TA Centenary - How do you think it should be celebrated?

polar

LE
Lance_Jacked said:
Cuddles said:
All surviving Territorials, serving and retired should be awarded a silver badge - similar to the old lapel badge. This could have a 1907-2007 scroll added to make a fitting memorial.
I think Cuddles idea is the most realistic idea,
Yep that could go with my doing 15 camps medal and the Queens Birthday one......

Baz44

War Hero
Whilst I understand the manning issues we all have as Commanders is it not a case of if you think it will be crap with a low turn out then the end result will be just that. PMA gentlemen please and thats from an equally old bugger! I get just a tad annoyed when we continually under sell our own efforts and what we do - we are now the reserve of first choice through our own hard work - and the Army cannot operate without us (yes that does bring inherant issues I do not disagree)

Personally I feel a Centenary only comes but once every 100 years (clever that huh!). If it goes unmarked then personally I feel it makes a mockery of our past and present hard work. During the past 100 years soldiers have died in their thousands and continue to do so today and a proportion of them are TA we should not forget that.

We celebrate many things and should do so for this - funds the government has them so give some to the MOD. we all know Gordon has a slush fund and this would be a drop in the Ocean. Its not just for the LSN 42,000 serving but for the hundreds of thousands who have done so and they should equally share in the event they were part of getting us to where we are today as we are for those of the future.

The hows, the whats, the whens and the whys will all be planned by the powers that be. But if we in the TA take a rather mute approach then we reap what we sow! The organiosation is not perfect we all know that and have our gripes. You are free to leave at anytime but don't because you care passionately - but something like this transends all the crap - or if it does not then it should - you will not be here for the next one (but lets us hope the TA is!)

Anyway did someone mention the FANY dancing at Wembly? I know a FANY and would love to book them accordingly :) Poppy where are you my dear :)

Cheers

The_Duke

LE
Baz,

I hope for one of two results - A well funded spectacular event, recognising the TA of the past and the contribution of the modern TA

or

Feck all.

What I would hate to have happen is what is most likely - a half arrsed, under funded bodged event which the general public are likely to look at and wonder why we bothered.

Are we going to cancel all of the other "compulsory events" such as Lord Mayor's pde, Exec Stretch, Bde/District inter unit competitions etc to make time for it? Or are we going to have to sacrifice useful, meaningful, retention positive training to make time for it?

I am old and cyncial enough to guess the answers to my rhetorical questions.

Duke

The_Duke said:
Baz,

I hope for one of two results - A well funded spectacular event, recognising the TA of the past and the contribution of the modern TA

or

Feck all.

What I would hate to have happen is what is most likely - a half arrsed, under funded bodged event which the general public are likely to look at and wonder why we bothered.

Are we going to cancel all of the other "compulsory events" such as Lord Mayor's pde, Exec Stretch, Bde/District inter unit competitions etc to make time for it? Or are we going to have to sacrifice useful, meaningful, retention positive training to make time for it?

Duke
Duke, I suspect that there will be no single answer to your question. It is the county RFCAs who appear to be stirring on this one. Certain ideas are being discussed at MoD level but they could be priced out of the game. Be in no doubt, it is Broon who is the villain of the piece since shekels are everything.

The_Duke

LE
stickybomb said:
The_Duke said:
Baz,

or

Feck all.

Duke
Duke, I suspect that there will be no single answer to your question. It is the county RFCAs who appear to be stirring on this one. Certain ideas are being discussed at MoD level but they could be priced out of the game. Be in no doubt, it is Broon who is the villain of the piece since shekels are everything.
We're doomed, d'ya hear me, DOOMED!

The_Duke said:
stickybomb said:
We're doomed, d'ya hear me, DOOMED!
:thumright: Spot on, Duke. :pale:

hammockhead

Old-Salt
Lance_Jacked said:
Why not have a reservist commeration day?

Dont ask me how it would work or be celebrated

But its an idea....

Answers on a postcard please

(yes there is spelling mistakes)
Canada has a 'wear your uniform to work' day. See here

Australia has an annual reserve forces day parade.

polar said:
hammockhead said:

Australia has an annual reserve forces day parade.
Do Brownies still do that on St Georges day?
I doubt it, the PC brigade would brand it as jingoistic and Nationalistic as well as probably being zenophobic, racist and homophobic!

Baz44 said:
Whilst I understand the manning issues we all have as Commanders is it not a case of if you think it will be crap with a low turn out then the end result will be just that. PMA gentlemen please and thats from an equally old bugger! I get just a tad annoyed when we continually under sell our own efforts and what we do - we are now the reserve of first choice through our own hard work - and the Army cannot operate without us (yes that does bring inherant issues I do not disagree)

Personally I feel a Centenary only comes but once every 100 years (clever that huh!). If it goes unmarked then personally I feel it makes a mockery of our past and present hard work. During the past 100 years soldiers have died in their thousands and continue to do so today and a proportion of them are TA we should not forget that.

We celebrate many things and should do so for this - funds the government has them so give some to the MOD. we all know Gordon has a slush fund and this would be a drop in the Ocean. Its not just for the LSN 42,000 serving but for the hundreds of thousands who have done so and they should equally share in the event they were part of getting us to where we are today as we are for those of the future.

The hows, the whats, the whens and the whys will all be planned by the powers that be. But if we in the TA take a rather mute approach then we reap what we sow! The organiosation is not perfect we all know that and have our gripes. You are free to leave at anytime but don't because you care passionately - but something like this transends all the crap - or if it does not then it should - you will not be here for the next one (but lets us hope the TA is!)

Anyway did someone mention the FANY dancing at Wembly? I know a FANY and would love to book them accordingly :) Poppy where are you my dear :)

Cheers
Well said Baz, let's hope that our efforts aren't rewarded by some kind of shoestring, penny pinching sh1tty exercise!

Wingletang

War Hero
Baz44 said:
- we are now the reserve of first choice through our own hard work - and the Army cannot operate without us (yes that does bring inherant issues I do not disagree)
Um,.... which other reserve is there for us to be chosen against??? If there's only one reserve (there IS only one) then it's not surprising we're the 'first choice'

msr

LE
hammockhead said:
HH,

That is quite the most brilliant idea I have heard in a long time.

Cost: Free
Publicity generated: Massive.

This gets my vote for the TA 100th anniversary. It is a forward, rather than backward looking (not that I am dissing history/sacrifice and all that good stuff) and with a special dispensation to wear medals on CS95 would be a fitting way to celebrate 100 years. I could see this being an annual event.

msr
P.S. Just make sure you have a pocket full of recruiting cards.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Wingletang said:
Baz44 said:
- we are now the reserve of first choice through our own hard work - and the Army cannot operate without us (yes that does bring inherant issues I do not disagree)
Um,.... which other reserve is there for us to be chosen against??? If there's only one reserve (there IS only one) then it's not surprising we're the 'first choice'
The Regular Reserve?

Blyth_spirit

War Hero
msr said:
hammockhead said:
HH,

This gets my vote for the TA 100th anniversary. It is a forward, rather than backward looking (not that I am dissing history/sacrifice and all that good stuff) and with a special dispensation to wear medals on CS95 would be a fitting way to celebrate 100 years. I could see this being an annual event.

msr
Hmm, I remain to be convinced:

Canadian Minister of Defence, Art Eggleton said "I also hope that all Canadians who see their colleagues at work in uniform will "salute" them."

crossed_axes

Old-Salt
Lots if different views here. Can we agree on two things?

1. The Centenary should be marked somehow - both as a way of raising the profile of the modern TA and as a mark of respect to the thousands of people who have served over the last 100 years

2. The government should come up with some cash so that the events (whatever they are) are done professionally and are not at the expense of training budgets

G

Goku

msr said:
hammockhead said:
HH,

msr
No it’s a bloody stupid idea.

Never mind that I’d look/feel like a complete tit wearing CS95 in the middle of a civvy office, on the train/tube, out for lunch.
I’d rather not attract the attentions of the antiwar hippies and Arabs with a fetish for strapping nail bombs to their chest.

Canada isn’t an AQ recruiting ground for disgruntled Muslims, the UK is.
You’d have better luck asking me to pin a big “kick me” sign to my testicles.

COS1SigBde

Old-Salt
RP578 said:
Wingletang said:
Baz44 said:
The Regular Reserve?
What! you mean the disconnected mass of ex Army (ask yourself why they left) refugees who, incidentally, the MOD can't find after about 2 years due to address changes and the perils of civvy life?

Not a hope. Look at the stats for mobilisations over the last few years - predominantly TA. That is of course the reason why the TA is 'first choice' cos the Regular reserve isn't delivering.

COS1SigBde

Old-Salt
Goku said:
msr said:
hammockhead said:
HH,

msr

Never mind that I’d look/feel like a complete tit wearing CS95 in the middle of a civvy office, on the train/tube, out for lunch.
I’d rather not attract the attentions of the antiwar hippies and Arabs with a fetish for strapping nail bombs to their chest.

Hear hear.

'how to look an idiot day' morelike

The_Duke

LE
Goku said:
msr said:
hammockhead said:
HH,

msr

Goku - I'd be more worried about you being locked up after being confused for a tramp in your grease stained coveralls with egg banjo stains down the front!

On a more serious note, the City Arrsers were having a pint or two outside a pub on the Friday of Remembrance weekend . There were people in uniform rattling poppy tins plus 2 city gents who clipped their medals to their suits at lunchtime and went collecting.

Overall, the response was very good, but I am not sure I would want to try it in an inner city, less tolerant or conservative (small c) area (ie anywhere near my TA centre!).

G

Goku

All well and good but I still wouldn’t be happy about getting on the Tube in green kit.

It also wouldn’t do the TA image any good to see the nations white and blue collar workers turning up to work in uniform.

Can you imagine looking out your window in the morning and seeing a soldier emptying your bins and delivering your mail, or walking into a bank and being served by a squaddie?

It would look sloppy at the very least.

Wearing uniform to work is a bit different to wearing it while collecting for the poppy appeal.

Latest Threads