TA Fit

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Shaolin_Monk, Dec 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I have been considering joining the TA and would like a rough idea of the sort of fitness that is required.

Nowhere seems to give me even a rough idea, anyone shed some light on what is required?

Cheers in advance.
  2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

From the wiki. Mostly written by that jug-eared fucktard StabTiffy2B but don't let that put you off.
  3. Or from MATT 2.

TA have a 6 mile CFT.

Risk Reduction Run is 1.5 miles in 14 minutes. If you can't do that, you can't start training.

After that, standards are age dependant.
  4. Thanks for the reply folks, it has put my mind at ease. :thumleft:

I am not in the best shape (unless round is a shape) but those standards are easily achievable.

Now, to find my local unit and get training hard :rambo:
  5. where are you from Shao ?
  6. Just outside Cambridge mate.
  7. done the works this year...

make sure you can as said run jog crawl moonwalk 1.5mile in 14 mins

40+ situps and pressups carry weight for 6 miles and like being gassed

i can do it you can do it!!!

this time last year i was a fat couch potatoe who couldn't even run 300m with out stopping and needing an iron lung,just get out there and work it up slowly and don't expect miracles.

most of all enjoy it and get you head down......effort is rewarded
  8. Mega, congrats. What type of unit you?

To be honest I was expecting phys to be much harder, I'm happy at that...
  9. What about swimming? I am a non-swimmer, can I still apply for Inf?

10. signals mate....im also 33 and was surprised how bad some of the younger guys were

as i said...if i can anyone can just make sure you get out running 2 time a week at least and do ya press ups and sit ups

forgot to mention press ups and sit ups in two minutes

if you struggle with the press ups do em on the stairs ...you can bang out more and longer to build you up.

if ya need more info PM me.

11. These are the miniumum standards. You won't be penalised for being faster or fitter, but not giving 100% will attract notice, and not in a good way.

The fitter you are, the easier basic trg is (phases 1a-1c and onwards) as you spend less time breathing out of your arse, enabling you to concentrate on lessons and suchlike.

As to the swimming, you should learn to at least do the breast stroke. Being a non-swimmer might not keep you out of the TA, but even a weak swimmer is better off than someone who drowns in the first few seconds.

Get down to the baths and get a few lessons, would be my advice.
  12. I have lessons booked in the New Year. I was just concerned that it would rule me out for Infantry, would be unable to do river crossings etc.

Cheers for the advice mate, you've all been diamonds.

Merry Crimbo :santa:
  13. Hey i was just wondering, how strict are they at RSWs on situps & pressups?

initially the guys at my local ta said the selection weekend is on the 19th so i thought cool plent of time to get my strenght and fitness up! but then i got a call and it actually turns out its this weekend not next :eek:
    thats a week less training and preparing than i had anticipated.

i can just about do 28 pressups will that fail me if you know?

if i had that extra week i wouldve easily been able to get it up to 30+

so im a bit worried now. LOL

thanks for any replies asap :p
  14. And I thought you liked me.