TA Inf and LMG and GPMG

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Zulu_Muster, Nov 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's the craic with deployed TA and the Minimi and the GPMG? I know they get a MG platoon but is the training open to others? And with Minimi being a UOR is there any chance of them getting the SAA training for it back at their Coy or will they have to deploy first and do it at RTMC?

2. Sometimes you just have to sit back and watch....
  3. Not sure I get ye there.

Great pic tho!
  4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The LMG is pretty much exclusive to operational units at the moment. You'll be familiarised with it on your pre-deployment training. To be honest it's not vastly different from the General.
  5. to follow up on what RP said, the minimi is very similar to the gpmg. THe best you will get is to train with the gpmg in light role in the uk with your unit. You should get access to the lmg on any pre deployment trg.
    If you are not in the MG pl you rarely, if ever, get to train with the gpmg. IMO that is wrong but thats the way it is.
  6. Like RP said, if your using the weapon you should get the WHT on it.

However saying that the first time our guys saw it in 2003 it was just handed to them and they were told to crack on :D.

They are around, try an get your SPSI to borrow some from a local unit.

Its basically a baby GPMG, treat it that way and you won't go too wrong.

Also read up on the manual it covers all the small differences
  7. msr

msr LE

Please don't - get a trained SAA Instructor to teach you correctly.

8. Yes sorry thats what I should have said :)
  9. Whats that Emperor Mong? You reckon it will be ok to just have a quick flick through the manual before I teach the blokes? Well I suppose whats the worst that can happen, cheers mate.

10. So who trains the SAA instructor ??? :)
  11. Got to say that 3PWRR at least HQ COY have got minimi's but I think that's just for Recce platoon.
  12. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Is that a wah? SAA instructors gain their qualification from the Small Arms Skill Corp's SAA wing at the Infantry Battle School (aka Brecon School for Boys).

There are different SAA courses:

a) The Section Commanders' Battle Course SAA, which is an integral part of the overall SCBC (aka "Junior Brecon" or "Juniors"). SCBC is a promotion course for Infantrymen LCPls to get their second stripe and it ain't nothing nice.

b) AASAA, a six week course that the other arms and services go on to become SAA instructors.

and lastly

c) AASAA (Short), an abbreviated two week course tailored specifically for TA and MPGS. It concentrates on the SA(K)90 qualification (coaching marksmanship) and instructing the rifle and LSW. However it is stipulated that a qualified SAA instructor can instruct on Small Arms that he is familiarised and WHT'ed on.

Hope this helps.
  13. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Sorry mate, my brain's just kicked into gear and I finally realise what you were asking!

In answer to that then; any other SAA instructor who is fammed on it.
  14. It was a WAH :)
  15. Our unit has GPMGs and LMGs floating around for everyone to get some
    predeployment training .Not sure who has overall ownership of the LMGs
    but the proper machine guns :D are the sf platoons but are lowned out to company locations .Could have fired them yesterday if they had turned up or well more fun for us .