TA fitness. Cant run, but can complete CFT?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by gaz384, May 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know this is a time old question.

I am not built for running!. The best I can acheive is about 18 mins for a 1.5 run, and despite training I just cant get the time down, which I understand I need to do before I can apply.

In theory, this make me really unfit!

However I tried the the a run with bergen (15kg), which I completed 4miles in 1hr - without trouble, a full CFT 8m/2hr wouldnt be too much to acheive.

Am I fit enough to apply? or not? Do other have any experience?
  2. Do you definately have the 1.5 miles measured correctly? 18 mins equates to 5 mph, which is a fast walk, not even jogging.
  3. No - in practice this makes you really unfit, and frankly if you have been consistently working towards pushing your speed up and are still on 18 minutes then something is very wrong.

Unless you are 80 years old, 80 stone heavy or on 80 a day then you need to have a chat with a doctor. Load fitness is quite another thing.

Very few of us are really built for speed - that's why there is a baseline standard of the 1.5m run in a time comfortably 6 minutes quicker than you are managing.

So stop trying for now and go and see a quack.
  4. gaz, you can join, but you must get the 1.5 miles down to 13.30 before CMSR and then down to your age related time within 1 year.
  5. Technically this is a fail isn't it ?

However young Gaz I've seen far worse specimens of fat and gristle wobble through the TA centre gates, what regiment are you applying for ? Some don't even do a full 8 mile CFT ( yet )
  6. The writings say that these are what's required:

Here's the scores from the doors:

< 29 - less than 10 mins 30 secs 44 press ups 50 sit ups
    30 - 34 - less than 11 mins 41 press ups 46 sit ups
    35 - 39 - less than 11 mins 30 secs 39 press ups 43 sit ups
    40 - 44 - less than 12 mins 35 press ups 37 sit ups
    45 - 49 - less than 12 mins 30 secs 29 press ups 34 sit ups
    50 - 54 - less than 13 mins 30 secs 25 press ups 32 sit ups

I have no chance with these at the moment, just hope I can get me butt into gear before I need to,

7. msr

msr LE

How did you measure your 1.5 mile run and how flat is it?

8. What kind of training have you been doing to try and get your time down?

I agree with all those who said if you're struggling that badly maybe you should go see a Doc - it doesnt seem too good if you're struggling that badly with it.
  9. your cft and 1.5 speeds are virtually indentical, are u sure you have measurements correct?
  10. 18 minutes? You're not away climbing Everest at present and are timing yourself up that are you?
  11. 8 miles is also quite different to 4 miles.

For running just try half a mile at the right pace and then build up your distance from there running the correct speed. If you're that slow you probably need to lose some weight (even if it's muscle mass) so don't try protein loading or anything
  12. Are you running backwards wearing flippers and a pencil skirt? Seriously mate, thats not good, check your pulse, are you sure you still have one?
  13. You need to run and run some more, 18 mis is far far too slow. Keep trying and good luck.
  14. Try doing the 1.5mile run wearing bergen (15kg) and boots. It sounds as though you'll probably achieve this in less than 13:30. Then your only problem will be gradually reducing the weight and switching to trainers to look like the rest of us. :lol:

Seriously, the solution is to take longer strides when running. Measure your stride when doing the CFT training and aim for at least 70% of that when running. Your description suggests that you are jogging, rather than running.
  15. Have you thought about joining a gym the staff should be able to come up with a programe to suit your needs