TA Infantry assigned to BAOR 1989

#21
Peeler said:
Hi all, wondering if I can get some help. I found a bit in an old Hansard but a FOI to the MOD has not been answered ( along with a request for the MARILYN Report ). I'm doing some research and trying to find out the wartime assignments and roles of the TA Infantry assigned to BAOR. This is what I have so far( from Hansard):

Peeler
Look at www.tank-net.org for a very comprehensive answer.

However, based on the same data:

http://www.geocities.com/littlegreenmen.geo/1989.htm
 
#22
Georgethebear said:
Not entirely sure that 5R Irish had a Milan Pln. Know for certain that 4 R Irish did.
Yes we did. The whole bn was assigned to BAOR though, but maybe they just put the Milan platoon in because they were expexting us all to leg it to the Free State, or hide in the London Underground, depending on which company :D
 
#24
Sapukay thank you, I've contributed to the Tanknet page and I sent the Hansard to the author of the other site, one of the reasons I'm looking for this info is for the Tanknet page. The Para Rgt bit I found in http://www.amazon.com/dp/1854090976/?tag=armrumser-20
Mushroom, I have read a large number of works related to the BAOR in the 1980's and it struck me that none of them say "... ok, 7th Ard. Bde. is going to be div reserve......or 4 RGJ was to be deployed to here to be a blocking force for 1st Ard. Div......" I've only read that BAOR would be brought up to strength by the TA.....and that's it. I'm interested in what roles the TA had if the balloon went up, where they were to be deployed and how a light role TA unit would be integrated into a heavy brigade. I also would like to eventually do a book on the subject. Again many thanks and keep the info coming.
Peeler
 
#26
Roles changed over the years. My Bn had a bridge demolition guard task in '74. 76 to 81 three companies had Bridge guard tasks, one guarded a key defile and one was force helicopter reserve. We then moved on to guarding a Corps supply area, with one coy on a key defile before ending up as part of a two bn blocking position across a major likely invasion route. Some Bns had one task for the whole of that period.
 
#28
mushroom said:
Roles changed over the years. My Bn had a bridge demolition guard task in '74. 76 to 81 three companies had Bridge guard tasks, one guarded a key defile and one was force helicopter reserve. We then moved on to guarding a Corps supply area, with one coy on a key defile before ending up as part of a two bn blocking position across a major likely invasion route. Some Bns had one task for the whole of that period.
Hmmm remember them especially the visit from Gen Haig on the Weser, oh and as for Crusader got mightily sick gettin me b ollocks fried every mornin, Logan you tw@t!! turn the fekin leccy off of this fence!!!!!
 
#29
Hats - at least we got your trenches dug for you for Haigs visit - and still had time for a few beers.

Went back to Draculas castle this year, it was on the Leine not the Weser.

Happy days
 
#31
Sapukay said:
px4llp said:
Sure 4 PARA was 15 INF Bde at the time...
Nope, the lack of a 2nd airborne bde was recognised ca 1987-8 and the "Parachute Regiment Group" was created to componsate. "Bde" HQ was based around RHQ Para, and 4, 10 and 15 Para with a lack of arty etc.

Well I was with 15 INF at the time and I went on many a course run by DIV and including 4 PARA.
 
#33
I bought the book......... no mention of TA units other than 15th and 49th Bde ( I actually emailed the authors with the Hansard info for their second edition. Thanks Sapukay :D
 
#34
The good old days, when we did bundles of training to keep the skills up. No time for beat up training if the red hoards came over the border, 48 hours to get your arrse mobilised, over to Germany, dig a hole and die in it.
Funnily enough recruiting and retention only became an issue when the wall came down....
 
#36
Delberto is correct about retention. G Coy 4 RGJ used to put on average 200 bods in the field on FTXs and camps in Germany. That was a full company, anti tank platoon (co located) MT and REME LAD (co located).
 
#37
I served in 8QF(V) - (8th [Volunteer] Battalion, Queen's Fusiliers [City of London]) from 1988 until 1993. As mentioned previously we were assigned as Convoy Escort and Protection battalion to 50 Missile Regiment RA who were based at Menden in Germany and were 1 Br Corps tactical nuclear deterrent.

Each rifle platoon was assigned to protect either a Lance missile launcher or support vehicle when moving or hidden. To that end each rifle section was mounted in a 3/4 Ton GS Land Rover and had a trailer to carry webbing, bergans, rats and water.

Platoons operated autominously and a high degree of responsiblity was placed on Pl. and Sect. Comds. shoulders. (What is now referred to in Human Resource circles as 'empowerment').

We practised this role in the UK and Germany and gained the respect and trust of 50 Missile, unfortunately the coming down of the Berlin Wall brought about the end of this role.

As a footnote - back in the 70's when we had Mobex's in 6/7 Queens (a GS battalion), the Company frequently had more blokes report in (120+) on a Friday night than could be lifted in company transport which consisted of 1 x 3/4 Ton FFR, 2 x GS 3/4 Ton, 4 x 4 Ton TK and a Leyland Minibus - hence the Fred Karnos appearance of the convoy to the Key Point consisting of the above green fleet plus a number of Austin Allegros, Vauxhall Cavaliers, Ford Cortinas, Elvis's motorbike and the Army Cadets minibus. Happy days :D
 
#38
diehard57 said:
6/7 Queens (a GS battalion), the Company frequently had more blokes report in (120+) on a Friday night than could be lifted in company transport which consisted of 1 x 3/4 Ton FFR, 2 x GS 3/4 Ton, 4 x 4 Ton TK and a Leyland Minibus - hence the Fred Karnos appearance of the convoy to the Key Point consisting of the above green fleet plus a number of Austin Allegros, Vauxhall Cavaliers, Ford Cortinas, Elvis's motorbike and the Army Cadets minibus. Happy days :D
We had the same in the late 80's on Ex Eastern Shield (with 3 WFR), several vans had to hired to move kit around. Not the most tactical of exercises. (and my accidental pointing a GPMG at a car behind and its crashing in to an hedge won't be mentioned)
 
#39
What was the role for the TA para battalions as Divisional Troops under 1st Armoured Div? Divisional reserve to be allocated to brigades as necessary?
 
#40
baboon6 said:
What was the role for the TA para battalions as Divisional Troops under 1st Armoured Div? Divisional reserve to be allocated to brigades as necessary?
Well, 15 PARA always seemed to be very well-informed on the subject of FIBUA...
 

Similar threads

Top