TA Girlfriends....

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Neil.Larsen, May 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I'm gonna be going down to the 266 Battery in bristol on tuesday, and the one problem that I'm getting is my girlfriend just cries at the mere mention of me joining the TA.

I was wandering if any of you guys here have girlfriends that opposed to you being in the TA and what you did to turn them around? I'm really in a pickle here because like I said, everytime I mention that I'm going down on tuesday it starts her off.

She knows that mobilization is voluntary atm but can be become compulsory at anytime.

Weird topic I know but I don't know anyone who can give me sound advice about the matter

Edit : and no I won't leave her lol
  2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

new girlfriend?
  3. lol ok I'll re-update original post

No I won't leave her lol
  4. Pop one in her arrse and tell her to man up!
  5. tell her you see her a damn site more then us reg boys and she has the free time to see her mates for a wine evening whilst your away!!

My g/f is always loving the juggle between us time and her mates seeing her!!
  6. heh aye mate thats what I've told her, I was going to be joining the regular army but I had to compromise really.

her real fear is deployment
  7. Why? They're not going to send her (yet) :twisted:
  8. Or............ you could just be a big girls blouse and not join the TA; you will of course regret it for the rest of your life, so I think it's safe to say......

Dump the Bitch!

9. So you've already given up one thing you wanted for her , now she wants you to give this up too. Buy her a dictionary and highlight the word compromise.
  10. Lol its not out of her having a thing about telling me what to do ( i hope), its genuine fear of me getting deployed and something bad happening.
  11. Yep thats the reason I have no intention of saying to her " ah you know what? screw that, I'll just play videogames or play airsoft and pretend I was something I'm not"

But I have every intent of staying with her, its damn frustrating
  12. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Thousands of soldiers, and specifically hundreds of TA soldiers deploy every year, and the vast, vast majority do come home ok. Your just as likely to be hit by a car.
  13. Yep, I've said to her that its rare that tours are 100% bullet filled movie-esque 24/7 and that I could die everyday in civvy street but ya know...

Shes 18 and doesn't really wanna except that. I've told her the statistics but she just dont wanna hear it, all I get it " i don't wanna hear statistics neil, there could be a bad day and that'd be it"
  14. Neil
    1)Do you want to join the TA more than you want to be kow-towing to her?

2)Does she want to be your honey, more than she wants to be the honey of a non-TA guy?

Answer: It is your call...at 18-19 years old please don't let a "girlfriend" dictate to you...
  15. Explain to her that firstly, she is a controlling cow and that you should be smashing her back doors in rather than debating your lifestyle choice with her.

Secondly explain to her, that if you joined the TA tomorrow, you realistically wouldnt be even allowed to go on tour for at least 18 months (by the time youve done your CMSR, trade training etc)
    Also explain to her the merrits of 'intelligent mobilisation'
    Then explain the benefits of being with you and your yearly TA income.
    Lastly, and im being quite serious, explain to her that you are young, have already made one sacrifice for her, and you are not prepared to make another. Simple isnt it :D