TA CMTs

Hi ya I'm a TA CMT, however I have a quick question about TA recruitment of CMT's..

My sister has no medical background and is thinking of joining the TA as a CMT and has been told my someone at a careers thing in Manchester that the TA wont take you on as a CMT unless you have a medical background..

Is this true? When did they bring this is? Or is this a we really need a chef stunt?

Thanks in advance 8)

Yup, it's all down to "Clinical Governance" if your not doing it in civvy street then they aren't going to let you do it in the TA. Existing TA CMT's will bcome CMA's (Assistants). Wheel, reinvent.

It may be possible to slope along to an inf unit and still get in as a CMA attached to them......

Actually - having used a tiny bit of grey matter - that now seems like a stupid question.
Remember there are no stupid questions - just stupid people. :oops:

Amazingly had to edit such a simple statement. I rest my case. :roll:

bone question time :oops:

So what exactly will a CMA do thats different to a CMT? I was hoping to do the CMT course but may pick a different trade now.

nobody seem too sure this all changed a year ago and they are still picking the bones out of it, latest rumour mill I heard that if you trained as a CMT thats what you will be called regardless of civvie training but who can tell!

until then...combat mop technician!

ahhh!

I had heard we were changing to CMA didn't know the reason behind it...

So could she still join a medical regiment as a CMA then?

I just got back 3 weeks ago from a re-trade to CMT 3, I am not In a medical job and out of the 20 on my course there was only 3 that did have a civi medical job.
We where told any rumours we have heard about CMT changing to CMA are not going to happen. Apparently the courses are changing towards the end of the year and could involve more home study.

She could probably apply as a CMA, which will be very much like an auxilliary nurse, mopping up the blood and gore, fetching and carrying but not actually anything 'invasive' cannulas or intubation...that sort of stuff. It all started with the clinical governance row that came in a while ago!

Basically it was the normal knee-jerk reaction.....nobody realised what would happen! now its the back tracking!

This is not true, CMT is almost the only medical role you can join with no medical back ground. I just rang my sgt to fine out.
Odd, I'm an ex reg CMT, currently certified as an EMT with AREMT and have current tickets in trauma assessment, advanced airway management, and IV & IO therapy - and have been most definitely chinned off

Nobby - If you're applying for a Field Hospital(v) then they will probably chin you off.

However most TA units are established for Company/Squadron Medics, you are still Royal Army Medical Corps and your Career path still follows the normal RAMC career path (Class 3, 2, 1 BATLS etc) however you are just attached to a different unit. Experiences of how you are used tend to vary wildly from unit to unit - ranging from established well thought out and managed Medical CoC to stick you in a corner and look at you wondering what you are or even worse just get you doing Engineer/Signals/Infantry training and ignoring the fact that your Career courses you aspire to pass are Medical based and your training/experience needs to be geared towards that.

That said however it's a good and rewarding job and a keen medic who drives their own development and medical opportunities is an asset to most units, 99% of the time they wonder why you exist but the 1% is when they realise that you're pretty handy to have around, like when someones femur is sticking out of their leg whilst on the side of a mountain with nil access by road...

As far as I am aware they are still recruiting TA CMT's thats what they are telling me anyway because I am currently in the process of rejoining the TA so I can become one.

It is still on the Army Jobs website as an available role also.

Since enquiring, I've turned 44. Upper age for CMT (V) is 43. Looking at RNR though - they're 45 with previous service, hopefully including Army

Air branch and Communications.
So if I walk into the AFCO, the nearest one is tri-service, and bellow "**** off Biggles"; they'll snap me up?

That's just grand that is. I might have a go at diver then, I've got Open Advanced, Nitrox and Rescue Diver already tucked away

Can I ask purely from interest... why is CMT so popular right now? I am sure every thread we see here is "Im applying for the TA and I want to be a CMT". Why is the concept of dealing with somebody whose insides have become their outsides so appealing?

I have heard a few people say they want to be CMTs because they want to join the army but don't want to shoot anyone, I think that is absolutely retarded.