TA far less professional?

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by kentuk20, Jun 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, I have now officially applied to the TA and will hopefully be starting my training soon.
    I spoke to an ex sgt in queens div regs and he claims the TA are 'Undertrained cannonfodder' simply there to distract the enemy from the regs.
    I know the TA probably aren't trained to the same standard as the Regs, and he is probably just being arrogant because he was in the regs and considers himself above the TA, but is this the general attitude of the Regs towards TA, and is there ANY truth in it at all?

Cheers

2. Surely that's not the best you've got...

3. Depends on the bod and the amount/quality of training they've had. There's an awful lot of useless w@nkers in the reular army even after all their full time training!

4. jim i was gonna put on the end, this is honestly not a windup, lol..check my post history.

Just curious as to whether it's actually the general opinion of the regs..Also, with only 7 weeks training + 2 Weeks at ITCC, how do they prepare soldiers to tours and get them up to the standards of the regs?

5. By beasting their arrses to fcuk 'full time' before deployment!

6. It rather depends on how "ex" this Sgt is.

Harping back to the era of the Cold War, that, more or less, was the perceived plan.

Soviet forces build up on the border, the TA are mobilised and sent immediately to their wartime locations. At the same time, many of the Regulars in Germany would be re-grouped in UK and reinforced with elements from elsewhere before being sent back to Germany.

You have to bear in mind that the Regulars in Germany would not have been at full strength due to courses, leave and attachment elsewhere, whereas the TA could be on a flight to Germany within 24 hours. (No OPTAG in those days).

The idea at the time was that if the Soviet forces could be delayed sufficiently that the journey to the Channel would take more than three days, both sides would have expended most of their conventional ammunition. This would lead to a nuclear stand-off and the hope that common sense would prevail.

Obviously, considering the massive forces that the Soviet Army would have sent across, there would have been little hope of survival for the troops at the front - hence the impression that the TA were cannon fodder (allowing our Regular counterparts to save the day, much like the US 5th Cavalry in films).

Refer to The Third World War by General Sir John Hackett

7. ive done a ftrs with a reg infantry battlion and theres alot of cannon fodder in there as well

8. are you seriously writing this?

9. Yes - and it was exercised during Ex Spearpoint in 1976, though we managed to hold back the invading forces so well that it took them 2 weeks to reach Paderborn. :) Ex Crusader in 1980 was fairly similar.

10. "The TA could be on a flight within 24 hours"!?!??!? whereas the guys on leave, courses etc who knew what they were doing would be impossible to track down :)

11. TA: Aside from a few blokes who would have been on holiday, everybody else could have been dragged from work, issued webbing and ready to leave the TAC within about 4 hours. The hold-ups would have been arranging flights - civvy airports would have been commandeered, so the nearest to the TAC would be used.

Regular: Although many units were present in Germany as part of the NATO commitment, quite a number of people would have been missing - a battalion may have sent an entire Coy to BATUS, for instance. Further personnel would be needed to shepherd dependents out of the country.

It would take longer to fill the holes in the Regular units than it would to deploy complete TA units. IIRC, much of the more modern kit (for which the Regulars were trained, but the TA wasn't) was held in UK/Holland rather than in Germany to lessen the possibility of it being overrun before being deployed.

I also resent your inference that the Regulars knew what they were doing, but the TA didn't. The TA trained solely to fight on the North German Plain and would have been overrun with just as much difficulty as the Regulars. (Had they been called on to fight in Norway, the jungle or the desert, now that would have been a different story).

12. ah well. it's your prerogative to resent what i say. but it's my implication, your inference.

13. The general survivability bit is probably true but not any insinuation that the TA were not trained - for their limited role. We knew our deployment area every bit as well as the Regs - we spent two weeks every other year dug into the place. We also spent far longer in the one role. Not uncommon to find guys in Mortar/Milan who had 15 years experience in the same platoon. OK, we were not as capable as the Regulars but we were still pretty good at our job - and still had time for a good pssi up.

14. Yep. Lionheart in '84 doing Orange Forces. Heliborne assaults on river crossings. One position we took the umpire timed it as 1 min 15 seconds from hearing the helis to last position taken. My Pln had three trenches to take out. All three were facing the wrong way, not one was capable of engaging us as we assaulted through some scrubby trees, no depth, no interlocking arcs. Unhappy regular inf, bested by 2 Shock Wessex.

( OK, we rather spoilt it a few hours later by shooting up the lead vehicles of the advancing friendly forces but .....)

15. Not just there - see "2/51 HIGHLAND take on the 101st Airborne" on the same exercise. The Americans flew all the way from CONUS to drop onto a DZ covered by a TA inf Bn, who promptly reacted to the, errr, target-rich environment.