TA infantry Regiments deployed en masse on ops?

Guys,

Am curious to know how many if any TA infantry Regiments/Companys, have deployed to Afgan en masse? Does this type of thing happen, or do the guys just get attached to the regular parent unit or whoever, needs the bods? :?

My knowlege is very weak so dont take my word for it.

But from what I've seen, I'm pretty sure that volunteers (TA rarely get drafted) just fill in regular units hence the preparatory training before deployment to get them upto scratch with the regular soldiers they'll be serving with.

But I'll leave it upto someone else to prove I'm talking bollocks. :D

The_Duke

LE
Yes, you are.

The London Regiment and 2 R Irish have recently sent formed composite companies, and I am sure that others have done so as well. They are generally earmarked for force protection tasks, but have worked in the manoeuvre Coys up to Pl level.

Other units (certainly 4 Para) avoid FP like the plague and always mobilise as IRs to backfill the regular Bns.

Sure I read in Soldier Mag earlier in the year, that a TA unit of the Royal Irish had deployed with company strength, and were employed as force protection around Bastion, but I maybe mistaken?

ive deployed as individual reinforcement with a regular unit and as part of a TA force protection company to iraq and as part of a platoon to afghanistan.

as far as i am aware,and i could be wrong, individual reinforcements are joining regular units on Herrick but TA at company level are usually used as force protection.

but as usual there are rumours :) of future company level deployments on Herrick on frontline duties rather than force protection.

7 RIFLES had a Composite Company on a rather lively tour of Afg earlier this year.

bigjarofwasps said:
Sure I read in Soldier Mag earlier in the year, that a TA unit of the Royal Irish had deployed with company strength, and were employed as force protection around Bastion, but I maybe mistaken?
Yes we were. We took over from 7 Rifles, and the job is now being done by 6 Rifles. God help 6 Rifles - at least we had Now Zad/FOB Keenan to cover as well as stagging on.

Cheers guys, for all your replies. Am I understanding this then that these composite companys, deploy under their own unit, and not under their parent unit, for example the company from 6 Rifles (V) say were just that 6 Rifles, and not just an additional company to say 1 Rifles?

Is history being written with this composite companys? I do hope so. How times have changed since the TA were looked down upon by the regs...

danielsan said:
7 Scots provided a FP Coy on Telic 9, the two units before were all TA Inf but fro a couple of Regts.
You Scots always seem to take over from us on tours :) i was part of the LCV Plt on Fingal in 02 then Normandy Coy on Telic 8 in 06.

very glad to see you guys on both occasions.

i think we have established TA have deployed as Force Protection Company's. i wonder what the liklihood is of deploying at battalion strength with our own chain of command?

I decided after my last tour i wont volunteer for future Force Protection mobilisations. However i would definitely be interested if it was to support our guys in Helmand.

fusilier50 said:
danielsan said:
7 Scots provided a FP Coy on Telic 9, the two units before were all TA Inf but fro a couple of Regts.
You Scots always seem to take over from us on tours :) i was part of the LCV Plt on Fingal in 02 then Normandy Coy on Telic 8 in 06.

i think we have established TA have deployed as Force Protection Company's. i wonder what the liklihood is of deploying at battalion strength with our own chain of command?

I decided after my last tour i wont volunteer for future Force Protection mobilisations. However i would definitely be interested if it was to support our guys in Helmand.
Oh and thanks for teaching the kids some english for us - very kind. I only hope the Gunners who took over from us appreciate the efforts wee took to teach the kiddies "bawbag" and "pish" :muhaha:

fusilier50 said:
danielsan said:

Some Btns struggle to raise full coys, this stems from three or four reasons.

[align=center]Work unable to spare you.
Family single parent or disabled child which can lead to RTU in theatre
Time bar from serving before
Actual unwillingness to go
[/align]
With new blood from cic, btns are always able to provide fresh blood for tours.
If you look at certain Btns and compare the actual ratio of troops going back for a second or third or even fourth tour to the number on their first.

To raise a platoon is fairly straight forward, a company is a challenge but to actually get a complete btn would be interesting to see happen.
I appreciate that non inf TA units can go out fully formed with their command struture.

Cheers Guys, so taking this one stage further if i maybe so bold......

Other than the FP role around Bastion, what other stuff were you guys `trusted` with (if thats the right word)?

*****Infantry related replies prefered******

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
modwatchdog said:

Other than the FP role around Bastion, what other stuff were you guys `trusted` with (if thats the right word)?

It seems to pretty much shake out like this: Each Territorial battalion is called on to provide a formed Company every two years. In reality most Bns can field a couple of platoons with the rest coming from Regular and Regular Reserve augmentees.

In addition to this they are called on to provide augmentees to their Regiments' Regular battalions and there they will intergrated into the Bn as needed. So in answer to your question, they end up doing the same as their Regular comrades. To illustrate this, we in 7 Rifles have had a formed company come home this April and are now sending out about a 30 soldiers to 2 Rifles over the next couple of months, where we are expected to fill the many gaps in their battalion.

We'll have a couple of months to assimilate into, and get to know, our new Bn before we head out for what will be a demanding tour in Helmand where we have been told that we can expect to be deployed to the Forward operating Bases for 5-6 weeks at a time. We're by no means unique in this and far from the first. Truth be told, 4 PARA were acting as an integral reserve pool for their Regt's Reg Bns well before the rest of us got in on the act.

Bravo_Bravo said:
Gents can I remind all of OPSEC.
you certainly can :p but all of the above posts cover information that is in public domain.

modwatchdog said:

can i ask what your angle is here? Your using very inflammatory language which seems geared up to get a certain reaction.

i think we have established both ARAB and STAB are out there fighting or performing important tasks. Those of us STAB's who have been there have more than dispelled oudated views on the TA. Your questions seem to be looking to find the old pre-Iraq/Afghan antagonism between us.

dont you know its all one army now :roll: