TA dress standards

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by long_tall_frenchie, Apr 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, this isn't meant to be a bit of Reserve bashing by a cynical regular, but we'll see how it comes out.

I'm on leave in London and this morning on the tube I came across a guy in MTP trousers, scuffed boots combat high, a green issue fleece and headphones. No head dress. He turned out to be a TA and when I asked him if he thought his dress was appropriate for being out in public he asked who I was (regs Lt) and totally chinned me off to my face: "with respect sir you don't know the circumstances before making accusations (ie that he was in shit order), go sit back down". Anyway, am I being unreasonable thinking this is unacceptable, or am I a hidebound regs twat totally out of touch who should be respectfully (barely!) chinned off? I know what would happen to me if I were caught looking like that (and officers are meant to be scruffy). I considered asking for his name and unit and shopping him to the badge, but in the end decided not too. When I got off, he hadn't even put away his headphones. 'Circumstances' my arrse.

2. Perhaps he was disguised as a Polish builder?

Being (unusually) serious for a moment, you should have demanded to see his MOD90 and reported him! There's no excuse for being a scruffy cnut.

Having said that, I saw a Brigadier on the tube recently and his boots could have done with a polish.

3. Maybe he was travellling back to an exercise after being called away suddenly for a family funeral.

4. Not good - mind you I had to have a 'word' with a Reg WO1 and an RM Sgt last year about dress standards and compliments. The WO1 told me to mind my own business (I was in uniform at the time), so I pointed out to him that he and his oppo had just nonchalantly strolled past without acknowledging three officers who out ranked me i.e. two Lt Cols and a Col. Very, very poor. BTW, you should have taken the blokes name and number. If you where uniform in public, you where uniform, not some rag order outfit...

5. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

You should have found your back bone and followed through with whatever reason you had to challenge him about his dress.

It can't have been a shock that a member of the TA was turned out like a kit bag full of trifle, you should have had him doing kneeling gun drills to his next stop then pokied him all the way to Wellington barracks gaurdroom.

When I say pokied him, I mean shout as loud as your Rupert voice would allow.

• Like Like x 2
  6. msr

msr LE

All items easily available from your local surplus shop... Perhaps you should get out a bit more.

7. Was he wearing any trf or name badge etc ? If not he may be "one of them" and watching you right now.....

8. Someone has been reading "walting with confidence", us STABs do not run exercises across Easter Weekend so I would be interested where he was travelling to/from.

9. Lt Frenchkiss has a valid point however. I shall be addressing my underlings ( there's not many of them ) on the standards expected whilst wearing uniform outside of the wire.

10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You're a bell end, simple as. Why bother creating a confrontational situation in a public place? Just ignore the bloke if he's bothering you. As mentioned above most people probably assumed he was a Polski builder.

I got pulled up in a service station car park some years back by a man in civvies claiming to be an Army Major because I nipped in for a piss without putting my cap on.

"Don't the RN wear head dress in public anymore?"

My reply of "whatever mate" got him a little flustered and demands for ID cards where made. I just told him to leave me alone and that was that. It's not like he was going to wrestle me to the ground to get my ID card out of my pocket.

I would've chinned you off as well.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

What if he was listening to funeral music and practicing his slow march?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Or his circumstances may have been that he was not actually signed in and therefore for the purposes of his journey a civvie. However if you are going to wear issue kit in Public for non TA activity you should expect grief if you look in rag order.

Aside from that when challenged he should have had the confidence and courtesy to fully explain his "circumstances" to you unless he was trying to suggest he was one of "them".....

13. This is one of those tricky situations. I think looking chippy, especially in public is not on - the individual is affecting the corporate image of the British Army, but, is it right to start pulling people up and busting out the MOD 90 like you're the Uniform Police?

I think guidance on how to behave in public should be included in MATT training.

14. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

This could be the start of a wonderful new sport, walking around in public places with a ketchup stained un-ironed uniform and trainers.

When picked up you get points for the best "**** off you cock, I bought this gear off eBay and I'm just off to a plastering job."

• Like Like x 4