TA Commission/Private Soldier

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by brick26, Feb 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am intent on joining the TA after uni but am undecided if I should go for a commission or join as a private?

Some people will think this is a stupid comment but from what experience I have of regular TA units its seems in a way more enjoyable and sociable with the regular soldiers? I undertsand I have only had a small insight into the TA through the UOTC but just wandering what the thoughts are on the officer/private debate.

2. thought I would put it in the TA forum as I thought this would be to get the best advice, from guys in the TA. Cant hurt to get advice from different areas.

3. A direct entrance officer will gain less respect from his troops than one who has been on the ground, learnt about what his (future) troops have to go through and has experienced soldiering from the lowest level.

My advice would be to do a few years as a private (possibly even L/Cpl and Cpl) to gain experience.

You'll be respected more for knowing WTF you're on about when talking to the boys and girls, once you have your commission.

4. I was thinking that, possibly even do a tour. Then go for a commission. Have been advised that better to get it as soon as possible tho.

5. Getting stuck in as a private first is the better way imho. I loved the few years I spent as a pte/tpr, and I was genuinely gutted when I couldn't dodge being an officer cadet anymore! I've now got my comission, but my time without it was fantastic, and it gives you a good start. You learn the trade in a more relaxed manner, there's probably more opportunities to do patrol competitions or shooting if you're into that sort of thing, and most importantly, you'll learn what makes a good officer, from the lads, and from observing your officers and deciding who is good / useless and why. Unless time is against you, go in as a pte. If nothing else, you'll really appreciate knowing you're unlikely to get dicked for fire picket (sp?) or stagging on the gate when you finally comission.....fantastic :eek:) :eek:)

6. It depends what you really want to do and are passionate about,

I'm with the Australian Reserve as an Officer-Cadet, i will have my commission before I turn 20.

Its something ive always wanted to do and always would have wanted to do if I didnt try. I dont mean to be snobbish about the 'diggers', but its not something I was ever interested in.

Do what you really WANT to do, not what 'people say is best'. Nobody wants a digger/squaddie that doesnt want to be there, or an officer who wishes he was anything but!

7. Cheers. At tho moment I am thinkng of going in as a private for a while to gain that experience, get to see how things are done from the bottom up. Then if things go ok go for a comission.

8. do you want a professional hobby or a second career?

9. In a way could u not class these as both the same?? or are u saying an officer in the TA has a second career while those who are not officers have a professional hobby?

10. In my [basic and broad-brushed] view, being an OR in the TA means turning up to training and being a professional during training. However, being an officer means a commitment and responsibility that goes far beyond time spent at the TAC, that has a greater potential to interfere with your life and first career. Admittedly as one would progress up the 'soldier' train this out of hours work increases, but as a YO it starts immediately.

11. Dear Brick 26,

If you have the desire to command and your OTC is saying that you can do it or have the potential to, then fine go for it if you really want the chance to command. If you want to swan about in mess kit then don't do it, you will be unhappy and your soldiers will hate you.

It is about what you can bring to whatever post you go for. Either way you have to "do the business", so if you have leadership potential and are professional in the way you do things, it will be recognised quickly and you will be selected for PJNCO or PO training.

Personally I like PO's to pass a PJNCO cadre, however a 2Lt that joins from OTC will not have a problem as long as they lead (okay it is a bit more than that but the general point holds true), don't get arrogant, and honestly try their best.

I'm not saying go for a Commission, decide for yourself.

And by the way IMHO, the questions you've asked and the way that you have asked them (apart from the text speak) suggest that you could do it.

Yours ever,

GH

12. if you want to commission - go for it

if you join as an OR - you'll get good experience, youll learn the job from the roots up

but youo'll lose seniority as an Officer

anyway - OR or Commission, you need to EARN the respect of your crew/team/peers, and if your a fukcwit - you will never do that no matter what way you travel

13. I spent a few years as a Rifleman/LCpl then went for a commission and it was the best decision I've ever made.

I loved being a Rfn, I will always remember what it was like to be one and sometimes miss doing a section attack but I now get so much more out of the TA and it has forced me to develop a much wider transferable skills base which can be invaluable.

I also think the lads appreciate the fact I'm not fresh out of the packet and have a bit of experience.

Rifleman

14. Quick question. How old are you? I've not heard many people recommend the Direct Entry Officer route unless you have previous military experience or are pushing the age limit TBH.