TA Commissioning advice

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by hushpuppy72, Mar 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am a WO2 in the AGC and in my latest SJAR's I was recommended for commissioning and there is now a vacancy that my OC is putting me up for to the CO for consideration in LE Commissioning.

Our PSI is pretty useless and I am trying to confirm if anyone can assist with the following questions as I do not want to waste anyone's time if I don't fulfil the necessary requirements?

1. Are there any minimum academic requirements to be (LE) commissioned?
    2. Can an MLD graded soldier be commissioned?
    3. Is there a specific Army Form that needs to be completed?

Cheers

2. TA Regs 4.014b.: b. Soldier Entrants. All Soldier Entrants are required to have 5 x GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade C or above, including English language, maths and either a science or foreign language. Ex Regular Warrant Officers are exempt this requirement.

a. Normally a candidate is to be of the medical standard laid down in PULHHEEMS Administrative Pamphlet 2010 (Army Code No 13371), Chapter 3, for first commissioning. Exceptions may be made in the following cases:

(1) Candidates for commissioned appointments in OTC contingents are not to be less than PULHHEEMS Employment Standard LE for the arm concerned.

(2) The medical standards for Group B (less OTC) are dependent on the roles of the different units and are to be in accordance with instructions issued by the APC MCM Div concerned.

(3) Subject to MS Reserves APC approval in each case, commissions may be granted to candidates who are not of the prescribed medical standard who are specially recommended on the grounds that they are of particular value to the TA.

Commissioning Qualifications (Soldier Entry)

4.021. From Apr 07 all officers commissioned late or from the ranks will receive a TA Gp A Commission in the rank of Lt or A/Capt (on probation, see paras 4.061 and 4.063-5). Eligibility is:

a. A recommendation in the last OJAR/SJAR.

b. Exceptionally 9 years from their 21st birthday, of service in the ranks of which 2 must have been as a SNCO. Regular service, Mobilized service or Full time service is to be counted. Priority should be given to the Direct Entry Route for commissioning for any individual who has the ability to complete the RMAS commissioning course before age 35.

Also see Annex A to Chapter 4.

Without wanting to appear disrespectful how did you reach WO2 in the AGC without being familiar with TA Regs?

3. I'll get the form details tomorrow when I'm in the office unless someone here beats me to it.

4. JD150,

Thanks for answering my questions and certainly no disrespect taken by your last remark. The only answer I can offer is that being a member of a national TA unit that is administered by a CVHQ many miles away from where I live and that I visit once a year, (if I am lucky) I have limited opportunity to check either hard copy or electronic copies of TA Regs. As I also said we have a useless PSI, therefore I thought I could quickly get the answers on this forum, which you have justified by your answer.

Thanks again

5. I held an LE TA commision without GCSE Maths, so it can't be rigidly enforced.

6. msr

msr LE

Clearly the ability to search armynet for TA Regs is not a requirement ;)

msr

7. The requirement was not necessarily as it is now when you received your commission.

8. msr

msr LE

Or desperation is now setting in with regard to the TA Officer Corps....

9. What does this refer to exactly ?
    "TA Regs 4.014b.: b. Soldier Entrants. All Soldier Entrants are required to have 5 x GCSEs (or equivalent) at grade C or above, including English language, maths and either a science or foreign language. Ex Regular Warrant Officers are exempt this requirement."

10. Soldier entry commissions rather than direct entry commissions i.e. commissioning from the ranks.

11. Ok, so an LE has to have 5 O levels and be at least a WO2 ?

12. No. 5 GCSEs (unless an Ex-Regular WO) if commissioning since Amdt 34 to TA Regs (Aug 10) and meet the STA requirements at Annex A to Chap 4.