TA Deployment

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by taffcraven, Jun 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question does anyone know roughly what the percentage of the TA have been deployed on active service to date?

Are they still calling back Ex-regulars reservists to deploy or are they using the TA instead?

2. Any particular reason for wanting to know?

3. I don't know the exact percentage but approx half of the deployable TA i.e. those trained/competant enough have been mobilised in past 2.5 years (according to newspaper article I was reading today).

TA are reserve of choice, so ex reg reserves should only be called up when the TA assets are not available.

4. Just out of interest really, It just seems that every TA soldier who contributes to this site or when you speak to a TA they have been to the Iraq, swinging the lantern and pulling up sandbags, so is that about right that 90% + have been deployed? or are there quite a few Walt TA's trying to large themselves up a bit, living off stories from other returning?

5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Let me try and exaimne these figures. OF course the deployment rate is nothing like 90%, but of course you are assuming that the TA who frequent this site are an 'average' cut of that group - and it isn't so. Here you will tend to find those who have a) regular internet access and b) a bit more interest than many. To infer that 90% of the TA has ben dedploye from reading posts on Arrse is therefore fallacious. I hope this sets your troubled mind at rest.

Of course, it could be that you are just attempting to abuse the TA as a load of Walts who should join the'real' army or quit. In which case, f*ck off.

6. :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. I think about 11,000 have been mobilised so far

8. I read in the daily mail (in the past 7 days, don’t remember when) that there are 25,000 members of the TA who are trained enough to be deployed. I don’t know how many people there are in the TA in total, but if someone knows then we could work out the percentage of deployable members from there.

I’m still being trained so I haven’t been anywhere yet but almost everyone in my company has been out to Iraq, and I think that applies for our battalion as well.
    The only people in my company who haven’t been to Iraq are those needed to keep the company running and the few recruits that we have.

There are rumours floating around that next year my company is going to either be called back to Iraq or be called up to Afghanistan, but a rumour is just a rumour until it happens.

My senior NCOs also have done a lot of tours of duty between them to countries other than Iraq. I’m lucky to be serving with a very experienced and professional bunch.

9. I Think that you'll find that a large percentage of TA Personnel are Ex-Regular, who have done tours during their regular service as well as their TA service.
    So my query is this, are you upset that the TA have better stories to tell than " I spent six months filling sandbags and doing CIMIC tasks".

Or are you just an ARAB WALT????

10. LOL Methinks the lady doth protest too much :wink:

I was only asking so that i could find out if we should take this new invigorated TA that has gained a reasonable reputation these days, been brought about by a small portion of the TA or are they all worthy these days? Have you got rid of all the old knackers from the drinking club days or are they still there in the background

11. The drinking club goons are still about, but they’re either a couple of years away from retirement or young and just plain useless (leaving the rest of us to wonder why they’re even allowed to stay).
    There ranks are thinning though, thankfully!!

12. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Their ranks are indeed thinning - but then so are all the other ranks too!

As to ex-regular, certainly in the TA Units I have served with or in - and that's a few - I have never had more than 10 - 15% of ex-regulars. And these are of course of all sorts. In an Infantry Unit, you may get ex-RAF, or RSigs, or Sappers. In my current Company we have ex-RAF (did 2 years) ex-Inf, ex-RM Cdo, but no-one ex-reg from the corps we are in now! This is down south, which may make a difference. Frankly, it doesn't seem to matter much really.

13. I think it depends on the unit.

For instance some TA med units only delpoyed Doc's and Nurses leaving their CMT's behind. About 20% of their strength. (This is only what I have been told at one Med unit, other units might vary considerably.)

My unit (I am attached to the REME) seemed to deploy about 80% of those deployable, others served in Afganistan, Balkans, or here in the UK as Mobilised Reservists or on FTRS. I know several people on third or fourth tours.

Two local infantry units to me deployed about 20-25% of their men, for Iraq or Afganistan.

I know some medics with 21 and another with 23, they said nearly 100% of TRAINED DEPLOYABLE soldiers in those units were deployed at different times to Iraq or Afganistan.

RMR and RNR have deployed about 80% of those deployable and fully trained, But with the RMR only about 35% are fully trained, the rest are under training, or already serving on FTRS (FC) so they wouldn't be included in the figures.

A Yeomanry unit near me has only recently deployed people in large numbers, prior to last year only about 10% had gone.

So it depends on which unit you are in, what trade you are and what class in that trade you have reached.

Many were mobbed but served in the UK, at US Air Bases, Military Ports etc and might have deployed to Afganistan or Iraq for short periods. Quite a few were mobbed but turned away because of Medical, Welfare or Work issues, an unbelievable number of employers appealed against their TA members mobilisation.

I think the percentage of Trained and Deployable reservists who have served in Iraq, Afganistan, Balkans as Mobbed Reservists or done FTRS (FC) must be around 65-75%. More if you include FTRS LC and HC But that is just a guess.

James

14. A yeomanry regiment I know of has had greater than 100% deployed on Telic (people have been twice or stayed on for more lovely Eye-rack goodness).

On the drinking club brigade: they are still around, patting their tummies, but we love them anyway.