TA, Hobby or Profession?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by gung_hobo, Sep 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Simple question.

Hobby has connotations of stamps. Profession has connotations of pensions.

Is it a hobby, a committed hobby, other, secondary profession, or profession?
  2. Depends what your reasons for joining are. Mine are to gain experience, where does that fit in?
  3. Being ex Reg and therefore being a pro STAB baiter, it guts me to point out that not too many hobbies get you spread accross several grid squares in a nice Burberry / grey / red/ burnt charcoaly colour.

The TA is a different animal today that it ever was in any of our (except CP's) living history.

I stopped baiting them the second they started dying with the rest of us.

4. Its the Army, regardless of terms of service.
  5. A profession being performed by a professional.

Hmm, for me it's a secondary career (possibly even third since being such a devoted lover as oneself.. ahem), with a verrry long term game plan - the original 30 year lance jack. In it for the fun, but also for the opportunities it provides. I guess for some it's a hobby, rock up at weekends just for the fun or to escape the office. Some are full time part timers, constantly mobilised or on FTRS or some such.
  6. I consider army service be it Full Time Regular or Part Time Reserve the same

It is neither a profession nor a hobby

Its a calling
  7. the only thing is,we have proper jobs beside the army as well :wink:
    In civvy street there are parttimers too, do we call them less civvies?

Like Winston Churchill said; to be a reservist,is to be twice a civvy...
  8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Having worked with a number of excellent STABs, (often but by no means exclusively ex-Regs,) and an even greater amount of utter fcuking nightmares who are an embarrassment to the regular army, I'm chuffed with the effort, enthusiasm and high standards that these TA blokes offer.

Those regular soldiers who put in a lacklustre or less than 100% effort know full well who they are and should be ashamed that the 'amateurs' outclass them.

This comment does not of course cover all the TA, just those of note. In general the Regs should be better at their jobs as the STABs only train in their 'free' time, but individuals being what they are...

Further to TA_sig's post I'm put in mind of something a Colonel well known to certain members said:

The idea of 'professionalism' in regular service may well come from the old recruiting ads, "Join the Professionals."
    (Which did not mean Bodie & Doyle)
  9. msr

msr LE

I think you'll find it's a cult:

A close-knit organisation with strict rules and requirements for membership

Dynamic leaders who exercise control and influence over members' lives

Numerous activities which take up significant amounts of time

Ritualistic activities, possibly including the wearing of special clothing

Training and other activities which may be physically and emotionally draining

Strong peer pressure in the group to achieve specific goals and obey the leader

Requirements to make sacrifices for the good of the group

Active recruiting efforts

Promises of rewards, and other benefits for complying with the demands of the group

Many cults teach their followers to be completely open and truthful within the group, while at the same time they are encouraged to be secretive and evasive when questioned by people outside of the group

Members are taught that outsiders wouldn't understand or that they would only make fun of the ideas and practices and requirements for living within the group.

10. MSR,

the cult thing goes for regular units just as much. Especially for units with special jobs, weird headgear or such things...

My old unit had a very strong 'us and the rest' attitude, even to other units in the brigade!

as for the question of this topic: When you're a reservist, you're in the Army. Thus it is a job, a fun job, but a serious commitment for which you get payed. If you do not see it as such, stay away!

11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

MSR is right - the TA met the Cult criteria every time (begging the question of what he was doing on a Mormonwbsite in th first place?).

For me, a paid Hobby, with the opportunity to play with guns and explosives, break vehicles (and get them fixed for free) and travel to exotic Countries that I would never otherwise visit (Such delightful places as Belize, Khazakhstan, Iraq, Belgium, etc).
  12. Regular Army View: It was a hobby, it's now a profession

TA View (over 5 years service); 'what happened to my hobby?'

TA View (under 5 years service): 'I thought this was a profession? - seems more like a hobby'
  13. :D good one msr and very close to the truth.Its a hobby or a 2nd job .The idea that its a 2nd career/ profesion seems ludricous to me .At the end of the day you cant rely on the Ta to provide a monthly pay cheque nor should you
    imho.Though it would be nice to get paid for the work you do regularly.
    And I think if your doing lots of tours maybe the regulars are for you .I class
    it as a hobby even though my oc says its a second proffesion.Ok getting sent off for telic makes it an extreme hobby .
    It is what it is for some it is a hobby some its a 2nd career/ proffesion/ job
    as long as they can do what is expected of them who cares how they see it?
  14. approach this like a hobby because it requires professional standards. We have a training obligation, we sign a contract, we get mobilised, we go on ops and some, a few, get injured or killed.

If we dont train or complete our obligation to the standards required we get sacked, if we want to get promoted we have to exceed our minimum obligation and standards.

How does that fit in with a hobby or even casual labour?

Whilst now the average Tom in a unit and almost all the SNCO's and officers treat us just like one of them, on mobilisation/FTRS, it seems the STAB/ARAB thing is alive and well in the minds and hearts of our most senior officers and decision makers, the result being no pension and a few other daft things which only serve to be devisive.

We are soldiers, professional ones and the only ones who dont know it are the senior ones who make decisions.

15. I like cult - well done MSR - can we get that into rebalancing?