TA Fitness

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Jacko1981, Apr 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know... another thread about TA fitness

But coming from a guy who is training to be in the TA or RMR eventually I was intrigued on what you guys think should be the minimum fitness standards for enrty to the TA?

I've spoken to a few guys at different units and they all say - 1.5miles 14 minutes, which to be fair isn't hard.

I'm currently hitting 1.5 mile in 10:50, is this a more resonable pace for MINIMUM standards?

Other stats:

6 Pull ups
    55 press ups

So was wondering what you guys in the TA think should be the minimum standards?
  2. The minimum required standard for trained soldiers is 1.5 miles in 10.30 (male) and 50 sit ups (in 2 mins) and 44 pressups (2 mins again.)

You're strongly advised to be fitter than that though..
  3. Fair enough - i'm presuming this is the minimum standards for someone IN the regs and has passed-out of training and is a soldier?

So if you train for these standards you should be sorted?

However, do you think it is unreasonable to expect a TA entrant to be hitting these scores from the off?
  4. No. Those requirements are expected for all applicants to the Regulars or TA, Officer or Soldier (Male).

If you are planning on going infantry, you should be running a sub 9.30 PFT. If you rock up to TA weekend 1 with standards below that then you may be in for a shock. The standards are available on the internet and through AFCOs, thus you have had adequate warning.
  5. Standards are the same Army-wide (ie. TA and Regs.) You should be fine if you join with these standards. I don't for a minute think it's unreasonable for TA entrants to hit those levels, they're hardly arduous and don't require a huge amount of work to obtain.

After all, if you're not motivated enough to get fit, there's not much hope of making a good soldier out of you is there!
  6. To add to what Jungelism said, I would get your fitness levels considerably above the minimum if you're looking at RMR.
  7. I thought that for the TA the fitness standards varied with age. And they're not as high as the regs because of the time factor with training and having a full time job and access to gym facilities etc.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not making excuses! I agree that the fitter you are, the more productive a soldier you'll be. I just thought that the standards were slightly different for Territorial soldiers.
  8. msr

msr LE

You thought wrong.
  9. Then I apologise; I have been misled.
  10. For the record guys - I agree with you!!

I was under the impression that reg soldiers on entry need to run 1.5 miles in 12:30?? I may very well be incorrect but thats what I read on the net...

Anyways, having read other threads on about TA fitness I was just intrigued on what TA guys thought SHOULD be the minimum as it sounds like there are people who lack fitness... just observations really...

Yeah, RMR sounds slightly more brutal - 1.5 miles in 12:30 minutes out... 1.5 miles in 10:30 return...

Fortunately for me, I am highly motivated.
  11. For entry it's 14 minutes for 1.5 miles for non-infantry, infantry may be different. From what I have seen if you are only just scraping that as a bloke under 30 then you will struggle later on but it sounds like you do not have that problem.

If you are already running 10.50 then for TA you would have been above average fitness for recruits I have been with and if you are 30 or over you already meet the minimum trained soldier standard.

That is for blokes under 30, Jackos name suggests they may be 29 already and will probably be 30 by the time they finish phase 1.

The only difference is that TA do a 6 mile CFT in 1.5 hours and regulars do 8 miles in 2 hours.
  12. Thanks Fairygothmother. I'm starting TSC B in July and have been told that my CFT is 4 miles in an hour, but will be going up to 6 in 1.5 hours sometime in the near future. Is it for the MATTS that it goes more on age?
  13. At the risk of becoming a pedant, entrants to the TA build up their tabs (AFAIK) but to deploy, or be considered for deployment, you need to do the 8 miler like everone else in the army.
  14. We were told that before training. It's fair enough. I thought I'd have to do the 8 miler on my TSC A course, so the 2 miler was a pleasant surprise! 4 miles (or 6) on TSC B with 15kgs (I'm not infantry!).
  15. Stinking Hats, Get a ******* grip you should be disgusted with yourselves.