TA Joining & Training Questions.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by lpotts1, May 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys, just got a couple questions, already posted this on :: Military Forums - Welcome :: but it seems like the activity on that board is a bit low, so i figured i'd post here instead and hope for a bit more success.

It is a wall of text but i just want a couple questions answered, skip to the bold bit if you're not bothered about my background and just wanna have a pop at the answers.

Okay,
    So just a bit of background info so you guys know the crack. Im 19, male, 6' 2" and 14 stone, i consider myself to be of an average fitness level but have recently started training again after a long break, got back in the gym and im running regularly. Interests have varied a lot over the years but most recently have been training in mixed martial arts for a year and have always had a very strong interest in hillwalking/hiking and rock-climbing. I guess i've always liked the idea of joining the Armed Forces, and its always been an idea that has remained hidden in the back of my mind, but about 3 weeks ago i eventually decided to take the first step, and sent away my online application, filled in with as much detail as i could manage at the time.
    I got a phone-call back from the Careers Office 3 days ago and they told me i should come in next Friday as they have a regular weekly presentation where a guy from the TA comes in and talks about life/training in the TA. However, this prompted a couple of questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Has anyone else been to any of these presentations before, and if so can you give me a bit of an insight on what to expect?

2) If anyone has a rough idea how long it takes from application to selection weekend, i would love to know, as im dying to get started.

3) After this presentation, does anybody know if i can apply there and then at the ACO, or will i have to go to my chosen TA centre? (for the record this will be 216 Brigade Support Squadron in Tynemouth)

4) What is the deal with the pay, i know there is a lot of information out there, but i've done a hell of a lot of reading and i still dont quite understand it, i know the TA isn't here to support the unemployed, and that is not why im doing it, but i am still interested in the pay. So for example, i already know i get paid per day i spend training, but how long per day do you spend training? And is there a maximum amount of days that i can train in a year?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that there is a minimum amount of days you need to train, which i think is around 26/29, cant remember off the top of my head, but i feel like this is a very small amount of time spent training, and was wondering if ill get the opportunity to do much more than this?

So yeah, sorry for the giant wall of text, but I just wanted a few things clarified in-case they're questions with obvious answers and i go making a tit out of myself by asking them in-front of other potential recruits.

Cheers in advance for any information, and please be constructive, this is all relatively new to me so don't go taking the piss if ive cocked up somewhere.

Liam.

2. Just go along, mate, Each unit differs a bit, just have a look.

3. Hi Bravo Bravo,

First off, thanks for the reply, i didn't expect anything that quickly.
    Secondly, i am going to go along, theres no question about this, ive set my mind on joining now and i will make it happen, but i was hoping to get a few questions clarified before i turned up there so i don't feel like a fish out of water and have no idea what's going on.

Liam.

4. 1) Has anyone else been to any of these presentations before, and if so can you give me a bit of an insight on what to expect?

No and without wanting to do the AFCO recruiters a disservice I wouldn't put too much faith in them. The AFCO and ACIOs on the whole are geared up for Regular applicants and you may find if you probe a little that their knowledge on all things TA isn't all that clued up beyond the actual requirements for entry. You would be better off going in to see 216 on a drill night and asking all your questions down there. If you decide to proceed they should be able to transfer any paperwork you have already completed down from the AFCO.

2) If anyone has a rough idea how long it takes from application to selection weekend, i would love to know, as im dying to get started.

Read the TA recruiting process article on the arrsepedia. Essentially it depends on you, i've seen it take less than a week and more than a year.

3) After this presentation, does anybody know if i can apply there and then at the ACO, or will i have to go to my chosen TA centre? (for the record this will be 216 Brigade Support Squadron in Tynemouth)

The online data you supplied will already have been considered an application. If you decide not to continue this will be withdrawn.

4) What is the deal with the pay, i know there is a lot of information out there, but i've done a hell of a lot of reading and i still dont quite understand it, i know the TA isn't here to support the unemployed, and that is not why im doing it, but i am still interested in the pay. So for example, i already know i get paid per day i spend training, but how long per day do you spend training? And is there a maximum amount of days that i can train in a year?

It is a minimum commitment of 27 days. A day is 8 hours training, 0.75 days is 6 hours training, etc, etc. The amount of days you can complete is limited by the budget of the unit you join.

5. Okay guys, thought I'd give an update on my situation, basically i went to the AFCO and had the presentation, it was well presented and very informative, it was also done by a very friendly bloke who was coincidentally, one of the Cpls at the regiment I wanted to join, so we told me to head down to the ta centre the coming wednesday for a more in depth chat. Went down on the Wednesday and got a lot from the hour long chat I had with the bloke there. He basically said someone would get in touch with me over the next few days to get me in on Tuesday (today) and I would have a recruitment interview. Went in today and spoke to the captain for a good 45 mins while they were prepping my forms for me. He gave me a very positive feel about the whole thing and really got me excited about getting my medical and stuff out the way and taking the next step, also told me that he thinks I am the perfect candidate for one of the many officer vacancies they have. After leaving his office I recieved my paperwork, which is essentially just a CRB check. I am in the process of filling this in right now and am back in tomorrow night to hand it in and collect my medical forms. Have already made an appointment to see my GP on Thursday so I can go give him the medical forms and hopefully speed up the process. After that is done they're saying that I will be taken up to Hexham to do Army medicals and then get my selection date sorted providing there are no medical problems. Feeling hopeful now and happy that things are going good so far.

Just did this so people can sort of live vicariously through my experiences which I feel will be useful for anyone about to undertake the same procedures.

Sorry if the grammar/spelling/punctuation is wrong in parts, I'm typing this from my iPod touch.

6. A bit of thread necromancy here, but how are you getting on pottsy? I hope its been as slick since you last posted....