TA Centenary - How do you think it should be celebrated?

G

Goku

Now there’s a tempting idea :D

Boss: “meeting in 10min Goku”
Goku: “not today mate”
Boss: “why not?”
Goku: “GPMG says no!!!” :twisted:

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
COS1SigBde said:
RP578 said:
Wingletang said:
Baz44 said:
- we are now the reserve of first choice through our own hard work - and the Army cannot operate without us (yes that does bring inherant issues I do not disagree)
Um,.... which other reserve is there for us to be chosen against??? If there's only one reserve (there IS only one) then it's not surprising we're the 'first choice'
The Regular Reserve?
What! you mean the disconnected mass of ex Army (ask yourself why they left) refugees who, incidentally, the MOD can't find after about 2 years due to address changes and the perils of civvy life?

Not a hope. Look at the stats for mobilisations over the last few years - predominantly TA. That is of course the reason why the TA is 'first choice' cos the Regular reserve isn't delivering.
I'd actually be interested in seeing a breakdown of those stats. Anecdotally, my own experience doesn't gel with what you've posted. Half of my cadre at RTMC for Telic 7 were Reg Reservists and the cadre before ours was entirely Reg Reserves.

I can fully believe that this was an anomaly, but I wonder.

Baz44

War Hero
Actually the idea of wearing unform to work was one we muted many years ago for National TA day. Actually we are the soldiery within the community we do a damn good job (eh two in fact for most of us). It would help publicity, recruiting and retention but I agree may not be for all. I bet the first thing you would get in most places of work was I didn't know you were in the Army what do you do exactly - a good hook for a conversation (unlike you Goku not to be spoiling for a fight).

The TA is no longer a drinking club but a professional part of the Army and we should think and be proud of that - but we constantly under sell what we do as if we are ashamed - why? To often I hear soldiers say I am only in the TA - that word 'only' is so self belittling in this day and age!

We are the Reserve of First Chioce where in the past it was the Regular Reserve and the Long Term Reserve first and not the TA. However they realised that the TA serve because they want to unlike the Regular and Long Term Reserve who volunteer to be just that under a liability they hope will never come up having already 'Done their bit' (no offence meant to any Reg or Long Term Res reading this).

Yes we should celebrate, yes it should be big we are after all the biggest Reserve Organsiation in the military and yes it should be government funded as after all we serve them and have done so in the past and future.

But I also think those in the command chain must push our feedback up through the CoC if we believe the planning to be to tightly budget driven. It will be what we make it ultimately. I bet if the NHS or Social Services celebrated their 100 they would do so in style. So why not Us are we not worthy? - answer if we think we are not then we wont be! Is one weekend for a National decent event too much to ask? Lets face it we know the troops do like to get out once in a while and show off in public (most remembrance parades are rarely under manned). But I also agree good quality and funded training would also be of great benefit and retention tool right now.

TA100 - A Century of Reserve Service, from the soldiers within

One thing is for sure if WE don't ALL get behind it - it will be just a damp squib - simple as that! Maybe its time to get a bit FCUKING MOTIVATED PEOPLE as my old Sgt Maj used to say:)

Cheers

If there is to be a parade, I hope it's held after midday - after all, it's April Fool's Day! (Visions of massed ranks - "PARADE - SHUN! (pause) HA, HA! APRIL FOOL! Now fall out and get on the bus to Chilwell.")

Could be the spark for the Revolution...

Such an event would definately be of worth to recruitment & retention. The number of people I have spoken to in my local town who have said "I didn't know there was a TA Centre around here" is proof alone that (especially in our community) our presence and interaction with the public is extremely limited.

Even if we just had a parade through the town it would be worth it just to say we are TA, we are here in this town and ultimately we are serving you.

polar

LE
GuybrushThreepwood said:
Even if we just had a parade through the town it would be worth it just to say we are TA, we are here in this town and ultimately we are serving you.
In mixed dress? part civilian uniform and part 95 .... To reinforce we are not regular army side of things

bumpkin1

Swinger
I will never understand why everyone (regulars and TA alike) are so against being seen in uniform..? It is almost as if people are ashamed of serving their country these days which I think is half of the recruiting crisis.
We should wear uniform as much as possible like they did in the good ol days! Why are people so frightened of a bunch of hippy anti war protesters? People might actually realise that soldiers are human and that the TA don't still wear tin hats and are soldiers, be it part time.
The centenary is very important, and done right could be just the sort of thing to raise the profile of the TA out of the Dads Army/preston Front/Office hole that is in with most of the public.
On another note with this whole thing about not wearing uniform in case a muslim sees you and gets ideas about blowing you up, I could see it having the opposite effect. More uniforms on the streets has to be good for security, like bobbies on the beat...

Old-Salt
bumpkin1 said:
I will never understand why everyone (regulars and TA alike) are so against being seen in uniform..? It is almost as if people are ashamed of serving their country these days which I think is half of the recruiting crisis.
We should wear uniform as much as possible like they did in the good ol days! Why are people so frightened of a bunch of hippy anti war protesters? People might actually realise that soldiers are human and that the TA don't still wear tin hats and are soldiers, be it part time.
The centenary is very important, and done right could be just the sort of thing to raise the profile of the TA out of the Dads Army/preston Front/Office hole that is in with most of the public.
On another note with this whole thing about not wearing uniform in case a muslim sees you and gets ideas about blowing you up, I could see it having the opposite effect. More uniforms on the streets has to be good for security, like bobbies on the beat...
The reason uniform is not worn in public is because every pissed twat and his dog who fancies himself will have ago, and if you get a kicking it will most likely go unreported, however give aforementioned twat what he deserves and it will be in the local rag as a "Racist incident" or "army brutality"

For those Arrsers of my vintage (joined '79) the reason we had such a thing against wearing uniform was the ever present threat of some nice little leprechaun driving up to you and letting go with a dakka-dakka before wishing you the top of the morning and naffing off.

Baz44

War Hero
Ah but Cuddles the threat is different now - yes it may come from within our own community. More so from those young kids who struggle for identity within their own closed communites (yes sometimes ethnic). However more uniforms on the street may increase security. But we are talking one offs rather than every day after all most of us have the other job to consider.

To be honest every time we have hit the street we have never had a problem with civilians or any abuse. Kids trying on a bit of Bravado on occasions but a chat with them with or without Coffee ususally makes them see sense (actually I find them funny and entertaining and of course a challenge). in fact i know of units who have actively recruited in Night clubs until 2 am (however they did slip away just before closing time - that was after all common sense).

Personally I think it comes down to respect. People on the street have little respect for each other - how ever we do within the military - yes there is banter and baiting but we all apprecaite we need each other to be effective. in civvy street its dog eat dog. however a man in uniform seems to command respect maybe it goes right back to our youth and days at school - who knows

But it does seem sometimes like we treat our service like another life we all hold dear but a closed shop only to those with whom we serve. with even our nearest and dearest on the outside at times.

Cheers

crossed_axes

Old-Salt
OK - enough bickering about uniforms.

What should happen next year?

I'd go for
- some kind of newsworthy spectacle in London
- big parades (bands, marching contingent, vehicles etc) through, say, half a dozen of the biggest cities across the UK
- a national service of remembrance

Street parties, bunting, paper hats, jelly.

It doesn't matter what ideas come up, none of them will reflect the TA. Forming up on parade doesn't represent us - it's not what we do.

No doubt, a few years after the event, someone will say "Why isn't there a monument of some sort to recognise the TA Centenary?" But monuments cost money and a year isn't much time to raise a public subscription - and who would contribute, and wouldn't the funds be better spent on something else. And, at the end of the day, how would it look any different to a "just" Army memorial? - after all, the TA is substantially just a big nameless training regiment. On mobilisation, you sign up to the Regular Army.

Sorry, depression coming to the surface, suddenly realising that we have no corporate identity any more.

polar

LE
putteesinmyhands said:
No doubt, a few years after the event, someone will say "Why isn't there a monument of some sort to recognise the TA Centenary?"
We did monuments to ourselves in WW1/WW2 but I doubt most of us know about them. We should remember them not us

polar said:
putteesinmyhands said:
No doubt, a few years after the event, someone will say "Why isn't there a monument of some sort to recognise the TA Centenary?"
We did monuments to ourselves in WW1/WW2 but I doubt most of us know about them. We should remember them not us
I was going to say that that's not quite the point, but I suppose in a round about way it is. The memorials you mention are to commemorate The Fallen and in conflicts past TA soldiers fought as TA soldiers, so you'll find local memorials dedicated to TA units. Nowadays, we train as TA but fight as Regulars - hence the comment about being seen as a training regiment.

I was thinking in terms of a monument recognising 100 years of the existence of the TA and the service and commitment that that represents. Arguably, the TA helped prevent invasion during the Cold War (at least, that's what we were led to believe and provided the argument to secure funding), but it's unlikely that there'll ever be any formal recognition of this.

Not that I particularly want a monument, a framed Centenary citation would be more welcome (to hide at the back of the drawer and reflect on on odd occasions in the future).

msr

LE
putteesinmyhands said:
It doesn't matter what ideas come up, none of them will reflect the TA. Forming up on parade doesn't represent us - it's not what we do.
So a celebratory cavalcade in whatever non VOR vehicles are left at each TAC, to converge on Chilwell, lead by a TA-crewed, sandy-coloured snatch (which is to break down on the motorway, be fixed by a couple of guys whose day jobs are mechanics) and finally have to be towed in through the front gates? Then a curry lunch.

The salute to be taken in front of Tescos, with the FANY and MGS providing cheerleaders.

msr

polar

LE
msr said:
to converge on Chilwell

The salute to be taken in front of Tescos
For not the same reasons, I'd like to see that happen.

Also find it rather funny that the TAC opposite TESCO's does more for TA recruitment (excellent display - harriers etc), than the rather larger 'TAC' down the road.

msr

LE
And in true TA style, we will arrive to find that the celebrations have been cancelled and the message hadn't got through. (Plan B is that the chefs couldn't turn in that weekend and Plan C that no-one thought to order the food.)

msr

polar said:
Also find it rather funny that the TAC opposite TESCO's does more for TA recruitment (excellent display - harriers etc), than the rather larger 'TAC' down the road.
Hardly surprising as the "rather larger 'TAC'" is a Regular Army barracks and MQ that also houses RTMC. Discounting mobilised reserves, the TA component comprises 20% of the paper strength for one or two weekends per year!