TA deployment timescale

Hi, during my new recruit briefing at my TA unit, the guy taking it was going over everything we needed to know.

A point he kept repeating but in little detail was mobilisation to afghanistan, he said that the 10 of us in front of him albeit if we make it through selection, training and become TA soldiers by next June, we would be expected to go on tour to afghan with training for it beginning in September and if we weren't comfortable with that we should leave.

My question is from september, what will be involved, how long us the pre deployment training, where does it take place, then how long is the tour and what happens on return?

Hopefully someone who has been there and done it can open my eyes to the duration of the above.

Cheers

I'm not worried about tours, but it's a question my wife is asking me, as I initially thought a tour was 6 months, but from reading some posts on here about longer ones and training before etc. I would rather know as much as there is to know even at this early stage

I'm not worried about tours, but it's a question my wife is asking me, as I initially thought a tour was 6 months, but from reading some posts on here about longer ones and training before etc. I would rather know as much as there is to know even at this early stage
It's pretty much a 12 month commitment. Plus a year or so DIE training. So start thinking priorities if your other half is going on about it.

If you go on tour you will be mobilised for around 12 months, this will include pre-deployment training, the tour itself, approx 6 months, give or take a week or two either way, and then post tour leave (POTL).

Straight out of basic into Afghanistan ? Didn't realise the sausage machine was that good these days, tell me was the bloke telling you this a big fat shiny headed stab ?

B

Biscuits_AB

Hi, during my new recruit briefing at my TA unit, the guy taking it was going over everything we needed to know.

A point he kept repeating but in little detail was mobilisation to afghanistan, he said that the 10 of us in front of him albeit if we make it through selection, training and become TA soldiers by next June, we would be expected to go on tour to afghan with training for it beginning in September and if we weren't comfortable with that we should leave.

My question is from september, what will be involved, how long us the pre deployment training, where does it take place, then how long is the tour and what happens on return?

Hopefully someone who has been there and done it can open my eyes to the duration of the above.

Cheers
You need to direct any questions about TA Deployments to Bravo Bravo. He's never actually deployed, but he has watched most of his unit get on the plane. If you need to know anything about stores/MT/rear party duties...he's your man.

Cheers fellas, the guy giving the talk was basically saying that the dates he was given would mean the next group to deploy would do their training in September, does it sound like he is bullshitting or is that maybe the ways things are, it's infantry by the way so maybe thats why it's so soon after basic?

You need to direct any questions about TA Deployments to Bravo Bravo. He's never actually deployed, but he has watched most of his unit get on the plane. If you need to know anything about stores/MT/rear party duties...he's your man.
Anything you need to know about trying to get your wife to pretend their kid has leukemia in order to get out of their one chance to do a tasty tour, ask Biscuits, a dishonourably discharged civvie who also has never heard a shot fired in anger.

Believe me whether it's 1 year or 3, the opportunity will not pass me by, I should have joined the army 2 years ago only for the fact my child was just born. I'm now happy enough to be away for a while, has the advantage of getting away from her for a while lol.

Read all the posts on that DIE thread, so you think I would finish basic then before Pre deployment training I would do 18 months DIE training as well? Or am I picking up wrong.

Educate me!

Believe me whether it's 1 year or 3, the opportunity will not pass me by, I should have joined the army 2 years ago only for the fact my child was just born. I'm now happy enough to be away for a while, has the advantage of getting away from her for a while lol.

Read all the posts on that DIE thread, so you think I would finish basic then before Pre deployment training I would do 18 months DIE training as well? Or am I picking up wrong.

Educate me!
Just take these questions up with your recruiting team. It's their job.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Didn't think there was any compulsory call ups now?

How can an instructor predict that you will pass out and then start pre deployment training.
Unless he knows which battle groups and sub units are deplying early 2013

Get your training over and done with Full Metal Jacket has been on t.v. recently.
Cpls and above get excited when it's on.

Didn't think there was any compulsory call ups now?

How can an instructor predict that you will pass out and then start pre deployment training.
Unless he knows which battle groups and sub units are deplying early 2013

Get your training over and done with Full Metal Jacket has been on t.v. recently.
Cpls and above get excited when it's on.
This

I thought it was "intelligent mobilisation" these days.

S

swampmonster

maybe just the bloke doing the Brief has the "Oh ****" factor head on and looking for a wee group of upset shiney faces looking back, think i would be more interested getting your training out of the way before getting sand in your flip flops......What unit you joined ?

2 royal Irish, he said he will be asked for a number of guys, volunteers first then people will get told they have to go, I think the way he was saying it he didn't want anyone in his company that didn't want to go or just wanted to play about but not do the real work. I dunno but after his chat a few guys upped and left, they obviously thought they were joining a social club

S

swampmonster

Chuck, think he has been on a power trip not his job to get the quota for Op's if they got up and left **** them...no great loss, they are the type we have been culling for the last ten years....the process goes on.

Bottom line is you go when YOU are ready, not before...no one will force you. The lads I met with 1 Royal Irish who were from your gang were a good bunch and seemed to be well treated by the battle group... Maybe you should hang on till they head out again?

Best of luck with your training..

Cheers for that mate, if I can get trained enough by september and was needed i would more than happily go, the sooner the better, and the more training I can get the time for the better. Even that seems a very long way away... But yea first things first.

Thanks again

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Coming from whare you are mate and the unit you say you are joining then if thats your real name I'd change it.
Bit of PERSEC never harmed

Sounds like yer man was swinging the lead to get rid of the wasters planning to join and do the bare minimum.

Latest Threads