TA Centenary - How do you think it should be celebrated?

msr

LE
Wingletang said:
Hmm

TA 100 though is a real event - note that the celebrations will be shared with the RFCA's who are equally 100 years old in 2008.

As usual, the thing has to be completed at nil cost - or at least within the normal training budget of the TA.

There is talk of a number of public events, although it remains to be seen which ones survive contact with the TA 100 Steering Group (yes, there is one).
So that will be full of stale, male and pale retired officers, without an operational medal between them who will come up with the following brilliant idea:

1) March through town (free)
2) Have Curry Lunch [TM] at the TAC and invite the old and bold (free, plus a bit of fudging for the food costs)

msr

The_Duke said:
Cardinal,

We all know by now what your favourite soap box issue is. The more realistic of us accept that no system is perfect, and the MOD is certainly not perfect. However, until we reach the Utopia of perfect budget management, more of something will always equal less of something else.

The TA has a budget, which needs to be allocated the best way it can. I believe it is best allocated to training and rewarding the average soldier currently serving - less than 5 years, motivated by bounty. You believe it is best spent rewarding the minority - long serving higher ranking TA soldiers, by means of a pension and higher bounty for them.

You complain about high ranking officers feathering their own nests, but campaign to do exactly the same for yourself - obtain a pension which suits your personal circumstances, but which the more realistic and practical amongst us believe will be at the expense of other soldiers.

If/when they manage the other issues of the budget, then great - push for it all you want. It is way above mine and your pay grade to achieve this.

I will not drag Baz's thread off any further on this - we have covered this to death on the pensions thread.

Duke
Duke, do you hear voices?

msr

LE
Yes, the voice of reason...

msr

msr said:
Wingletang said:
Hmm

TA 100 though is a real event - note that the celebrations will be shared with the RFCA's who are equally 100 years old in 2008.

As usual, the thing has to be completed at nil cost - or at least within the normal training budget of the TA.

There is talk of a number of public events, although it remains to be seen which ones survive contact with the TA 100 Steering Group (yes, there is one).
So that will be full of stale, male and pale retired officers, without an operational medal between them who will come up with the following brilliant idea:

2) Have Curry Lunch [TM] at the TAC and invite the old and bold (free, plus a bit of fudging for the food costs)

msr
MSR, do not be overly critical of those "stale, male, pale officers"! It is not their fault that the "Blair / Bush pantomime" wasn't around when they served! They did their bit, whatever that was, when the TA was what it was when they were serving!!

msr said:
Yes, the voice of reason...

msr
In order to smell the coffee, one must first remove one's head from one's a88sehole!!

msr

LE
Dont_Fear_The_Reaper said:
msr said:
Wingletang said:
Hmm

msr
MSR, do not be overly critical of those "stale, male, pale officers"! It is not their fault that the "Blair / Bush pantomime" wasn't around when they served! They did their bit, whatever that was, when the TA was what it was when they were serving!!
You are right, I am just feeling a tad cynical tonight.

But I bet that is the plan they come up with ;)

msr

msr said:
msr said:
Wingletang said:
Hmm

msr
You are right, I am just feeling a tad cynical tonight.

But I bet that is the plan they come up with ;)

msr
MSR, don't beat yourself up, the plan has worked well for almost a century! :thumright:

The_Duke

LE
The_Duke said:
Cardinal,

We all know by now what your favourite soap box issue is. The more realistic of us accept that no system is perfect, and the MOD is certainly not perfect. However, until we reach the Utopia of perfect budget management, more of something will always equal less of something else.

The TA has a budget, which needs to be allocated the best way it can. I believe it is best allocated to training and rewarding the average soldier currently serving - less than 5 years, motivated by bounty. You believe it is best spent rewarding the minority - long serving higher ranking TA soldiers, by means of a pension and higher bounty for them.

You complain about high ranking officers feathering their own nests, but campaign to do exactly the same for yourself - obtain a pension which suits your personal circumstances, but which the more realistic and practical amongst us believe will be at the expense of other soldiers.

If/when they manage the other issues of the budget, then great - push for it all you want. It is way above mine and your pay grade to achieve this.

I will not drag Baz's thread off any further on this - we have covered this to death on the pensions thread.

Duke
Duke, do you hear voices?
Yes, a constant dull, irritating whine. it sounds like "but I have done this for ages, and I want better terms than I accepted when I joined".

TA 100? Thanks, but if i have to do of all sorts of conferences, meetings, recces and briefings for anything, i want it to be for a really good exercise, not a parade for TA 100.

Cardinal

War Hero
Thats right Duke,

God forbid things should ever improve over 25 years. Much better in the days of flogging, field punishment and damned good hangings. Why common soldiers even express opinions now, disgraceful the sheer insolence of it!

One way or another time and events move on, just because things have been done a certain way for many years does not mean they should never change. The fact they have not changed simply means brain dead senior officers lack the integrity to try and improve things for the soldiers they are supposed to lead, being a "yes man" is so much more productive!

Its no longer 1980, the army gets more from the reservist so the reservist should get more from the army. Not exactly rocket science is it? do more get more, a concept even senior officers should be able to grasp.

Perhaps the best way the TA could celibrate its 100th would for those most senior officers, who are in a position to make a difference, doing so. Trying to improve the terms and conditions of those they are supposed to lead, and I dont just mean pensions, should be in their job description.

Cardinal

Wingletang

War Hero
msr said:
Wingletang said:
Hmm

msr
Cripes, there's a mole - you've seen the plan!

I believe that there will be lots of marching, no doubt in front of a few bemused onlookers, and some 'services' - maybe in a church and maybe not.

It's unlikely to hit the front page of The Times, whatever it is.

......and, of course, there will be a link on a web site, some free pens, and a number of worthy speeches made by some important people.....

If we can get a Queens Jubilee medal, why not a centenary medal?

bampot

Old-Salt
yeah,why don't you walk us down whitehall way ,with half the kit we're supposed to have,ffrs falling to shit,casual labour stamped on our fore head,not worthy of a partial pension.**** off you tadger!

Wingletang

War Hero
bampot said:
yeah,why don't you walk us down whitehall way ,with half the kit we're supposed to have,ffrs falling to s***,casual labour stamped on our fore head,not worthy of a partial pension.* off you tadger!
ironic?

How did you know about Whitehall?

Cardinal

War Hero
1stgulfmac said:
April 1st 2008, what chance the bounty will be paid on time just to celebrate................
And they say I want a lot!

Less chance of this than a pension.

Cardinal

The_Duke

LE
Cardinal said:
Thats right Duke,

God forbid things should ever improve over 25 years. Much better in the days of flogging, field punishment and damned good hangings. Why common soldiers even express opinions now, disgraceful the sheer insolence of it!

One way or another time and events move on, just because things have been done a certain way for many years does not mean they should never change. The fact they have not changed simply means brain dead senior officers lack the integrity to try and improve things for the soldiers they are supposed to lead, being a "yes man" is so much more productive!

Its no longer 1980, the army gets more from the reservist so the reservist should get more from the army. Not exactly rocket science is it? do more get more, a concept even senior officers should be able to grasp.

Perhaps the best way the TA could celibrate its 100th would for those most senior officers, who are in a position to make a difference, doing so. Trying to improve the terms and conditions of those they are supposed to lead, and I dont just mean pensions, should be in their job description.

Cardinal
Next time I see a senior officer, I will try and remember to pass on your views. In the meantime, I will continue to work within the constraints that exist (specifically time and money) to produce the most enjoyable and relevant training I can for the soldiers.

I accept the fact that most of them will have moved on before they need to exchange their first pair of boots. However, if they enjoy their time with the TA, get some benefit from it, and possibly give some benefit back in the form of a tour then I have done my job. I do my best to ensure that they receive their pay and bounty promptly and accurately IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS THEY ACCEPTED WHEN THEY SIGNED UP.

I guess that is the difference - some work from within to do the best they can. Some stand on the sides and criticise, always seeking the best they can get for themselves whilst adding little.

I will look forward to my Curry Lunch(TM) in 2008 then.

hammockhead

Old-Salt
If you are going to do a parade, at least have a massive one somewhere in the face of the public, rather hidden away in Horseguards like RNR100, which got zip coverage in the media - even the Navy News didn't think it worthy of mention!

That said, at least we were all in No. 1s.

msr said:

msr
I understand your frustration but your comment is wrong on several counts, msr. It doesn't matter how senior, bemedalled, up-to-date or even suntanned (though why being pale is an issue is beyond me, suntans do fade you know) you are, if you aren't given a budget the resulting plan won't be a grand one.

Question:

What is it we're celebrating?

The glories of the past?, the fact that it's lasted this long?, the fact that we still don't get a pension (or any other benefits)?, the fact that the Army has finally realised what utility we have?,

what?

If we could define the reason, then we might be able to decide upon the appropriate celebration.

Cardinal

War Hero
A massive Royal Tournament type affair, in London with all the kit, demo's, recruiting and publicity.

TA bands playing, one of the TA Cdo or Para units doing something visually spectacular. Borrow a few tanks from the regs and get the Yeomanry to let people have a play, same for the gunners.

Ask the various Army and Commando display teams how its done, the CDT from RM Poole do a very good display and following their example would reap benifits. Lots of positive information on deployments to show the TA to be real soldiers not Dads Army.

Get media ops to arrange proper TV and press coverage.

Cardinal

The_Duke

LE
Possibly hijack the Lord Mayor's parade for London/southern units? It is a well rehearsed event, and will require little additional work or costs.

Units could parade with their current kit and kit from 100 years ago (or as far back as they can go for us yonger Regiments!) sourced from Regimental museums.

Spectators could try and spot the differences.

Latest Threads