TA grandma guides reservists in Basra

Great to see her serving. Just because we are over 50 does not make us useless when in fact there are many support jobs that we can do as well and generally better than kids in their 20's. Yes we cannot tab as fast or run as fast but I could still easily do many of the support jobs.

The days of having retirement at in early forties was they way to do it 100years ago when life expectancy and general health was poorer but does not make sense today and would help the general lack of recruits.

Look at all the retired blokes who are serving for all the security companies in Iraq. I bet you could fill a couple of battalions with them.

chocolate_frog said:
Seems like a good idea to me, wonder if an SO2 (Manning and) Augmentees could be developed on the same lines? :D
To a certain extent, the Manning part of the Manning & Reserves dealt with all individual reinforcements and not just reservists. I don't know about now but, as per msr's experience, all kind of reg/reserve folk of various ranks & services could rock up in theatre without anyone knowing strictly why. Getting them into a worthwhile job (and addressing the various J1 issues that result form being an attachment) was a thoroughly worthwhile role.

Stab Tiffy -

I used her opposite number in Afghanistan earlier this year to extend my tour there with 3 PARA and found his subject matter knowledge and expertise very useful and beneficial. Does that answer your question? Obviously, from reading the other posts, others have found her predecessors useful too and given the number of TA/Reservists serving in Operations it makes senses to have someone in the respective theatres who is able to deal with any/their unique or specific problems that may arise during their tour.

msr said:
Nothing to do with Terms and Conditions. Perhaps you would like to check via PM before shouting your mouth off and making yourself look like even more of a cock than usual.

As it happens the SO3 is now a BC in my regiment and he has some interesting stories to tell. Unlike you.
Was that a bite on an internet forum :roll:

Furry muff gents. I'm still not convinced that I'd call a 'reserves only' person in theatre, but we'll never know that unless I needed their help.

I assume that the post is well advertised to those that are deploying and how they can contact the person?

Even so, you've convinced me that it is a real job and it does add value. Although, as Dilfor says, hopefully there will be less of a requirement for it in the future.

StabTiffy2B said:
msr said:
Nothing to do with Terms and Conditions. Perhaps you would like to check via PM before shouting your mouth off and making yourself look like even more of a cock than usual.

As it happens the SO3 is now a BC in my regiment and he has some interesting stories to tell. Unlike you.
Was that a bite on an internet forum :roll:

Furry muff gents. I'm still not convinced that I'd call a 'reserves only' person in theatre, but we'll never know that unless I needed their help.

I assume that the post is well advertised to those that are deploying and how they can contact the person?

Even so, you've convinced me that it is a real job and it does add value. Although, as Dilfor says, hopefully there will be less of a requirement for it in the future.
As this post didnt exsist on my first tour it might have helped some of the stuff ups in maning in the unit i was with and the other tours I have done chillwell never mention or gave contact details for the theater SO2 reserves the only contact I had from this esteamed organisation was a snot-o-gram towards the end of my last tour about a handover to my replacement and my travel arangements this was 5 days before the end of my tour 10 days after my replacment had arrived in theater and 4 after the clerks in my unit had finalised my travel arangements so as late as the middle of 2007 they still hadnt got a clue what they were doing

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Blogg The Intelligence Cell 11
C Multinational HQ 37
msr Army Reserve 11