TA - How much time does it take up in reality?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by SwampPearl, Jan 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone, how much time does the TA take up in reality?
    They say on the adverts, make your spare time pay, but I don't have alot of 'spare time' nowadays, but I would like to be mostly active, going on training weekends and competing in the competition weekends etc. So what should I expect to give to the TA, time wise?
    Thanks for your reply's!

2. Have you thought of contacting your local TA Unit and asking them?
    Different Corps/Regiments may differ?

3. Two hours in the evening - once a week and the occasional weekend.

Unless it's raining, PT is on the programme or the football is on TV.

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

every non drill night you will be reading or watching chris ryan based things, soldier soldier and the paras searching for tips to make you seem ally and more knowledgable. when you aren't asking questions on here that is :)

95% of the TA you supply yourself. so you put in what you want to put in, some guys do the minimum others will be reading up on courses or doing extra running. what you get out of it is also up to you. some guys go there for a bit of fun and adventure, others seem determined to be cnuts. unfortunately they usually end up with stripes on their arms awarded by other cnuts.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ahh thanks guys :)

6. When you get to the unit, elite TA are known as 'Bounty Hunters'. You will meet a guy known as 'The PSAO' and ask him that you wish to become a 'Bounty Hunter' and can it be achieved with not a lot of your own time spare.

7. As much as you want it to relative to the unit's budget....

8. So not doing any real soldiering then?