• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

TA compared to other nations

ISTR according to Brother in Law, officers hold commissions both in state National Guard and Army reserve (not sure about OR's probably the same). There are different rates of pay when called out by state or federal grounds, which is one reason why you often hear of "A state of emergency" being declared, as this allows the NG to be called out on the (lower) federal rate.

Pension is there, but goes on number of hours / points gained, so a part-time NG pension will be less than a full-time pension as less hours / points.

There are a few in my unit who have never deployed on ops and are NCOs, some SNCOs. It is bound to cause tension when there is a private who has been on ops who has to serve under a tour dodging senior. We have one bloke who to my knowledge has never deployed on ops, has been in seventeen years and is still only a full screw. He drives recruits about, but that is all he is good for.

The US Army National Guard has 28 Combat Brigades providing 4 times the combat power of the British Army at a cost of about US$16 billion. That's alot of LSDI bang for your buck. They operate Abrams, Bradley, M109A6, M210 MLRS which prooves it can be done given the will, direction and budget.

They also have huge training areas, apparently unlimited MTDs, easy transitions between active and reserve duty, a far greater sense of being "at war" and thus legally enforceable training. The Air National Guard also have the air assets to move them to and from these training areas at will.

Oh, and their reservists attend the regular training "schools" which tend to break things down into 6 or 8 week modules, which employers are happy to support. As the advert says, simples.

What do we have? Bovingdon and SPTA, 27 MTDs, sit up and beg coaches and a delapidated AT fleet. Sad

irlsgt said:
Hyperion said:
Compared to other nations:

Under paid
Under resourced
Mis understood
Taken for granted
An inconvenient truth
You don't know how well you have it compared to the Irish Army Reserve!
The septics are top of the tree, we are way down the list between Ethiopia and Luxembourg, the latter just above the micks

the_boy_syrup said:
I went on an exchange with the New York N.G.

Their own kit seemed a bit dated they thought our Bergans and webbing were better
They were still using vehicles like the "Duece and a half" which the motor pool SGT told me was Korean / Vietnam era
There was plenty of kit though for instance they drove a pickup down for he live fire exercise and the officer wanted it blown up

The weapons were filthy when we got them(we spent a two hour coach journey cleaning them) and there was some problems with the Minimis but again they had loads so just took one put red tape on it and got another

IIRC they offer to pay you through collage for a commited term and after 20 years you get full benifits, and pension this also carries on from a regular coming into the unit from active service he can cary his 9 years for instance into the pension

During the helicopter assault phase the crew chief asked us to point the muzzles up as they had only just colected the Black Hawk and hadn't had time to sort the floor out he said it only had 18 hours on it

They went to Baghdad a year later so I assume all thier kit would have been re issued with newer stuff
NYARNG Infantry at least (1st Bn;69th and 2nd Bn;108th (1st bn;105th has been disbanded)has been re outfitted with New Rifles to include the M4, M110 SDM (and M107 Barrett for the Scout Sniper sections). M-60's are long gone for New M240B's

Soldiers have Full MOLLE system webbing and Packs, ACH helmets, Body Armor is either the IBA or IOTV(the Older PASGT vest is rare to see in Infantry) with SAPI plates. Most training is now conducted in Full Body Armor with Plates. Need another set of ACU? supply has enough to give each snuffy 7 sets

Deuces are gone(we left them in Baghdad for the Iraqi Army in 2005), replaced with LMTV and FMTV trucks. You would now see Armored M1114 & M1157 HMMWV's, M1117 ASV's available for units training. a Few Cargo M998 and Command M998 are still around.

Radios are SINCGARS and MBITR and we had dozens of Marconi PRR's as well.

Now New York Reorganized the Division while we were in Baghdad. Our 2 Tank Bn's are gone(Both Had M1 & IP M1's) and a HMMWV mounted Cav Sqn (RSTA)replaced them. The Artillery bn's (2- 1st Bn; 258th FA and 1st Bn;156th FA)which was 155mm M109A6 Paladin mounted are now M119(L119) Light guns.

About 1/2 the 69th has recently returned (Dec. 2008) from an Afghan tour opconned to 2/101CAV. Since then Companies have done annual camp in Thailand, Puerto Rico, Japan, Egypt and the Snipers trained with the South African Army.

Pay is based on 4 hours drill period= 1 days regular pay. You're required to drill 48 periods per year and a 2 week Annual Camp minimum( we used to also particpate in ex.Northern Viking in Iceland every 2 years-27th Brigade). Pension comes when you reach age 60 if qualified. NY also Pays tuition cost to any State University in addition to any Federal education funding(aka G.I. Bill).

Each company has 3 full time staff(Readiness, Supply, Admin), and usually 4-6 on short term full duty of 60-120 days at a time. Transfers in rank to the regulars are allowed if NCOES requirements are done. And we regularly get regulars who've finished their time coming in. The Company averages 153% overstrength.

One of My Joes became a Blackhawk Pilot after being commissioned and my sniper decided he liked being a doorgunner and transferred. He just finished his 3rd Iraq tour(each is 12 month minimum for us)

ub2008 said:
There are a few in my unit who have never deployed on ops and are NCOs, some SNCOs. It is bound to cause tension when there is a private who has been on ops who has to serve under a tour dodging senior. We have one bloke who to my knowledge has never deployed on ops, has been in seventeen years and is still only a full screw. He drives recruits about, but that is all he is good for.
Oh Christ, there's another one. Does it occur to you that these Seniors might not have been eligible to go as there were no PIDs for them to fill?

With the exception of the Balkans which you thrusting young blades don't count as a tour there wasn't anything for this seventeen-year-served bloke to deploy on for the first ten years of his service. When the ink's dry on your ID card come back & contribute usefully to a thread that aims to help the OP describe to his Ham Shank relatives what the difference is between the TA & the USNG/USAR.

Anyway, for the grown ups an interesting suggestion about the use of the USNG in Chicago.

BTW if I've just been wah'd by one of the usual suspects with an alternative log in on a fishing trip I don't give a fuck. I kow what I've done & where I served & have pride in that just as the young lads today can have pride in what they're doing now. We can only fight the war presented to us...

ub2008 said:
Think of him as an enabler.... you may not have any recruits if he wasn't there and it allows someone who does deploy to have more training and/or with their family/work.

Oh God. irlsgt has used the "enabler" word. Incoming crayons BRACE BRACE BRACE!

Goldbricker said:
Pay is based on 4 hours drill period= 1 days regular pay. You're required to drill 48 periods per year and a 2 week Annual Camp minimum( we used to also particpate in ex.
2 weekends per month? + 2 weeks

As far as the Australian army reserve is concerned , they have a completely different initial training period which is fulltime and not run over a period of weekends.
The operational deployment of reservists largely depends on the unit , for instance many of the state infantry regiments complete regular tours of East Timor , ( Royal Victoria Regt etc)
Army reserve units such as 1 st commando who are mixed regular / army reserve deploy to Afghanistan with the relevant Task group.
by and large I found the standard to be high and the average level of fitness and commitment within the reserves in Australia to be very good.

Rogerdodger said:
The lads in the TA I'm in do a good job driving boats around the Southampton area to a standard the Regs do.
The problem is the useless number of FIS personnel ( Fat Idle Seniors), who probably like many other outfits do feck all and should be culled.

Many of which are either power hungry fat useless gets or yellow bellies who skip op tours.
This is were the powers that be should be looking at saving money to invest in proper kit and MTTD's.
What the same as you do a good job driving your cars as a reg does.......wow impressed

Skipping is actually very good for weight loss and if done on tour in the heat whilst wearing full rig has even more weight loss benefits.

static-line-gimp said:
As far as the Australian army reserve is concerned
I gather that at least one TA soldier attacthed to the Aussies got sent to ?East Timor and came back with a rather chichi medal for his efforts.

The main differences between us and the US Reserves is the US reserves:

Are not Casual Labour (treated with respect by their Govt)

Have a mandatory commitment ( the Soldiers have to turn up) To be truthful, most TA pax would be sacked for attendance if they were in any other company but it works both ways as we are not part time we don’t have to turn up every Drill Night.

Have a Regular Army that understands them,

Have imbedded Regular Troops to run the admin, not a NRPS and an indifferent PSI.

The_Ow_of_Now said:
The main differences between us and the US Reserves is the US reserves:

Are not Casual Labour (treated with respect by their Govt)

Have a mandatory commitment ( the Soldiers have to turn up) To be truthful, most TA pax would be sacked for attendance if they were in any other company but it works both ways as we are not part time we don’t have to turn up every Drill Night.

Have a Regular Army that understands them,

Have imbedded Regular Troops to run the admin, not a NRPS and an indifferent PSI.
Cheers TOON, very interesting, and i agree with the other comments on here about piss poor attendance, if you dont want to turn up for 2 hours a week then leave

Bravo_Bravo said:
static-line-gimp said:
As far as the Australian army reserve is concerned
I gather that at least one TA soldier attacthed to the Aussies got sent to ?East Timor and came back with a rather chichi medal for his efforts.
still loving that Gimp tag Bravo Bravo....
Hope all is well in your dacha ....

flamingo said:
There are different rates of pay when called out by state or federal grounds, which is one reason why you often hear of "A state of emergency" being declared, as this allows the NG to be called out on the (lower) federal rate.
Not quite; AIUI as soon as the Governer gets Congress to agree a State Of Emergency, the cost is born centrally and not by the State.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Goldbricker said:
the_boy_syrup said:
I went on an exchange with the New York N.G................

They went to Baghdad a year later so I assume all thier kit would have been re issued with newer stuff
NYARNG Infantry at least (1st Bn;69th and 2nd Bn;108th (1st bn;105th has been disbanded)has been re outfitted with New Rifles to include the M4, M110 SDM (and M107 Barrett for the Scout Sniper sections). M-60's are long gone for New M240B's..............
Good set off lads very keen enjoyed working with them :salut:

The problem is the useless number of FIS personnel ( Fat Idle Seniors), who probably like many other outfits do feck all and should be culled.

Well Roger , i totally aggree with your coments . Theres are plenty of FIS in my unit who are P7 etc non deployable , plus that they dont have the knowledge to teach anything trade related ! They not Ditts trained cant even produce a lesson plan or to that fact a Tsi .

Still not worry a audit team was round our unit last year so the cull is coming !

mrscroggins said:
The problem is the useless number of FIS personnel ( Fat Idle Seniors)
What about the number of STABs in your unit? will the cull get rid of them too? Im not TA, but ive served along side a lot of them on ops, there are plenty of young JNCOs and Ptes who may have deployed more than their SNCOs but are absolutley useless.

You find stupid/useless/fat people in all ranks in both our Regulars and TA.

I dont use the word STAB to encompass all TA personnel, just the ones who deserve it.