TA Dental

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Apr 17, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Dear All,

Any thoughts on this?

The proposal would be for TA soldiers to be given an annual dental inspection at a local dentist, with the cost of bringing their teeth up to the standards required for mobilisation being carried by the TA.
    It is reasonable to expect for the cost of dental work to be paid by the TA, as the Army requires a certain standard (and most people could happily do their civilian job with no teeth at all).
    This would ensure that there are fewer people rejected on mobilisation, the cost of which I believe would exceed the cost of treatment and additionally would provide yet another good reason for people to join the TA.

2. I think it's a top idea.  But i can't see the current government sanctioning this one.   :(  
  3. msr

msr LE

It's not my idea at all, one of my soldiers came up with it on the Drill night on Tuesday. I tried to find a flaw in it but couldn't. The only problem is one of short-term cost / long-term gain and that will probably get the idea sunk at beancounter central.. :(

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Beancounter Central replying:

It would simply cost too much.  You should see the mouths of some of my Unit - it's like looking at a komodo dragon.  no wonder the septics always take the p*ss out of British teeth ;)

We all know that bad teeth are a sure fail at Chilwell.  So if you don't want to go...
  5. msr

msr LE

The point is that the Army requires a certain standard, so should provide the means necessary for that standard to be met.

What is the cost of mobilising someone to Chilwell? I don't think that there can be much change from £2000, and then there's the emotional cost of saying all you goodbyes, possibly releasing rented accomodation, sorting out a replacement for your job etc etc. How many people are rejected by Chilwell for reasons that are curable and then leave the TA?

I am convinced that a dental inspection would be good value for money.

6. Brings a whole new dimension to the term "drill night" as well.  :D

7. msr

msr LE

I hadn't spotted that one - like it :D

What do you think about the proposal though?

8. I don't think the army gives a four x what the stress will be to you if you are mobilised and then binned at Chillwell, they are after all interested in bums on seats.

Its not a bad idea but no one will want to pay for it and that, with civil servants is the bottom line. :mad:

9. My best mate was mobilised on Feb 26

he had all the jabs he could get and had a tooth pulled to make him medically fit!

I think it only needed a re-filling however he was stood down after about 6 days training as they had over mobilised!!

Luckily he works for the Government in some form so his job was ok

But if it happened to me I think I would get straight to the dentist before I went to Chilwell
  10. msr

msr LE

You miss the point here: why should you have to pay to meet a standard which the army requires?

11. ....but if you dont meet the standard the army requires, should you really be in..............?
  12. TA have no entitlement to medical care from the Army normally unless they are on annual camp or happen to be on duty near a Reg establishment when something goes wrong, which lets face it will be over a weekend when our Reg counterparts are not generally there except for a skeleton staff. So the chances of getting any help is negligible.

We therefore pay for all our dental treatment at the local dentist, if you are lucky you may still be with an NHS registered dentist rather than a Private patients only one which is now the norm (check that out before you move house)

For the sake of my teeth I would rather pay for a new filling than have some git pull one out just because they have no time or money? to do a decent job. I still do not understand why there is no money for health care! for mobilised soldiers (must do an OU Degree  to figure it out I guess) They are mine after all.

So I do believe it would be a good idea for TA to have regular check-ups but as pulheems only happen every 5 years it just is not going to happen.
    It might however be a bloody good retention thingymabob (for the TA) given that since most dentists stopped taking on new NHS patients some time ago the state of the nations teeth has gone downhill dramatically.

Rad Op - what can I say to make you happy??

Are your teeth ok?
    do you have to pay for your treatment?
    and if you do not would you pay £60 for a bloody filling or put it off a bit???
    Lets face it if they are not up to scratch it only takes a few minutes to pull them out

[​IMG]Just lie back and close your eyes you may feel a little prick!

Upon reflection FAT CHANCE of it happening - shame
  14. msr

msr LE

You are most certainly right, however, there are a number of people who are failing the mobilisation medical. This costs a significant amount of cold, hard cash  not to mention the emotional wrench. If these costs can be reduced is it not a win,win situation?

15. msr

oh yeah, i agree to a certain extent- i think that a check up should be done as part of the initial medical when someone joins, so they can be told then if anything looks a bit iffy!

You know what the reg argument is though- if you want the full time benefits........  ;)

And yes, i do pay for my dental treatment- i'd rather do that than hang round on the off chance that i might get called up and have it done by an army teeth knocker outer!