TA FAC information please

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by oldcolt, Jul 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've done a search but have found little about this course on Arrse and have recently been told that a) I am OK to do Officer selection and b) I might have to transfer out of my current Regt. to do so.

I have spoken with a customer of mine (a commander in the RN) who has suggested that FAC might well be an option for my skills and fitness levels (V. Fit - 9.24 2.4KM run time and about to undertake AACC course in New Year).

I am aware that the FAC course is 8 weeks long (which isn't a problem for me) and that there is a shortage of these bods at present. I am aware of the very basics of what a FAC does but would like some more info on what the job and the course entails. Thanks

2. Why not phone JFACTSU - sure they'll point you in the right direction.

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Have you completed CMSR yet? If not, perhaps focussing on CMSR and then the delightful process of obtaining a commission in the TA might be more appropriate at the moment?

PS 9.24 is not v fit. It is standard fit

4. Thanks Duke and Tatty
    I have put a call in to my nearest FAC signals outfit and am awaiting a call back but also wanted some info from 'the boys on the ground' as well.

No I haven't done CMSR yet but I have been told by my OC to investigate this and another couple of options such as MI and Commando Engineers; (stand by for other posts)

9mins 24 secs for 2.4KM not fit? The official Army BFT/ RRT time chart would suggest otherwise (or are you just trying to wah me? :roll: :wink: )

5. The Duke is 4 Para; they have a different defination of "very fit" to mere mortals like ourselves! :D

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

7. msr

msr LE

PM Forniup

8. 8. 30 is what I would consider borderline "v. fit".

9.30 is merely "fit".

6 miles every morning will help you to achieve this.

Following a strict regime of....

Mon. Run 6 miles
    Tue. Fartlek 6 miles
    Wed. Run 6 miles
    Thurs. Fartlek 6 miles.
    Fri. Loaded 6 miles (15Kg)

Every mon Wed and Fri 1 1/2 hours in the gym wearing a swetzvest is for winners.

10. Chocolate frog. the majority opinion seems to be weighing against my ego and I accept that I am not 'very fit' but let me console myself with above average fitness for a young man and well above average for a 42 year old (please?! :cry: )

I like the regime you suggest but the body needs rest days to recover and grow and results are achieved more quickly this way without the danger of burnout/ over training.

My personal cardio programme is for a 6/ 7 mile hilly run on Mondays, 45 mins interval training on Wednesdays and a weighted march/ run on Fridays or Saturdays on a challenging coastal path.

MSR. thanks for the suggestion, will do. :)

11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You are making the basic error of comparing yourself to the minimum standards of assesment for initial entry, rather than the standards required to pass the course. It is your fitness level, call it what you like....but I would advise against referring to yourself as "v fit" to the staff if you arrive at Lympstone with a 9.24 BFT time. :wink:

The walk before run comment referred to your looking at a course which needs rank to attend whilst you are still a recruit. You now need to pass CMSR, pass AOSB, pass MODs 2 - 5 of the TA commissioning process before you can consider being booked on the FAC course as a TA officer. Alternatively, pass CIC, obtain (or regain) the rank of Cpl (IIRC) before being booked on the FAC course.

The common element is that you need to be a trained soldier first!

12. Can I suggest you call TA FAC Tp..Trust me this that is the best option.
    Even though there is some good general info on arrse its hard to find and even harder to determione if it's correct, especially about FAC roles/info etc.

The staff at the unit are very helpful and can give you what you need heads up wise..

13. Awaiting a call back from them but would still apreciate anyone who has done/ is doing this so that I can see if it an option I may wish to pursue. :)

14. Check PM's

But TBH The Duke is correct. Min Rank of Cpl. As an officer you would be expected to have some experiance so fresh from the factory is no good either.
    If you have asperations to do this course. Get some experiance or transfer over if a soldier. Do keep those asperations though. It's the best job in the Army.

15. Forniup is right...however in the meantime I am sure you will get a call from the OC and all can be clarified. That was my experience.