TA in The Falkland Islands?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Bikini_Black, Jan 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Arrsers:

Is there any scope for TA sig's to potentially do a tour on the Falkland Islands.

I've asked a few people but I'm not really any the wiser.

Yes, I know it is horrendously cold/wet/dull etc etc but despite my better instincts, I would love to go there.

Cheers.

2. With the bad weather they get there? We've been un-able to get to training areas in the UK this weekend as we don't have the kit or ability to deal with a small amount of snow! No Chance.

3. msr

msr LE

Have you asked your PSI?

4. 170 (Infra Sp) Engr Gp have vacancies for signallers. And regularly go to FI.

5. The TA has a bunch of telephone engineers (81 sigs I think) who go out there to work periodically. If you are not a professional telecoms engineer it could be tricky to get in, but they are a bit flexible if you're a PTI or have some mil quals that are useful to them.

6. Well,

Not in such direct terms, but I did express a casual interest.

I'm just trying to figure out if it is a possibility, if anyone has done one as a TA signaller, and to get a bit of background info before I ask formally. PSI is new to post and I'm sure he's up to his tits at the moment, so I'd rather not waste his time on a wild goose chase if it can be avoided. I know that's his job and all, but there you go.

7. much appreciated, thank you.

8. Appreciated, thank you.

9. Try calling the RTMC @ Chilwell. They should know any dates available. I was attached to 34 Sigs, going back ten years.. they had lads go thru Chilwell to various theatre's

10. I went down there mid 90's and the RIC was a TA coy. (Staffords I think)

11. The London Regiment sent a Pl out (as part of a composite TA coy) as far back as 1995.

I expect that the task is one of those that will be picked up by units in the Adaptive force. So yes I would say there will be plenty of opportunity to get down there once (if) FR2020 is applied.

Hard work, but excellent training opportunity.

12. People don't get mobilised for this do they?!!!!

13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Hard work?

Good ranges, battlefield tours, staging on, some foot patrols and Olympic level alcoholism .

• Like Like x 2
  14. Reservists were serving on JCUFI in the Commcen as far back as '87. Teleprinter OPs or whatever they were called back then. I had a great time, job was far more interesting than the perm posting in the UK at the time and the Tri-Service setup always made the banter/drinking competitions interesting.

15. The Snail's your lass. She went down there a year or two back with K13EOD and worked on her suntan in the Clerk's Hut while K was blowing up Argie mines and things. I'll bet she would know how to get down there with the TA. ;-)