TA Inf for former Regular

Looking for some clarification here; a friend and I left the Army nearly two years ago in similar circumstances and are looking to join the TA.

He wants to join his local Battalion, having completed a tour (H10) as an OP Ack in the Arty (ended up doing the job of a MFC) like myself.

Will he still have to do the Phase Two equivalent? It seems fairly pointless for him to go up ITC when he can piss everything on the two week course. Would this be decided by the TAC on an individual basis or is there set procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Looking for some clarification here; a friend and I left the Army nearly two years ago in similar circumstances and are looking to join the TA.

He wants to join his local Battalion, having completed a tour (H10) as an OP Ack in the Arty (ended up doing the job of a MFC) like myself.

Will he still have to do the Phase Two equivalent? It seems fairly pointless for him to go up ITC when he can piss everything on the two week course. Would this be decided by the TAC on an individual basis or is there set procedure?

Thanks in advance.

All depends on Glasgow now bn/units did have a say if you needed cic or refresher now cenralised

Thanks in advance.
Probabably best to speak to the PSAO but I expect they would pull up service record, see H10 as well as regular service and the fact 2 years is seriously **** all time to have been out, and tick the box, I expect you may even be allowed to rejoin at your previous rank and grade :salut:

Probabkly best to speak to the PSAO but I expect they would pull up your service record, see H10 as well as regular service and the fact 2 years is seriously **** all time to have been out, and tick the box, I expect you may even be allowed to rejoin at your previous rank and grade :salut:
Nope. 2 years is the break point. Over 2 years and you start again. I don't know anyone who got past this rule.

Nope. 2 years is the break point. Over 2 years and you start again. I don't know anyone who got past this rule.
Ok, break point aside, would they have to do a refresher CIC but still be allowed at previous rank/grade? I don't expect a former full screw or a serjeant reg would like the idea of a refresher and being lampooned under a lance jank STAB :)

Best bet speak to the PSAO, while 2 years might be the break point, most TA units would welcome the experience and try to bend the rules where possible. Might have to do a refresher, afaik its more of a weekend affair than a whole two weeks of 'this is a barrel' etc.

Out of interest what area of the country are you guys looking in?

Best bet speak to the PSAO, while 2 years might be the break point, most TA units would welcome the experience and try to bend the rules where possible. Might have to do a refresher, afaik its more of a weekend affair than a whole two weeks of 'this is a barrel' etc.

Out of interest what area of the country are you guys looking in?
In the Notts/Derby Area, he's looking at F Coy, 4 Mercian. I've been making some enquires into the Int Corps but may just go Inf with him.

Well we both got out Dec '10. If its a case of doing two weeks at ITC then fine, the range time would be worth the **** about. If they are expecting experienced soldiers to do Phase 1 (looks like it takes a year in the TA!) they can ram it up their hoop.

Yeah... you won't be doing Phase1 again. Refresher would be 2 weeks at the most, I doubt even that to be honest. I had a friend from 4 Mercs that went over to 23 SAS in birmingham, if you're still fit you may as well give that a crack.

Yeah... you won't be doing Phase1 again. Refresher would be 2 weeks at the most, I doubt even that to be honest. I had a friend from 4 Mercs that went over to 23 SAS in birmingham, if you're still fit you may as well give that a crack.
Yeah I'm still in good shape, swim a mile before work most days, run a PFT in sub 9:30. However I did have knee surgery a couple of years back and know for a fact that I would not pass Endurance - I would not get off the area without arthritis in my knee as it has no cartilage. I am graduating in a year so may look at Commissioning options - have no idea how that would work though, or if getting in the TA now would hurt or help my chances!

In the Notts/Derby Area, he's looking at F Coy, 4 Mercian. I've been making some enquires into the Int Corps but may just go Inf with him.

Well we both got out Dec '10. If its a case of doing two weeks at ITC then fine, the range time would be worth the **** about. If they are expecting experienced soldiers to do Phase 1 (looks like it takes a year in the TA!) they can ram it up their hoop.
Um... Dec 2012 compared to Dec 2010... less than 2 years, I expect the PSAO will welcome you with open arms :dance:

Yeah, I said in my OP that it was nearly two years. Anyone know the opportunities within TA Inf Battalions? How difficult is it to get on AOSB? Any courses really worth pushing for?

I'm sure the PSAO can get on the phone and present a structured argument even if they did decide to say you had to do a refresher, its not like you'd have forgotton alot?

No I'm happy with everything, could probably do with some range time though.

Would that two year rule be up until I was attested, or from when I've rocked up at the Det? I've heard horror stories of AFB 203's taking up to six months which would put me pretty close to having to do more re-training I suppose.

No I'm happy with everything, could probably do with some range time though.

Would that two year rule be up until I was attested, or from when I've rocked up at the Det? I've heard horror stories of AFB 203's taking up to six months which would put me pretty close to having to do more re-training I suppose.
I'm sure you'll be fineeeeeeeee :kiss:

Unless you joined my old mob and knew the RSM and SPSI from when you used to be in before. In which case despite being out for over 8 years you get to rejoin without doing any phase 1 or 2 and get a tape up straight away. Weren't pally with those who are in command now then tough shit and do it all over.

Oh and this happened within the past couple of years.

I was OTC before I graduated and joined the TA as a gunner. Being a 'tom' in the TA before going for a commission is definitely the best choice and will stand you in good stead at the factory. Not to mention it will fast track the unenviable task of gaining the respect of your soldiers.
I'm not yet going for a commission (how on earth can I lead men if I am no fitter or skilled than them, pulling rank is juvenile), but I've helped out on the OTW a few times, its easy to spot the ex rankers, they're usually much better, slicker and generally bearable.