TA infantry for London

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Keeping_it_real, May 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is the score with the London regiment at the moment (and future if any)?

Is there anyone with an insight into what may be happening i.e. are the jackets staying with the other redcoat companies or are they all going back to their parent regiments.

2. I don't know whether anything official has been announced, but rumour control and wikipedia says Following the restructuring of the British Army in 2004, it was announced that the Brigade of Guards would gain a TA battalion. "While there is no confirmation as yet, it is logical to assume that the London Regiment would be the choice for this. It is likely that the two Royal Green Jackets companies would transfer to the new TA battalion of that regiment, leaving the remaining four plus the HQ Company to become Guards. It is not clear however whether this would form a new Guards regiment, which would seem logical as the five regular Guards regiments are not amalgamating, or simply the 6th Battalion, Foot Guards."

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Regiment"

3. Ok Thanks for that.

Sounds like it could be interesting times ahead for both the green jacket and the redcoat companies.

I think one capbadge for the London regiment is a good idea as it stops all the s**t about what capbadge is better once and for all. If its a guards battalion (TA) what regiment would it be or would it be Irish Guards coy 6th Guards Bn, Scots Guards coy 6th Guards Bn etc.

speaking as someone who is in the Londons it wouldn't be too bad!

4. There WILL be a London reg, but the Jackets may go from the Londons as a 4th Bat of the jackets is being created.

I also believe that their will be a cap badged london reg, no longer PWRR, Scots, Irish etc, one regiment=more pride... tis best in the end really.

MOD planned to cut the TA infantry to 2000 at one point (mad c*nts), but that is not goin to happen now.

5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Redcoat companies!? Shows an extreme ignorance on the part of the writer.

The London Scottish have never worn redcoats. We have worn Hodden Grey since being formed. The regiment was originally formed as 'Rifle Volunteers' but didn't bother with the american style green worn by the slap jackets. We adopted a proper Scottish colour.

I'm not at all sure but I doubt if the paddies have ever worn red either.

Other than that its a valid question, whats to happen to the Londons? My bet is that the Scottish and Irish will be left alone but that the Guards will take the lead as regualr regiment.

No idea on the fate of the other regiment's companies.

Redcoats indeed!

6. I can see the Londons being closer affiliated with the Guards, but I doubt that they'll change capbadges, purely on the basis of the cost of fitting out the Regiment in red tunics and bearskins. You never know though.

If the Londons did rebadge to Guards, I don't think a new Regiment of foot guards would be formed -just that A Coy would rebadge SG, and D Coy to IG, which would be logical. B and C would have to fight it out, each or both going to the Grens or Coldstreamers. F and G Coys would go to their parent regiment. As I said, I can't see it happening under Bliar's "spend no money" policy.

7. Well, I was in 2RGJ and 4RGJ and I think that it was daft when they got rid of 4RGJ with the SDR.

As I say I only know the rumours, but I am pretty sure you will be looking at a Greenjacket Battalion.

If it happens I hope someone organises a celebration, I'll come and get pissed with the boys.

8. It's a sinister plan to get a cheap supply of blokes to do ceremonial duties!

9. Might be way off beam here and totally wrong. But isn't HAC part of the Houshold Division?

I understood Household Div was the five regts of Foot Guards, the Household Cav Regt and the HAC.

Therefore, no TA Guards infantry required under the FAS but there would be a TA Regt in Household (or Guards) Div.

As I say I might be wrong.

James

10. The HAC are a bit odd aren't they.

They are definitely not Household Div, although some of thier PSI's are.

They are, according to the MOD website, a RA Unit. The site says "HAC soldiers are also attached to other units to gain or provide expertise and supports exercises conducted by our Regular Army Sister unit, 4/73 Special OP Battery."

I assume that won't change.

11. I think you might find that the Lodon Irish were actually a Rifle regiment (in which case makes them closer to Green Jackets) however they lost that status when the RUR joined the irish redcoats (1968ish). I think you will find that they are (or were part of the Royal Irish Rangers then) who are a redcoat regiment (even though they don't wear them. Funny still trying to be green jackets.... but not!!)

The London Scottish however as you rightly state wear hodden grey which is more like the old army blanket in colour except without the line down the centre (and if you can tell me the real reason why they wear that i might be impressed, and don't say its about poachers and dear hunting).

By the way i think you will find that the americans copied the green of the Rifle Brigade and KRRC!

What I should have said was Line Regiment coys.

Celler et Audax my friend (and another bonus point if you know what that is!)

12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Swift and Bold?

13. The London Irish Rifles used to be 4 Royal Irish Rangers, but when the Royal Irish Reg. came along all that went out the window, even though LIR privates are still actually called "Ranger."

The LIR were originally the London Irish Rifle Volunteers, and as such they keep some of the traditions of a Rifle Regiment.

14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Errrm, the HAC gets a lot of press.

To clarify, the HAC

and to quote the British Army site (last updated 1998...):

15. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Hodden Grey is a traditional tartan. Not usually as 'pink' as LS's Elcho Grey (to give it its correct titile). The LSRV adopted it as camoflage. Lord Elcho selected it:

"The principle that guided me was simply this. A soldier is a man-hunter, neither more or less, and as deer stalker-stalker uses the least visible of colours so ought the soldier to be clad....".

So I'm afraid it is about deer hunters - though I doubt if Lord Elch would have approved of poachers.

There were also considerations about choosing a Tartan that all members could wear with no clan rivalries but that was secondary.