is your aspiration in your MPAR etc. The value of your CR is also dependant on who writes it - you should be looking at your OC if you are in a Sqn) with the CO doing Part 2 if you can swing it. In my Regt the CO did Pt2 for all the WO's, & TA YofS & FofS's.

You should be able to track down a copy of the new officer system - it will be in RHQ on file by now (and possibly in Sqns) so as XXXX you have every right to hunt it down!
And more

Confidentials said:
The essential thing is to get a recommendation - without that you'll get no where - and that is the key.

A good A is just as good as an O especially now everyone is being told not to over-grade. Don't get fobbed off by a poor write up, espcially from your 1RO. Doing the XXXXX course is a great idea, firstly it will mark you out from your peers, secondly it will be exceeding useful as a XXXXX Offr, will open up a commissioned career profile as well.

My strongest advice is don't get hung up on aiming for an A or O, be yourself, worry about your tradesmen, be intuiative, use initative look for ways of improving things - all teh stuff you do on here. That is what will mark you out!
when i was speaking to the aforementioned ADJ he knows i am a L/cpl with 10 yrs service 3 of which with an OTC. he didn,t metion anything about having to be a S/Sgt or above??
I have also been told something like that by my old OC who is now 2i/c of the regiment. He said that it was minimum 5 years experience and minimum rank was Cpl.
Your CO can get an age waiver so that you can be considered for the standard TACC. With the shortage of suitable TA officer applicants from all sources, this should be easily achieved.
If you have previous regular military experience and are interviewed by your CO and he makes a recommendation to Brigade then age becomes pretty academic. Remember you can only serve to 35.5 as a 2nd Lt though, so he will have to judge if you are suitable to forego the 2 years probation on your commission.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bullshit Officers 22
C Aviation 15
S Officers 34