TA deployment to cover UN commitment to Cyprus

I was half listening to BFBS earlier and I'm sure they said in their news bulletin that a TA composite organisation was being sent to Cyprus to cover the UN tour obligation there (or part of it, at least.)

Assuming 1) I didn't hear it wrong and 2) BFBS didn't get it wrong (unlikely), does anybody know anything? It seems an odd use for the Reserve...

Yep, you heard correctly.

Official reason is to free up more regular troops for other commitments.

i.e. take one of the only 'sunshine' tours left and leave us with all the sh!tho@e tours.

TELIC-HERRICK-TELIC-HERRICK-TELIC-SIGN OFF IN THE HUNDREDS!!!!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Hmm, not sure how that would go down at the office. Usually, we get sympathy when mobilised. I cant see bosses being happy for their staff to disappear for 6 months or so to cyprus...

WhiteHorse don't bother, the Territorial Army is a waste of space full of civi wombats playing at soldiers who know next to nothing about real soldiering who are more likely to get themselves killed, we laugh at them because they're pathetic.

Here's a solution to the TA though:

a) STOP paying the Territorial Army members a bounty because that's all they are there for.

b) DON'T allow the Territorial Army to use the names and cap badges of regular regiments.

c) DON'T give the Territorial Army members the same uniform, make them wear plain green overalls.

d) DON'T waste resources on the Territorial Army when us regs can make better use of them.

e) DON'T allow their dopey half trained officers loose near us, we never salute the idiots anyway.

f) DON'T give Territorial Army guns and ammo, it's a waste and they're a danger to themselves and everyone around them.

g) DON'T use the Territorial Army for any important duties, they will only **** it up, use them to do jobs like fetching, carrying, cleaning and building.

h) DO drop the one army shite, it don't wash and can't work and the Territorial Army is a bad joke.

i) DO keep the Territorial Army out of our way.

There you have it in black on white what most of us regulars think of the bloody TA.

Butcher said:
WhiteHorse don't bother, the Territorial Army is a waste of space full of civi wombats playing at soldiers who know next to nothing about real soldiering who are more likely to get themselves killed, we laugh at them because they're pathetic.

a) STOP paying the Territorial Army members a bounty because that's all they are there for.

b) DON'T allow the Territorial Army to use the names and cap badges of regular regiments.

c) DON'T give the Territorial Army members the same uniform, make them wear plain green overalls.

d) DON'T waste resources on the Territorial Army when us regs can make better use of them.

e) DON'T allow their dopey half trained officers loose near us, we never salute the idiots anyway.

f) DON'T give Territorial Army guns and ammo, it's a waste and they're a danger to themselves and everyone around them.

g) DON'T use the Territorial Army for any important duties, they will only * it up, use them to do jobs like fetching, carrying, cleaning and building.

h) DO drop the one army shite, it don't wash and can't work and the Territorial Army is a bad joke.

There you have it in black on white what most of us regulars think of the bloody TA.
Ooooooohhh! 8O

The UNFICYP tour was the dullest piece of shite tour I did out of my four trips abroad. Those people who have stagged on in Nicosia will know that it is not a pleasant tour.

Fair enough, people are not out to kill you (well, no more than in the UK) and you do manage to swan down to Nipple Beach once a month or so. Apart from that there is the constant sniping from the UN HQ cúnts who, almost to a man, hate the British and hate anyone in uniform. They continually pour shite and bullshit down upon the Brit contingent.

So while physically easy and not dangerous, it is a fúcking boring way of spending 6 months of your life. The only good thing was that you could get excellent but cheap bespoke suits and shirts made.

BTW "Butcher", who the fúck gave a cúnt like you permission to speak on my behalf or for the other 97,000 other soldiers out there?

There are many threads on here about the ARAB/STAB debate, but it is clear that you are just a trolling mong who is trying to get an O2 badge. Now go and play with your balloon or you won't get any icecream.

Butcher said:

g) DON'T use the Territorial Army for any important duties, they will only * it up, use them to do jobs like fetching, carrying, cleaning and building.

Was going to submit a rational post to counter this stereotyped point of view

However Dread summed it up far better than I could

Butcher said:

I trust you are being sarcastic - if not you are sadly lacking in intelligence, awareness and professionalism. Sort yourself out sonny. You let yourself down. Members of the TA have made the ultimate sacrifice just as regulars have done and they deserves more respect. Without them we would never get a break from ops ......you knob.

Edited for monglish

Butcher said:

A) Bounty hunters are a fast dying breed

B) Thats quite ok. Im happy with mine.

Oh yeah, you're a cunt.

Where do I sign?

Butcher said:

Sounds like someone from the TA took your bird off you...

msr

Dzerzhinskiey said:
Wasn't there a Plt of TA para reg on 16AAB Herrick deployment doing the business?

Edited to add and Iraq and anywhere else the army have been in recent years.
Yeh, about another 10,000 in Iraq. At its peak 20% of the guys out there were TA.

msr

Butcher said:

Your wife / girl friend is obviously getting some TA c**k or is it your mother 8)

21 years ago, when Reagan bombed Tripoli, I was in Dhekelia with 2RRF: half the Battalion in UNFICYP, the other half on 'jollies' 5 miles up the coast from Ayia Napa. It was eatdrinkfuckskydive 24/7 - and they paid us to do it.

A generation on, 2RRF are based in the same place, as the UK Theatre reserve, deploying companies to reinforce units on roulement in Iraq and Afghanistan. I could find you other threads that would tell you Fusiliers spent more time in contact with Taliban last year than the Paras.

Read this, from the most recent Fusiliers newsletter, and then tell me you're still surprised they want TA to hold the UN line:
2RRF
On Good Friday, A Company returned from training with the Jordanian Armed Forces and is now back in Cyprus. Although it might have been a frustrating experience for the OC and for A Company Headquarters it was also a very rewarding and was generally regarded as a most worthwhile task.

B Company Headquarters is back in Cyprus and engaged on routine Ops 1 Tasking again so there is no rest for the wicked! Maj AH is also putting a team from B Company into the Cyprus Skill at Arms week.

C Company with Maj JT, and Capt AM remain in Sangin. It is understood that they have had 79 contacts in 17 days so the tempo of operations remains pretty constant for them. The Adjutant reports that they had a re-supply not only of ammunition but also mail and food, which was much appreciated. S/Sgt Matthews (REME Detachment) is indebted to his body armour, which effectively saved him from serious injury when he was hit by shrapnel at the beginning of the month. He was “a little shaken” but is otherwise fine. All members of the Battalion will be heartened to hear that Sgt Gibbons is making a steady recovery in Selly Oak Hospital where he has regular visitors and he is already in a wheelchair and talking in terms of returning to Cyprus to convalesce at the end of this month. That said, he is well aware that full recovery will take many weeks and he may yet require further operations on his legs.

(Members of the 1st Battalion and 2nd Battalions will be interested to know that L/Cpl D and Fus F were this week in Spain attending the Chelsea –v-Valencia Match).

Fire Support Company continue with patrols in Kabul and are doing some good CIMIC work there also. There have been a number of significant suicide attacks in the capital too, fortunately not directed at the Fusiliers but the threat to Maj GB’s soldiers is still very real. The temperature has risen and is consistently above 25 degrees centigrade. The good news of this is that it is now almost impossible for the OC to bog in his vehicle!

The Battalion 2IC, Maj D McS is currently in Kabul. He made the point that there has been such a comprehensive rotation of Fusiliers from Cyprus that although the Company Headquarters team might relate to C Company for example there may be some 60 members of Fire Support Company also deployed with Maj Taylor. He took the opportunity to bring to the attention of the Regimental Secretary the tragic loss of 6 soldiers of H Company 2RCR on Easter Day when their LAV was blown up by three land mines stacked one on top of each other. The condolences of all Fusiliers has been passed to the Regimental Secretary of The Royal Canadian Regiment whose alliance to the Fusiliers goes back to 1927 when the Canadian Fusiliers were first allied to The Royal Fusiliers. These soldiers from 2RCR were involved in an operation which also involved the Fusiliers.

Although nothing is certain, 2nd Fusiliers hope to be all back in Cyprus by mid May.